Chevron ProGard (includes Techron)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see too much mention of the Chevron ProGard fuel system cleaner. My understanding from reading product labels and the info on ChevronTexaco's web site is it's a less aggressive cleaner than Techron. ProGard contains Techron, but in less concentration than the Techron product itself.

One person on a different thread a few months back mentioned, politely, to stay away from ProGard, while recommending Techron. Is that because the ProGard is thought to be not strong enough to do much good, or because it is thought to actually do harm?

I've been using this stuff every 2-3000 miles for the past 6-12 months as a preventive measure / routine maintenance type of thing. Costco has four 16 oz. bottles for $10 which is less than half of the store price per oz. and hard for me to pass up when I shop there! I typically add a bottle to a near-empty tank right before fillup but last time I added 2 bottles at the same time. Recommendation is one bottle with up to 16 gallons gas, IIRC.

Any opinions on Chevron ProGard?

[ December 20, 2002, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: bluedevils ]

giles, thanks for your feedback.

No Chevron gas available here in Michigan. Usually Mobil, 1/3 of the time Speedway (if it's more than 6-7 cents a gallon less than Mobil). That's about it. Occasionally Shell and Amoco.

The ProGard may indeed be excessive every 2-3k miles, but at less than $2.50 a bottle it's not really a big waste of money.

It sounds like it's a good choice for your situation since you don't have any Chevron's around. It only adds a couple cents/gal on average based upon your usage pattern.

Giles, have you ever heard anything about ProGard? Any anecdotal opinions etc? Obviously, the cost is no big deal but I'm wondering if it's doing any good or if I should step up to a more serious cleaner such as Techron, Neutra, etc.

What gas are you using? If you are running Chevron gas you probably don't need it. If you aren't running Chevron why not?

I think the every 2000 to 3000 miles is excessive and a waste of money. I've never added fuel additives to my Camry and it runs fine after 100,000 miles but I run mostly Shell gasoline. Chevron is at least as good as Shell gas in my opinion.

I wished I could help you out on that but I haven't heard of it. If it's made by Chevron, it probably is good though.

I recommend against Pro-Guard, mostly from an economics standpoint. IME, ProGuard doesn't cost that much less than pure Techron, and gives you less active ingredient. I doubt it's 'bad' as such, just not as cost effective.

$0.02,
Robert

I can buy Pro-Gard much more cheaply than Techron. 4-pack of 16 fl oz bottles ProGard for 10 bucks at local Costco Wholesale. Techron is around 6 bucks for a single 12 fl oz bottle, IIRC. That's a HUGE difference.

Now it's still possible that the ProGard is a worthless additive. But at least it's not an EXPENSIVE worthless additive!

I have never considered stocking the Progard. Techron is so amazing every 5000 km, and super economical applied that way. The only car of mine that might get it more often than that is my wife's BMW, where the odometer doesn't work. I add a bottle of Techron whenever it starts to run a little rough (best gas here is 90 octane with no additives - most stations dilute it with 80 octane to make more money).

My opinion comes from the experience of others on the neon list, my own experience, and the pictures on the glossy topper you find on the bottles in the store. The only version of Techron that gets carbon off the valves and the piston is the "Concentrate". The other varieties are injector cleaners, too weak to be worth using IMHO. Maybe two bottles in a tank would work, I don't know, but since that would cost you $5, and that's the same price I just bought the Concentrate for at Advance Auto Parts, you wouldn't come out ahead by using the ProGuard. My advice is shop around for the best deal on Concentrate and know that you aren't wasting your time or money.

If money is a factor, I'd suggest using SeaFoam instead, its just as effective or more so, and costs less. The only downside is it comes in a metal can with no built-in funnel, so you have to use your own funnel. That doesn't slow me down much. I use both, but due to cost I am leaning towards the SeaFoam more these days.

Can Techron be used in Diesel fuel?
What is good for cleaning diesel injectors?
biggthumbcoffe.gif

synergyn makes an excellent complete fuel additive called" preventalube" it cleans everything and lubes the upper cylinder's i notice a hugh difference..you can find synergyn at the race shops

I have read several articles on Techron, and based upon the data read, nothing has been formulated in the automotive industry since its creation that surpasses it for keeping the engine valves and heads clean. In my Viper and Lingenfelter Corvette I add a bottle every 3,000 miles, while using 93 octane white gas.

Costco sells techron 6 bottles for 19.99 but their website said 25, but the one I went to sold it for 19.99

this isn't a trick is it? that seems really cheap and if there's a rebate sometime on it, that's even better, but this isn't pro gard is it they sell at costco? do they sell pro gard or techron at sam's club? is pro gard vastly inferior or is it just techron watered down as I've heard?

which is better to add to your gas, seaform, marvel mystery oil, or chevron techron? I heard all three are good but maybe serve difference purposes, or can you combine them and put all three in your gas tank at the same time?

That Chevron Product is a Fuel Additive, not an Oil Additive.
grin2.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/37/1/Fuels_and_Fuel_Additives:_Gaso

sleep.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back