5w20 vs 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry i'm not as smart as you bepperb. On a good note, dave and a couple others have been very helpfull in my dumbness!

Your welcome but there are some very knowledgeable members on here I suggest you pick their brains also. The best thing you can do is read and become more educated on the matter and if you have any doubt feel free to ask. I would not say you are dumb you were just very vague on your question and it seemed that you were a little rude. That is the problem of being on a message board it is hard to tell what your motive is.

Originally Posted By: ChadW
Sorry i'm not as smart as you bepperb.

You don't have to be smart, you just have to read this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

You might think you'll get answers more quickly by asking the forum questions, but I've never seen anyone respond to a question with a multiple-chapter post filled with tables and charts.

Last edited:
Agreed dave, that's the point of most forums, to ask q's and become more knowledgable. Not define basic words in relation to questions on specific topics.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Sorry i'm not as smart as you bepperb.

You don't have to be smart, you just have to read this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

You might think you'll get answers more quickly by asking the forum questions, but I've never seen anyone respond to a question with a multiple-chapter post filled with tables and charts.

You know that this is my fault but I have never read or referenced Motor oil 101. I just found it to be too dull but since the good doctor wrote it I bet my bottom dollar it is full of useful information.

These posts about shear got me wondering just how API arrived at the point spread in each grade...

20W - 5.6 to 9.2 cSt = 3.6 spread

30W - 9.3 to 12.4 cSt = 3.1 spread

40W - 12.5 to 16.2 cSt = 3.7 spread

I could see a scaled progression as weight increased but looks more like they tossed darts at the wall... Musta been a [censored] of a party...

Internet forums are for discussion. The discussions been had a thousand times before. If you wanna learn, search for it.

You're being a troll by harassing people who aren't giving you the answers you think you deserve.

So does a 5w20 shear down?

Typically I say no. As I looked over many used oil analysis on this site. But if you get get a hefty dose of fuel dilution anything is possible.

Last edited:
For what this is worth after 3 or so years I find it is very rare if you can reach a conclusion on websites like this. Your question would be answered if you could. But as many times I have seen, when we get close to a answer another slant gets in. Either way:
welcome2.gif

Sorry i'm not as smart as you bepperb. On a good note, dave and a couple others have been very helpfull in my dumbness!

Originally Posted By: TFB1
These posts about shear got me wondering just how API arrived at the point spread in each grade...

20W - 5.6 to 9.2 cSt = 3.6 spread

30W - 9.3 to 12.4 cSt = 3.1 spread

40W - 12.5 to 16.2 cSt = 3.7 spread

I could see a scaled progression as weight increased but looks more like they tossed darts at the wall... Musta been a [censored] of a party...

SAE J300 for multigrades only goes down to 20 Weight. That is the reason for the wide range in 20 weight. In practice it would take some pretty expensive base stock to meet the 2.6 HT/HS requirement at the lower ends of the range.

I suspect the 20 Weight Category will lose the lower part of its viscosity range when the new 2.3 HT/HS oils are introduced.

Does 5w20 protect as well as 5w30?

Their is no blanket answer to this question. It would depend on oil temp, the specific application and the HT/HS of the individual lubricant

1. Chevy LS1 5.7L V8 OHV - 4000-6000 rpm at 280F Peak Oil Sump temp (Open Track Event)
I would prefer a 2.9 HT/HS 5W30 over a 2.6 HT/HS 5W20.

2. Ford 4.6L OHC 2V PI - 600-2400 rpm at 210F Peak Oil Sump Temp (Daily Commuter)
I would prefer a 2.6 HT/HS 5W20 over a 2.9 HT/HS 5W30.

Is say a 5W20 protects very well for the vehicle it is spec for. I say 5W30 protects as well for the vehicles it is spec for. Use what you owners manual say's for you vehicle and you won't go wrong.

Originally Posted By: Topo
Is say a 5W20 protects very well for the vehicle it is spec for. I say 5W30 protects as well for the vehicles it is spec for. Use what you owners manual say's for you vehicle and you won't go wrong.

Thats what I posted earlier. With that said,our Crown Vic 4.6 which currently has 243,519 miles and has always had 5w30,just like the owners manual called for,and with that many miles,with no oil related issues,how can a person argue with what oil weight is called for in a owners manual? It's simple,no need to re-invent the wheel or over think somethin so simple.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Thats what I posted earlier. With that said,our Crown Vic 4.6 which currently has 243,519 miles and has always had 5w30,just like the owners manual called for,and with that many miles,with no oil related issues,how can a person argue with what oil weight is called for in a owners manual? It's simple,no need to re-invent the wheel or over think somethin so simple.

Thats encouraging that you have that many miles on your Crown Vic as i have 100k less on my GMQ. I did choose to go the TSB route and feed my 4.6 5w-20 flavor though. I don't think the 5w-20 will be any less effective in the end. Just good to know i have some miles left, hopefully.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4ever4d

Thats encouraging that you have that many miles on your Crown Vic as i have 100k less on my GMQ. I did choose to go the TSB route and feed my 4.6 5w-20 flavor though. I don't think the 5w-20 will be any less effective in the end. Just good to know i have some miles left, hopefully.

Funny 5w20 was the "backspec'd" oil for our Crown Vic,I'm 100% sure it would've gone just as many miles,easily.These motors are built to last,so with you using 5w20,sleep well at night because you got yourself a good motor
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d

Funny 5w20 was the "backspec'd" oil for our Crown Vic,I'm 100% sure it would've gone just as many miles,easily.These motors are built to last,so with you using 5w20,sleep well at night because you got yourself a good motor
thumbsup2.gif

Totally agree. The Ford modular is probably the best engine for passenger cars they ever made. I was a big fan of the 300 I-6 also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back