Found out hard way about GM 5.3 T-Stat's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered 2 new T-Stats from rock auto for a 2000 Silverado and a 2003 Tahoe. I was going to perform a DIY coolant system flush so I thought it was cheap insurance to replace the t-stats while I was at it.

I ordered the t-stat's by themselves, not the t-stat/housing assembly combo.

When I took off the Tahoe's t-stat it wouldnt come out the housing. I then figured out it wasnt supposed to come apart!

I didnt even know it came as an assembly and dont know why rock auto sells them individually..

I just put the original housing with t-stat back on and continued with coolant flush.

Now I have two t-staat paper weights!

At least they were less than $6 each!

Are those the original thermostats?

I have heard before that sometimes aftermarket thermostats are built into the housing and as a result, they must be replaced as one assembly.

Maybe just little mods over the years meant it could be removed? That sounds odd if its all one part. Guess nothing is as easy as it sounds :p

With the thermostat you should have gotten a cardboard cylinder you put it over the end of the tstat and it'll rest on the lips where the stat locks into the housing push down and turn it pops right out installation is the revers. I looked it up on auto zone I can see a picture. It does come apart. Even though they sell them as 1 piece. My Saturn is this way once you figure it out its much nicer. IMO

Some MB thermostats are built into the housing, below is the '00 E430 thermostat picture. I saw pictures of other brands and they are similar.

I paid only $7 for this Wahler thermostat.
W01331627834WAH.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Some MB thermostats are built into the housing, below is the '00 E430 thermostat picture. I saw pictures of other brands and they are similar.

You and The Critic are on the money. I was surprised to see how common this setup is these days.

That Wahler t-stat housing is a work of art how it's cast/machined.

I can see at 2 and 8 oclock the ears that hold it in though. Just push in and twist. Use about a 7/8" socket or the cardboard "tampon applicator" that usually comes with the stat.

Had a ford focus t-stat come my way that was stuck in this plastic box held together with coarse threaded screws that looked like they were self tapping. Incredibly I got it apart and back together again without leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back