Boron (anti-wear additive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I've just become a member
smile.gif
. This forum has been very helpful for my V-8 Trans Am, turbo Eagle Talon, and oil drinking Saturn.

I subscribe a magazine, 'Machinery Lubrication.' While I was reading the Nov/Dec issue, I saw an ad of anti-wear additive called Lubron. This stuff is based on Boron CLS Bond, which was developed by Argonne Laboratories. After spending whole weekend reading this stuff, this stuff has lots of scientific proofs & test results. I've found three web sites that are related to this Boron stuff.
www.luboron.com
www.motorsilk.com
www.biolubrication.com

As an automotive engineer, I am a hard-core Mobil 1 believer. My cars get nothing but M1 (except for my Saturn). I don't buy any engine treatment nor oil additives. However, this stuff did really convince me to try this stuff out. Is this another B.S. like PTFE crap? I'd like to hear your honest opinion. Thanks.

[ January 06, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: TurboFrog ]

I was impressed with what I read there some 6-12mths ago although MotorSilk and LubriSilk differentation a little confusing. With Argonnes reputation and the list of companies using/evaluating Boron CLS Bond and some military tie up (F18 oleo strut was one if I remember correctly) I'd sure like to know more.

Two others of interest I found (guess how much time I spend websurfing?) are Forsan metal synthetizer from Russia and ZX1 Extralube from UK. The Forsan looks particularly interesting with its metal/ceramic protective layer and ability to restore worn parts. www.tech-db.ru/istc/db/ta.nsf/wtan/0001 explains all. My partner is Russian born in Sydney, her parents Russian from Harbin in China and never been to Russia (work that out) so I get to hear about lots of Russian type things. Supposedly they didn't have Teflon in space race years and came up with some other interesting products. And i'm told ROIL Gold from Neways U.S may have a Russian heritage?

Tribiological films that reduce friction, by whatever mechanism, is not new technology, it's just now being implemented after years of theoretical work.

Exxon/Mobil and others had developed zero-phosphorus AW additives composed of Sodium triborates and Calcium/Boron sulfonates back between 1989 and 1991.

Argonne and other laboratories have triboligists and chemists working on some very exotic lubricants that the public will not see until about 2050.

Recall that late last year R.T. Vanderbuilt (an additive maker) introduced a new Borate Ester anti-wear/EP component.

[ January 06, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I didn't see any studies or statistics to give me any confidence how well it works in Automotive applications. Just a bunch of theory and claims of reduced friction. One claim is that it reduces engine wear by 90%. That would mean an engine that lasts 100,000 miles would now last almost a million miles!

Souds very interesting, but who's going to be the first to try it?

"One claim is that it reduces engine wear by 90%. "

90% over what??? That's hype in my view.

However, I do think it has merit, and if it doesn't cost too much (a relative term), add it to the oil and do a VOA/UOA and see if there is any improvement.

I do intend to acquire some of Luboron's hydraulic fluid additive and add it to a woodsplitter and see if temps and Hp requirements go down.

Is a Timken machine the only way to simulate and verify the effectivenss of anti-wear additives? I remeber seeing Dura-Lube or Prolong (I am not sure which one) on one of Timken machines in their TV commercials. It demonstrated that there were minimal wears on the bearing. But we all know that those stuffs simply don't work in engines.

What other tests can be done beside the Timken machine test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back