Using a moly additive:revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I wanted to bring this topic back up again as I have a few questions about it.

Someone on one of the LS1 message boards is going to be adding a moly additive to his
Mobil 1, and I mentioned to him that it could upset the balance of the oil and cause it's TBN
to drop faster, and the oil to oxidize quicker. But he countered with a good point. He said that
with the oils out there that contain moly in them, this is basically all they do, they just add
moly to an existing non moly oil. This guy is a chemist, and he's also planning on doing oil
analysis through Terry too, so he's not just jumping into this experiment blindly.

So in a worst case scenario, what bad things would happen if someone added a moly additive
to a non (or low) moly oil?

Too much ZDDP in an oil might affect the moly to some extent, but with the levels of
zinc these days, I don't think you have any worry.

Moly is not only an AW additive, but is also an anti-corrosion component and an anti-oxidant.

Moly in the MoDTC form is very safe.

"So in a worst case scenario, what bad things would happen if someone added a moly additive
to a non (or low) moly oil?"

Well, my Red Line analysis showed both a fair amount of zinc, phosphorous AND moly in the oil so i don't think it could be a terribly BAD thing.

But, theoretically, could moly compete with zinc compounds like ZDDP for space on metal parts?
confused.gif
In other words, the additives keep trying to bump each other off metal surfaces?

--- Bror Jace

First let me clarify. The better zinc compound being used with full synths is the ZDTP (zinc bis[O,O-diisopropyldithiophosphate] and has better staying power.

Secondly, the Zinc and moly compounds operate in different temperature regions, with the zinc operating at the lower temps and lower load conditions and moly taking over in the higher temp, higher load situation.

So with the better zinc compounds, there should be no antagonistic effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back