STP "Multi Purpose Lubricant"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.....my local walmart just got this stuff in, couple weeks ago down the oil aisle....appears to be the "Sea Foam Competitor"
smile.gif
In fact, same bottle design (yes, the annoying domed top that is hard to maneuver into some gas tanks....), and $2 CHEAPER even (with the current $1 off coupon floating around my store anyhow...).

So....curious I was, at what this stuff really is...I was reading the bottle, seems very much similar to Seafoam, same applications, same uses....BUT it does have an "extra" added use as a "quick flush" - 1 pint (the full can) to a 5 qt. crankcase, with the engine idling for 10 minutes, prior to oil change.....

The other directions, seemed very similar to Seafoam, 1.5 oz. per quart of oil, added to the crankcase, post-oil change, or "pre-oil change" (i.e. 400 miles before next oil change).

1 can to the gas tank, treats 16-30 gallons of fuel, with the same "benefits" of Sea Foam.....

The big "attack" seems to be about alcohol, and how the STP product does "NOT" contain any alcohol which can harm traditional combustion.....or something like that....I can sorta understand it....but then I think back 10, 20, 30 years ago, and my dad used HEET all the time! Which is basically the same thing, Isopropanol (aka, 100% rubbing alcohol.....the stuff you get in the pharmacy over the counter is likely only 93% "alcohol", the rest is h2o :p)....but yea, and he never had car problems...

Sooooo.....with the addition of the "quick flush method" my thought, is this stuff must be an actual "oil" since they are notating a use as a quick flush.

Sooo.....as any curious BITOG'er, I perused the web for the latest and greatest MSDS....

Sure enough, found it, quite crisp even, dated 6-2011
shocked.gif

And wow, what a bland MSDS....
Quote:
Ingredients Concentration Worker Exposure Limit
Petroleum naphtha, hydrotreated light 10 - 100% 1200 mg/m3
TWAb

CAS # 64742-47-8
Diphenylamine 0 - 10% 10 mg/m3
TLV-TWAa
CAS # 122-39-4
a
TLV-TWA = ACGIH Threshold Limit Value - Time Weighted Average
b
Based on supplier recommendation.
None of the ingredients in the product are on the IARC, NTP, or OSHA carcinogen lists.

So....I did some Searches (thank you BITOG by the way...lol - some of the chemicals have been referenced here previously....

Petroleum naphtha, hydrotreated light CAS # 64742-47-8 was the first one I looked up....with a concentration of 10-100% which appears to also be in the Chevron Techron bottles, as well as Johnson's Fuel Injection Cleaner, some car wax.....some sources says it's equivalent to "Mineral Spirits", or "low odor solvent"

Then there's the Diphenylamine CAS # 122-39-4 at 0-10%

And that's the one I wasn't too familar with....Wikipedia points to some usage in apples..use as a pre or post-harvest "scald inhibitor" for apples....basically protects the apple from oxidation during storage....nifty eh?

That particular chemical has shown up on these forums....but only in "motor oil" threads....not as additive use
smile.gif
one Briggs and Straton oil thread, one Mobil Drive Clean Blend thread, a "Pennzoil" thread that referenced this chemical use in some Amsoil oil, as well as a Mobil 7500 SM thread.

But as with all MSDS, we gotta be careful....they clearly do not tell the whole story :p I can't see that STP bottle containing 90% mineral spirits, and this apple tree antioxident :p

I have avoided STP products ever since someone told me that STP = Studebaker Testing Products. And that was awhile ago. Today I can find more well regarded products (in my mind).

But when I was a teenager I would walk into Pep Boys with a little money in my pocket looking to buy a container of something for my Mustang.

Last edited:
This product appears to be designed to be an antioxidant for winter storage and/or to prevent oil thickening with extended OCIs. It seems to be targeting a market segment somewhere between LC20 and Sta-Bil...

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Is this the same as what you found?

http://www.stp.com/products/multipurpose-additives/multipurpose-motor-treatment/
I'm guessing so, as that is the product that is appearing on the shelves at my local WM....they are calling it a "multipurpose" additive...simply because it can be used in multiple areas. Seems to also be some excellent video reviews on youtube about it...

I may give it a shot....since it IS cheaper than Seafoam...especiually with the $1 off STP products coupon(s) floating around my local WM.

But yea, quite an eye opener though...looked at the bottle myself, and the only "difference" seems to be the added "fast flush" method, which states 1 can (which is a pint) added to 5 qts of oil, let idle for 10 minutes prior to oil change...then drain as normal and refill as directed.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
So.....my local walmart just got this stuff in, couple weeks ago down the oil aisle....appears to be the "Sea Foam Competitor"
smile.gif
In fact, same bottle design (yes, the annoying domed top that is hard to maneuver into some gas tanks....), and $2 CHEAPER even (with the current $1 off coupon floating around my store anyhow...).

So....curious I was, at what this stuff really is...I was reading the bottle, seems very much similar to Seafoam, same applications, same uses....BUT it does have an "extra" added use as a "quick flush" - 1 pint (the full can) to a 5 qt. crankcase, with the engine idling for 10 minutes, prior to oil change.....

The other directions, seemed very similar to Seafoam, 1.5 oz. per quart of oil, added to the crankcase, post-oil change, or "pre-oil change" (i.e. 400 miles before next oil change).

1 can to the gas tank, treats 16-30 gallons of fuel, with the same "benefits" of Sea Foam.....

The big "attack" seems to be about alcohol, and how the STP product does "NOT" contain any alcohol which can harm traditional combustion.....or something like that....I can sorta understand it....but then I think back 10, 20, 30 years ago, and my dad used HEET all the time! Which is basically the same thing, Isopropanol (aka, 100% rubbing alcohol.....the stuff you get in the pharmacy over the counter is likely only 93% "alcohol", the rest is h2o :p)....but yea, and he never had car problems...

Sooooo.....with the addition of the "quick flush method" my thought, is this stuff must be an actual "oil" since they are notating a use as a quick flush.

Sooo.....as any curious BITOG'er, I perused the web for the latest and greatest MSDS....

Sure enough, found it, quite crisp even, dated 6-2011
shocked.gif

And wow, what a bland MSDS....
Quote:
Ingredients Concentration Worker Exposure Limit
Petroleum naphtha, hydrotreated light 10 - 100% 1200 mg/m3
TWAb

CAS # 64742-47-8
Diphenylamine 0 - 10% 10 mg/m3
TLV-TWAa
CAS # 122-39-4
a
TLV-TWA = ACGIH Threshold Limit Value - Time Weighted Average
b
Based on supplier recommendation.
None of the ingredients in the product are on the IARC, NTP, or OSHA carcinogen lists.

So....I did some Searches (thank you BITOG by the way...lol - some of the chemicals have been referenced here previously....

Petroleum naphtha, hydrotreated light CAS # 64742-47-8 was the first one I looked up....with a concentration of 10-100% which appears to also be in the Chevron Techron bottles, as well as Johnson's Fuel Injection Cleaner, some car wax.....some sources says it's equivalent to "Mineral Spirits", or "low odor solvent"

Then there's the Diphenylamine CAS # 122-39-4 at 0-10%

And that's the one I wasn't too familar with....Wikipedia points to some usage in apples..use as a pre or post-harvest "scald inhibitor" for apples....basically protects the apple from oxidation during storage....nifty eh?

That particular chemical has shown up on these forums....but only in "motor oil" threads....not as additive use
smile.gif
one Briggs and Straton oil thread, one Mobil Drive Clean Blend thread, a "Pennzoil" thread that referenced this chemical use in some Amsoil oil, as well as a Mobil 7500 SM thread.

But as with all MSDS, we gotta be careful....they clearly do not tell the whole story :p I can't see that STP bottle containing 90% mineral spirits, and this apple tree antioxident :p

To be clear here, if you look at the specific CAS number, the 10-100% is Aviation Grade Kerosene.

The Diphenylamine is an antioxidant for both oil and fuel.

Unless there is something here that does not show up on an MSDS, this is nothing but Kerosene with an anitoxidant - not much cleaning ability here and far inferior to seafoam in which it seams to be competing.

I found this today at a local Canadian Tire Store.

Exact same can as Seafoam, and yeah, $2-$4 cheaper than Seafoam, depending on where you get it.

I'd say yes...alcohol is an effective solvent, so it would clean more than 90% kero and 10% antioxidant would.

I believe the alcohol may be primarily to remove any water from the fuel, which is a traditional role for IPA (rubbing alcohol) in aftermarket fuel additives. I'd suggest that STP (and one of the other aftermarket brands, I forget which) have seen Seafoam sell well and said "We want a piece o' dat!" So their competing products are very similar in not just their packaging (that same metallic bottle), but also in their applications and probably even performance as well. If you're into this stuff, since their MSDSs are somewhat similar, I'd suggest going with the cheapest price on whichever brand is on sale at a given time.

Well, that's the issue here, TC. The MSDS are not "similar" here at all
wink.gif
And yes.....there seems to be a "new kid on the block" now too.....CRC has joined the scene and now have a "Multi Use Lubricant" - in, I believe the same/similar can
wink.gif
Kind of strange hehe......but in all honesty, it makes sense..Seafoam is making a killing off this stuff......so why not use their same can shape (though I liked their old cans better.....) and put a different brand on the outside, and slightly different chemicals within....hehe.

I don't understand STP's whole "antioxidant" deal.....perhaps OK for the gas.....but I can't see it doing anything for the engine......obviously.....the Kerosene is great.....old timers have been running that (dry gas) in their tanks, and engines for years
wink.gif
Nothing new there :p

OK, thanks for reminding us of the CRC option as well, Tommygun.

SEAFOAM MOTOR TREATMENT
40-60% Pale oil CAS 64742-54-7
25-35% Naphtha (Heptane) CAS 64742-49-0
10-20% IPA CAS 67-63-0

CRC MOTOR TREATMENT
45-55% Hydrotreated heavy paraffinic distillate (Pale oil) CAS 64742-54-7
30-40% Mineral spirits (Kerosene) CAS 8052-41-3
10-20% 2-Butoxy ethanol CAS 111-76-2

STP MULTIPURPOSE MOTOR TREATMENT
10-100% Petroleum naphtha, hydrotreated light (Mineral spirits, kerosene) CAS 64742-47-8
0-10% Diphenylamine CAS 122-39-4

The Seafoam and CRC products are pretty similar, about half pale oil and one-third solvent, plus 10-20% unicorn juice, possibly for water removal from fuels. STP says, “We don’t need no stinkin’ oil!” and simply removes that from the mix, sticking with an oily solvent instead. Not sure what the Diphenylamine is for (I’m thinking the Chinese might put that in their baby formula when melamine isn’t available), but if it’s possibly 0% by volume, only the “Tanning Mom” cares. As to whether the “oil” formulas (Seafoam, CRC) or “non-oil” formula (STP) are better, only my dog knows for sure, and he ain’t talkin’. Note that Marvel Mystery Oil is 70-100% “Fine white mineral oil,” so the inclusion of light oils seems popular among the makers of these multipurpose products. Degreasing one’s hands with baby oil works quite well, so I guess that all makes sense. In my opinion, oil-biased cleaners = “Clean Slower / Lower Risk,” while solvent-biased cleaners = “Clean Faster / Higher Risk,” the risk of course being chunks of motor boogers breaking free and blocking an oil passage.

Originally Posted By: TC
OK, thanks for reminding us of the CRC option as well, Tommygun.

SEAFOAM MOTOR TREATMENT
40-60% Pale oil CAS 64742-54-7
25-35% Naphtha (Heptane) CAS 64742-49-0
10-20% IPA CAS 67-63-0

CRC MOTOR TREATMENT
45-55% Hydrotreated heavy paraffinic distillate (Pale oil) CAS 64742-54-7
30-40% Mineral spirits (Kerosene) CAS 8052-41-3
10-20% 2-Butoxy ethanol CAS 111-76-2

STP MULTIPURPOSE MOTOR TREATMENT
10-100% Petroleum naphtha, hydrotreated light (Mineral spirits, kerosene) CAS 64742-47-8
0-10% Diphenylamine CAS 122-39-4

The Seafoam and CRC products are pretty similar, about half pale oil and one-third solvent, plus 10-20% unicorn juice, possibly for water removal from fuels. STP says, “We don’t need no stinkin’ oil!” and simply removes that from the mix, sticking with an oily solvent instead. Not sure what the Diphenylamine is for (I’m thinking the Chinese might put that in their baby formula when melamine isn’t available), but if it’s possibly 0% by volume, only the “Tanning Mom” cares. As to whether the “oil” formulas (Seafoam, CRC) or “non-oil” formula (STP) are better, only my dog knows for sure, and he ain’t talkin’. Note that Marvel Mystery Oil is 70-100% “Fine white mineral oil,” so the inclusion of light oils seems popular among the makers of these multipurpose products. Degreasing one’s hands with baby oil works quite well, so I guess that all makes sense. In my opinion, oil-biased cleaners = “Clean Slower / Lower Risk,” while solvent-biased cleaners = “Clean Faster / Higher Risk,” the risk of course being chunks of motor boogers breaking free and blocking an oil passage.

lol unicorn juice, the substitute for unicorn tears in the absence thereof. I use it intead of Methanol and Nitrous Oxide as a cooling effect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back