How good is Peak conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at Peak motor oil deals going right now. How good is this oil? There is very little information on it. About the only piece of information I see is the PQIA VOA report here:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/January2012A/January2012R2/Peak.htm

I am not a chemistst, so I don't know what to make of it. It seems like the additive content is comparable to the averages of all test oils. In fact TBN and Molybdenum are a little above average, which are thought to be a good metric here. What about the base stock? How good is it?

The oils I want to compare Peak oil to are Valvoline Nextgen. I have been thinking of picking up Nextgen for cars that use 5W20, since so many deals are going on right now for Nextgen and Maxlife Nextgen, but Nextgen 5W20 appears to be more or less an "average" brand name oil, with the only notable thing going for it so far is that it's based on re-refined base oil, with additive package not being outstanding (correct me if this is wrong). On the other hand, NextGen Maxlife 5W20 (my preference, since it has better additive pack and semi-synthetic base oil) is pretty much not available as a part of many deals going on right now. In fact, the only way to buy it appears through special order from Walmart. So I am thinking of getting batch of Peak 5W20 instead.

(BTW: That's for a 2005 Ford 500.. this car could easily work with 5W30, but I want to explore what deals I can have for it with the recommended 5W20 grades).

Last edited:
When PEAK oil first arrived in my area, around the summer 2009, PebBoys had a great deal. 5qts PEAK oil and a Proline(a.k.a Purolator knockoffs) filter, Free After Rebate and you were allowed 10qts/2 filters(2 rebates)

Myself, wife and daughter each went into PB's and each bought our allotment of the Peak FAR specila...So we had 30qts/6 filter. I used most of it in my daughters car and some in the other cars. In each case, the oil made our engines smoother and quieter than some oils held in high regard here at BITOG. So, I would put it up there with any oil for normal OCI's

There are lots of threads here at Bob's on Peak oil and how much some folks like myself are fond of the oil. Others don't seem to have the passion for the oil as they can often get other name brand oils for about the same price.

But, that FAR deal sold me on PEAK oil and I would buy it again when I need oil and when on sale/rebate as I usually buy my oil anyway. There are some good deals going on with the Peak/DriveWorks filters at AdvAutoParts.

Use Peak oil with confidence as they seem to be making a name in the market place with their oil(s) including their NEW synthetic oil. And too, they're offering more grades now. At one time all I could fine was PEAK conventional oil in 5W30 and 10W30. I believe there are other grades such as 5W20 and 10W40 in both the dino and syn.

Their grade variety may be different across the country, IDK!

SHORT ANSWER: Peak oil is a very good oil and don't listen to anyone who says Valvoline's additive packs are weak because they don't know what they are talking about.

Isnt Peak,actually Warren Oil? If so,like WM ST its a decent oil.Danica wouldnt steer you wrong....would she?

The syn. version 0-20 in the voa section is not what i would want in a oil. But that is not what this thread is about. Either way you could do alot worse.

it's in my dad's 1991 mercury colony park (10w30) and i plan to leave it in for the year (3-6k/yr he drives). so far oil has stayed clean, and i say the car drives quieter, smoother. GOOD OIL

I have over 40 quarts of it, mostly synthetic. I will keep using it as long as the price is right. It is a good product.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Man this question get asked (and answered) 2x a week! Is the PEAK marketing dept at work here?

Sorry man.. I googled and saw no solid answers. There is no good substitute for having a few UOAs which Peak conventional does not seem tohave.

It has a solid add pack, and so should be as good as any other oil with a similar add pack.
I'd use it over most oils containing sodium, but that's just me, and I've also got three cars on oil containing sodium at the moment, should anyone happen to look at my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back