2010 FX4 | 9.75ELD | MC 75W-140 | 56300 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Here is the UOA from the OC when I installed the Mag-Hytec cover along with the results from the original OC for comparison purposes. I replaced this with Amsoil 75W-140 Severe Gear oil.

I did not catch as clean of a sample as I would have liked and this may (or may not) have contributed to the silicon levels. Blackstone missed the check box that stated I changed the fluid so I am assuming that is the reason for the last sentence in the comments.

Blackstone comments:

Your FX4's rear differential looks better at 69,600 miles. Nickel is the only metal reading out of line, and that's either from a trace element in the steel (iron) or a plating. Either way, we aren't too concerned about it. The excess metal in the previous sample was likely normal wear-in of new parts. The viscosity read in the middle of the 75W/140-grade range and no moisture was found. The 0.3% insolubles are normal. The TAN of 6.5 shows some acidity. Check back the next time you change the rear differential fluid for more information.

Thoughts and comments always welcome...

Code:

Year: 2010 Make: Ford Model: F-150 FX4

Engine: 5.4L FFV Transmission: 6R80 Axle: 9.75 Ford ELD (3.73)

Oil Brand/Type: MC (Syn) MC (Syn)

Oil Viscosity: 75W-140 75W-140

API Service: GL-5 GL-5

Lab: BLKST BLKST

Date: 05/01/2012 02/03/2011

Truck Mileage: 69,600 13,300

Oil Mileage: 56,300 13,300

Aluminum: 1 1

Chromium 1 1

Iron: 148 429

Copper: 1 3

Lead: 0 0

Tin: 2 0

Molybdenum: 1 12

Nickel: 15 20

Manganese: 4 19

Silver: 0 0

Titanium: 14 679

Potassium: 2 7

Boron: 142 156

Silicon: 113 26

Sodium: 5 16

Calcium: 7 28

Magnesium: 0 5

Phosphorus: 2331 1463

Zinc: 8 7

Barium: 1 5

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 22.87 23.73

Ford cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 25.6 25.6

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 110.8 114.6

Flashpoint in °F 365 385

Ford Flashpoint in °F 374 374

Fuel % -- --

Antifreeze % -- --

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3 0.4

TBN N/A N/A

TAN 6.5 2.4

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Where does the high Ti number come from in the previous sample? I doubt it was an additive in the fluid itself.

Just curious.

I think was an additive and to be honest, I do not think the "factory" 75W-140 is the same as the over the counter oil. The color was completely different (factory was REALLY grey in color whereas the over the counter is the normal oil color). The FM is a clear blue so I do not think it contributed to the grey color of the oil.

Here are Blackstone's comments from the initial UOA:

This first sample from the rear diff looks pretty good. Iron was a little higher than normal, but it's likely just from wear-in of new parts. Nickel is a trace element that we've seen before, so we're not too worried about it. Titanium is likely additive in the oil. This oil was milky as well, but no moisture was present. The gray color is likely from the friction modifier. We do a TAN on this type of fluid and that was 2.4 showing some acidity. Insolubles are fine at 0.4%. Check back in another 20,000 miles.

The MC 75W-140 seems to be protecting the diff very well. 50K OCI is probably a good change point with this fluid based on what is probably an increasing TAN. Oxidation would have been nice to have. Thanks for posting this!

Last edited:
Started off as a very light 140 grade and sheared into a 110. Not that I'm worried. Nice drop of iron compared to the break-in and pretty low compared to many 60K runs I've seen. TAN seems a little high BUT if you don't know where it started, you don't know HOW high. If it started at 1.2 then it's high. If it started higher, not so much. Still, seems like it was a good time to change. The Amsoil and the greater oil capacity with the M-H will allow a longer interval next time but you can easily sample without draining so you could actually spot check along the way.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Started off as a very light 140 grade and sheared into a 110. Not that I'm worried. Nice drop of iron compared to the break-in and pretty low compared to many 60K runs I've seen. TAN seems a little high BUT if you don't know where it started, you don't know HOW high. If it started at 1.2 then it's high. If it started higher, not so much. Still, seems like it was a good time to change. The Amsoil and the greater oil capacity with the M-H will allow a longer interval next time but you can easily sample without draining so you could actually spot check along the way.

Thanks Jim. I am not sure how linear or exponential the TAN increase is, but with the same oil at 13,300 the TAN was 2.4, so I will speculate the TAN in virgin oil is >1.5.

I will be checking the Amsoil along the way to see how it is working versus the Ford oil. Really liking that new cover...

^Pics?

Good COA, either way.
thumbsup2.gif

First UOA was very typical of factory fills; full of break-in stuff.

Second UOA probably has a small amount of residual from the first.

Overall, very nice trending downwards, and probably operating just as designed and will live a long life, especially with the new cover helping with cooling and volume.

^Agreed. That's an awesome upgrade! Pics were cool, too. I'm very new to differentials, OTOH, but it looks like a barely worn unit for the miles you already have on it to the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back