What Coolant in a 94 Nissan Sentra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picking up this car with 120,000 miles on it. Have no idea what has been done to it. What antifreeze should I use (what came in it from the factory?)

I'm getting it from a little old lady in my church...really.......

I also have a question about 5 speed tranny in another forum.

I used to own a 1996 sentra, which uses the same engine which I had flushed the tranny, coolant and power steering fluids. It was the best used car I've owned with double miles than yours.

You are just fine using the cheap Valucraft "green antifreeze" jug from your local Autozone or equivalent from Discount Auto Parts.

No use buying Prestone universal coolant.

Good luck with the car. They are super reliable so as long as maintenance is kept up.

I had mine for over 2.5 years with 220k miles initially and up to 260k miles before trading it for my current car. It had the original engine and automatic transmission. AC compressor was replaced by previous owner.

Only thing I recommend you do is replace the valve cover (entire thing) since the rubber grommets around the spark plugs harden and allow for oil to get in the spark plug hole and some valve covers do not have these rubber grommets interchangeable, like mine did. Another tip, if and when you do replace the valve cover, look inside the timing chain compartment and look at the upper timing chain tensioner. If you see metal UNDER the chain, replace that tensioner ASAP because if you don't the metal shavings can wear out the chain and clog the oil pump and kill the engine. Replace the tensioner even if you see some wear in the hard rubber pad on it (people have good luck with Beck Arnley branded tensioner as it's made in Japan). Third tip: Replace the crankshaft pulley and seal as the seal within the pulley tends to wear out and leak oil - so does the seal behind the ignition coil (mine leaked from it, but very little), replace that too. Fourth tip: replace distributor cap and ignition rotor and wires (which I'm sure you know already to do).

Also, the odometer and speedometer tends to cut out in these cars and it's either a problem with the vehicle speed sensor or faulty electrical connection in the dashboard, behind the odo and speedo.

nissanforums.com was and should still be very helpful with further maintenance tips and how-tos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: accent2012
,,,Third tip: Replace the crankshaft pulley and seal as the seal within the pulley tends to wear out and leak oil - so does the seal behind the ignition coil (mine leaked from it, but very little), replace that too....

Accent2012,
It's really pouring oil from the left side of the engine if facing it. I stopped in my driveway after an hour drive and it dripped like crazy onto alternator and belts and on my driveway. Is this the crankshaft pulley seal leak? I'm guessing this a professional mechanics job.

Thanks for the tips. I just did oil and MT fluid change tonight. Plugs, distributor, wires were done 2000 miles ago. Gonna do brake fluid tomorrow.

Good old green will do you fine. Don't use the "all makes" type. Go to Napa and get their green or try to find zerex green. I mentioned this in another posting but use Cascade powder mixed with hot distilled water to flush out the system. Works well at dislodging crud and scale from the system. Just make sure to really flush out the cascade. It will give your system a clean slate for the new coolant to work it's best.

Now is also a good time to replace the thermostat and any hoses that might look brittle. Dont want your new coolant spilling on the highway because of an old hose breaking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back