Gunk Motor Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you consider a #2 Diesel fuel to be a harsh solvent ? I don't. :)It would thin the oil out though

Hmmm How much is a gallon of # 2 diesel fuel going for these days ?

http://www.gunk.com/msds/MF3.PDF

While at the site,look at all the fuel additives/injector cleaners and see the cas # 68476-34-6 that company likes to use in them
smile.gif

I used to have a friend who was mechanic and in the early days of Castro GTX when every other engine was gunked up with serious sludge. He filled a Chevy samll block for instance with 10 qts. of a mixture of 25% ATF and 75% diesel, fire thecar uo and let is carefully idle for a while....you would not believe how this cleaned out those engines...made sound like a washer when the crnak was pounding the mixture around in the engine...........he also used to pour brake fluid down the carburetor to clean valves and cumbustion chambers on Chevy and ford V8 engines that would knock from carbon deposits....

In my early years late 9th grade through senior year I worked at a Air Cooled VW Shop part time and the cleanest motors I ever tore down were those that the fuel pump diaphram had leaked gas into the crankcase,imagine that! The ones that were not knocking came back later after the pump was replaced,,knocking from rod bearing failure.Some were caught making oi early enough they were saved.

Cars there for maintanence had much wax in the strainer screen " actually the sump plate" I observed when changing oil and running the valves.What oils were most prone for this? No telling because of out town being a college town and many were seviced after trips home on holidays ect. Our repeat customers as I recall brought their own oil,Castrol 30wt.We carried whatever was on sale from the wholesaler at the given time purchased but remember for the most part Sinclair and Wolfs Head.
Lastly,when a car come in on it's last leg needing a O/H we ran gasoline in the crankcase before tear down,it made clean up on reassembly much easier.
The EPA did those cars in along wih the Triumph Spitfire and probably more.

Some motors have inherit deign problems with the combustion chambers making for carbon build up at early miles,,the AMC 258 ci inline 6 comes to mind.
As early as 2k miles I have seen this in 1981 Concords that we fixed by pouring water in the carb throat while engine was hot and running. Amc offered a chemical to soak these CC'c but it was for the most part not affective

[ December 12, 2002, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I used 2 cans of KW Fast Motor Flush from Autozone to flush out the badly sludged 318 in my Jeep. The directions called for 2 flushes in a row (1st time with old oil, 2nd time with new oil, then after 2nd put in brand new oil) for older never flushed engines. It costs 2.50 a can. Definitely fixed the problem of losing oil pressure on longer drives or 1 or 2 WOT runs. It says on the can thats its perfectly harmless to bearings and other moving parts. I'm assuming this is very similar to the Gunk. Whatever makes up Gunk I doubt its harmful to the engine. Flushes are tried and true ways of getting gunk out, but auto-rx seems to be more effective now.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back