The New Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay folks, so I went to Walmart to check out this new Fram filter. I have been reading a lot about Fram, and have found some new information regarding their products. I am part of a few Jeep Forums, and one of the gentleman on there got to visit their factory. Needless to say, they are a lot better than most people say. I do not want to get into a debate about this, and I am sure many people will still dislike them. However, I just wanted to post a few pics of the new filter. Now granted, I have never used a Fram, but I am now willing to give them a try. This filter was made very well, and was heavy as all heck. It was made in USA, which is important to me. It is replacing the Extended Guard Filter. This new one has glass media filtration, and a longer oil change interval if I remember correctly. Also, it now filters 99 percent of the debris rather than 97 percent. Hope some can enjoy this. I am sorry some of the pics are not the greatest. I had to break the plastic seal to open this up, so I was in a rush.

Christopher

Last edited:
I would buy it in a heartbeat. As you can see from my sig, I am using the bottom barrel and top of the line frams in both of my cars now. I'm pretty sure that their quality has come a long way since the OCOD thing.

Thank you for your pics and time!

hardcore302,

You are welcome! It is my pleasure. I hope others can enjoy. I have always used PureOne, and Napa Gold. I am going to try these out on my next change. It will be paired with my NextGen Maxlife/Napa Full Synthetic mix.

Originally Posted By: Since1941
hardcore302,

You are welcome! It is my pleasure. I hope others can enjoy. I have always used PureOne, and Napa Gold. I am going to try these out on my next change. It will be paired with my NextGen Maxlife/Napa Full Synthetic mix.

I was thikning about using NextGen in both of my cars for the oci after next (got some Mobil 1 and M1 filter for an excellent price for the stang, and a stellar price on X guard and Peak conv. for the vue). Anyway, those are next but again, I wanna try that NextGen. Seems logical. Not afraid of re-refined oil. Goes through the same process. Why not , ya know?>

I have been using it for a little bit now. My brother uses it on his JK Unlimited wrangler. Engine is spotless, and runs quiet and cool. Mine is doing the same, but I think my PureOne is causing a little start up noise. I just bought more NextGen today. Got a jug of NextGen Maxlife for 15.00. Going to blend it with 1 quart of Napa Full Synthetic(Valvoline).

should be the same good filtr as the extended guards... they didnt even bother to change the part numbers.

Fram's upper-end filters are good stuff; not at all like the OCOD. OTOH, Fram's upper-end fitlers also cost about what other brands do in similar comparable routes; PureOne, M1, high-end Bosch, etc all are very similar in construction goals and performance.

Like many things in life, you get what you pay for. Question is: do you "need" what you're buying, or is it just a "want"???

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I'm pretty sure that their quality has come a long way since the OCOD thing.

Are you from the future? Fram still makes and sells the 'OCOD'.

People get too fixated on a name. A company builds some low end products or has a bad product for a period of time in the past, does that mean they must be cursed, shunned and untouchable for eternity? You gotta keep taking a fresh look at things. A detailed look. People change, companies change, products change. If a particular product is no good by some objective standard, don't buy it. Don't NOT buy something merely for the name printed on it.

I would not hestitate to use the Fram upper-end products at all. I personally shy away from the OCOD because I don't like the construction.

However, I'd be the first to admit the OCOD seems to work just fine for (quite literally) millions of vehicles on the road. My BIL uses them exclusively on his Nissan; nearly 200k miles on it with OEM 7.5k mile OCIs and not one lube/filter related issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I'm pretty sure that their quality has come a long way since the OCOD thing.

Are you from the future? Fram still makes and sells the 'OCOD'.

by thing i meant the way people badmouthing the orange can and have never used them .

I like these filters, have used the XG since it came out. First I heard of the Ultra. Wish Fram would stop blundering its marketing. I'm used to "XG" meaning Xtended Guard, couldn't they change it to "UG"? would that be so hard? And what website is that (m.fram.com)? The main Fram website with the application lookup (fram.com) makes no mention of the Ultra.

LeakySeals,

I am not sure what the m.fram.com is? I just googled the filter when I first read about it. That site had a pic of it. So, I went to Walmart to confirm, and that is when I found it, and took pictures. I have never personally put a Fram on my car; that does not mean a lube shop hasn't. However, I just wanted to get some pics and start a thread since people are so anti Fram. I know I was hesitant about using their products after hearing bad information.

This would go well with PU. PU + FU = win
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Since1941
LeakySeals,

OK. I am not sure what the m.fram.com is? I just googled the filter when I first read about it. That site had a pic of it. So, I went to Walmart to confirm, and that is when I found it, and took pictures. I have never personally put a Fram on my car; that does not mean a lube shop hasn't. However, I just wanted to get some pics and start a thread since people are so anti Fram. I know I was hesitant about using their products after hearing bad information.

A lube shop would not use these, too expensive. Dont confuse the orange frams with these. Completely different, Has metal endcaps, and many other features including synthetic media and screens for media stability. Are you familiar with the xtended guard (XG)? Go look at that dissected, the Ultra appears to be a 99% version of the XG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back