Those with a Jeep & the AX-15 Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been in search of a good oil for the AX-15. Chrysler now states you can use plain old 10w30 motor oil. As many know, the brass synchros in the AX-15 are subject to damage due to sulfur; the gearing is brass and soft yellow metals. Many folks recommend the MT-90 by Redline. It is on the expensive side.

However, I called Valvoline today, and inquired about their Synpower 75/90 gear lube. Many have wanted to use it, but where concerned because it is GL-5, and that has high levels of sulfur, thus in return, causing gear wear. Well, after speaking with Valvoline they re-assured me, that their oil has an inactive sulfate, that will not cause damage to yellow metals. He said, all their lubes are yellow metal safe.

So, if anyone was wanting to use Synpower such as myself, you can now be assured you will be okay. I have just been using 10w30 motor oil, and it has been okay. I have thought about the MT-90, but may just give this a try as I have been happy with Valvoline products. Hope this may be of some help

Christopher

What about Pennzoil synchromesh? I have never been partial to Valvoline. Why the brand loyalty for their gear lube? Just curious

No brand loyalty. If that was the case I wouldn't have Pennzoil Ultra in my Titan. I have heard Synchromesh is okay, but when I spoke with Pennzoil they said for the AX-15 it is not recommended. They also stated, it is too thin.

As far as Valvoline goes; their stuff just works well especially in Jeeps. I have a lot of friends who use their products, and lubes. Chrysler also uses all their lubes for gear, trans exc. Also, as far as differentials go, synthetic is not recommended. Currie industries did a test with synthetic gear lube in Dana axles, and their tests showed increased heat, and break down as opposed to non-synthetic.

Anytime man. I have been learning a lot myself. I love my Jeeps, so I pay close attention to things. I like Valvoline because many tests have shown it works well in vehicles, and it is easy to get. There are lots of good lube makers, but I am just trying to find one I like. I have been using Maxlife Nextgen in my Jeep, and it has been awesome. Pennzoil, and all other makers are good too. Not hear to start a debate. Just trying to help some people. Glad you learned something

Granted it's a Jeep and it will likely run a quarter million on olive oil I'd still be partial towards a specific lube such as a MTL.

Molakule once offered examples of GL4's that wouldn't be to hard to come by in his GL4/5 and syncromesh post.

"3. 75W85 Series-Type; 9.8 to 11.5 cSt ( Redline's MTL, RP's Synchromax LT, Nissan's MTL, Honda MTL, Castrol Syntorq LT)
4. 75W90 Series-Type; 12.8 to 14.5 cSt (Amsoil's MTG, Redline's MT-90)."

To bad my heep has an auto otherwise I'd give them a try!

mt90, is what u need don't risk the syncros, that tranny will last very long..... IF you use the right fluids..Also its time to change your motor mount bolts. The ax15/4.0l combos have issues with shearing motor mount bolts off trust me.... do a search. There are two ways to take care of this. Change the bolts frequently as they fatigue over time, or they make a redesigned motor mount braket that solves it. The motor mount bolts are easy if intact, once they break they suck to extract..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back