Excellent way to flush out more old oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
quote:

Originally posted by cobravenom71:
Yeah, what I do is drain the oil, but leave the filter in place. When the oil is finished draining, if convenient I show the customer that nothing else is coming out, so that would normally be all that would come out on an oil change. I then have a tech hold a clean, transparent container next to the drain hole.
I then make sure that the oil dip-stick is fully seated, and block the end of the inlet for the air-cleaner and breather hoses with shop towels. This prevents any potential 'air escape paths'. Now, use a shop towel around a blow-gun, or a 1"thick, 3.5" diameter rubber disc with a 1/4" hole in the center to seat the rubber blow-gun nozzle(which I fabricated for just this purpose).Put the towel or disc on the oil fill hole(valve cover or seperate fill pipe)and put the tip of the blow-gun in and let her rip!
You will be amazed at the crappy, cruddy 'stuff' that comes out. And a lot of it too! In my experience ( I've done this literally thousands of times on customer's cars), you will always get at least a 1/2 quart of sludge out, sometimes even a quart!
After about 1 to 2 minutes of this, I will usually put the oil cap on, and blow some more air through the dip-stick tube. This also gets a little more out. The dip-stick part is especially effective on older Ford vans, the ones where the dip-sticks and the inside of the tube get filled with rust and crud from condensation. This is a really effective and easy way to get rid of most of it.
When I first started doing this about 15 years ago, lots of people thought I was nuts."Your gonna' blow all the seals and gaskets!" they said. I figured if an oil pump operates around 50-70 psi at cruise, How could I possibly build more pressure than that in an engine with a big open hole in the bottom of it?
Anyway, I have never had one, single problem from doing this. In fact, great word of mouth from happy customers has sent me a lot of extra business over the years.
Incedentally, one of the better success' with this technique is with Mitsubishis. At around 20-30,000 miles, some Mitsu 4-cylinders will sometimes develop a 'tick' at idle, and will never go away.
This 'air-flush' has silenced that 'tick' on dozens of cars sent to my stores.
Instead of using a flush machine, we just use a pour-in cleaner with the air-flush and charge aywhere from $20 to $40 for the service.
The flush machine service usually retails for $89 to over $150 depending on where you get it done.
Same results. A lot less expense for the customer. No equipment to buy.Happy customers.
Win, win, win!
Even so, I would be very interested in hearing others opinion of this.

Hey, you'll blow out the seals..or rings... or colapse the lifters....oopps, you already covered all that.
lol.gif
Interesting...
gr_eek2.gif

I actually have been doing that for several years but I don't leave the filter(s) on. Especially helpful to get the old oil out of the oil cooler and oil cooler lines/remote filter lines....yes it is quite amazing how much oil is still in there, even after allowing a "4 hour drip"...! (not to be confused with a 60 second dip, such as myself!
grin.gif
)

Yeah, I failed to mention it, but 'Pablo' is correct. Any time you can blow-out the excess old oil remaining in any coolers and cooler lines, your'e way ahead of the game.
smile.gif

Be sure that air source is dry! (I'm sure cobra has a filter/dryer at the shop.) Around here, without the separator installed, my compressor could double as a pressure washer.
smile.gif

David

OH YEAH BABY!! Mr. OneQuartLow is absolutely, positively correct!! Definately make sure you use 'dry' air if your'e gonna' do this! Pumpin' a whole bunch of water into your engine certainly won't help matters! Nice save.
smile.gif

i do that with my air compressor, but i always wonderd why i wouldnt get much out. now i know!! hahah the pvc valves and dipstick DUH...haha

well what i do now is that i let the oil completly drain, blow it out, then add like a couple of quarts of oil, then let it run, drain it and put the new oil in. its a little waste of money but heheh i got a whole case of very old castrol gtx in the back...it was free too.

if im in a hurry though i just drain it, close the drain plug, put in about 1 quart, let it sit, drain again till its clear adn then add the new fluid with the new oil filter. just my 2 cents.

1 QT - good point! I have the double drier that I use for special occaisons.
offtopic.gif
Not only do I live in the PNW as you do, my garage is like 30 feet from Fishtrap Creek up here in Lynden. It was so dewy foggy wet this AM the whole well covered porch was soaked - you oughta see the water that comes out when I drain the compressor after I fire it up in the winter. Summer isn't so bad here moisture/temp wise....

OK, about that 'running a quart or two of oil before you plug up'thing. A lot of my guys used to do that, but we found out that it does very, very little, if anything at all. When you pour the oil in, it will obviously take the shortest, quickest way down to the oil pan. And usually in a straight line about 2 inches wide max. It really doesn't get hardly any out. The air, on the other hand will somewhat presurize the whole crankcase and force a higher amount of old crud out. At least I think thats whats happening. Anyway, in my experience, the air is a whole lot more effective than wasting the oil.

hehe well now that i think about it ur right...well how much psi should go there? my air tube isnt too big and has a capacity to hold 125lb psi....

Man, that seems like an awfully difficult way to get the crud out! I get dizzy just blowin' up the pool toys!(That little electric air pump in the pool shed was a great investment! $30!).

Anyone familiar with KW engine flush sold at Autozone for $2.50 and comes in a paint can? I used it with good success on my Jeep when it had bad sludge problems with good success. Just wondering how it compares to the rest of the engine flushes out there.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back