1988 Toyota Land Cruiser 3FE oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, first post here. Looking for some suggestions for my Cruiser.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
1988 Toyota Land Cruiser, 4.0 liter I6 with EFI. Big, slow revving engine, almost a diesel design.
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
API grade SF or SF/CC. Multi grade and fuel efficient. SAE 10W-30 if normal temperatures are above 0* F.
3. Where you live
Salt Lake City, Utah
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Somewhere between normal and spirited. A decent pace.
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
When I use my cruiser, its mainly on highway trips to 4x4 trails, very occasional normal highway/road use.
6. Whether your car has any known problems
It has a 1990 engine that had a lot of work done on it, so its really tight. When I got the replacement engine, it had a lot of sludge, but most of it is out now.

I've been considering the Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic and the Mobil 1 10W-30 high milage. Would these be good choices?

Thanks!

I don't think that this old school beast needs M1 in any flavor.
Any 10W-30 HDEO or PCMO should work well in this engine, and a 15W-40 HDEO might be even better.
Were it mine, I'd use whatever 10W-30, 10W-40 or 15W-40 I had on hand.
I don't think that this engine is going to be really picky about the oil you give it.

You may want to use good conventional oil such as Pennzoil, Mobil Super ... 5-10W30 for 2-3 shorts, 3-4k miles, oil change interval(OCI) to clean up all remaining sludge, then change to synthetic if you want to and extend OCI to 7-8k miles.

Thanks for the replies folks! Definitely taken into account. Would I be better off running a "heavy duty" oil like Delo or Delvac, or just anything?

15w-40 Shell Rotella, changed every 3k. Runs great in my 91 3FE Cruiser. Make sure you get your oil filters from Toyota (15600-41010). Everything else aftermarket is much smaller than the original filter that came on it. Also, don't let the dealership tell you the YZZD3 filter is the replacement for it. If you saw them side by side, you'd see the difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back