Fisker just can't catch a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Fisker (electric sports cars) has a great PR company. They cannot catch a break. A recent house fire pointing the car catching fire.

No one hurt but a serious automotive loss(to me) in the process, Acura NSX in the garage.

Intersting note in bottom of article, Fisker engineers trying to point blame at owners. I guess your career is on the line in multiple ways.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120508...gn=awdailydrive

Not many people are going to have sympathy for Fisker. He has taken $500-million in taxpayer money, and used it to develop a car that only the rich can afford, and he's building it in Europe, so its impact on employment in America is zilch.

Bad Karma is all I can say.

Hahahaha ^^^^ Love that last line.

But I quit laughing when I think of all the money he got. Can't blame the guy, but we sure are getting BAD ROI.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
It is the opinion of many electricians that many fires are blamed on electrical causes without sufficient evidence.

Probably true, but considering the Fisker is the most burned thing in the pics, I'd say there's a high probability the fire started there.

It's pretty distasteful of Fisker to suggest fraud with this one. If I wanted to burn my two week old car for some reason, I probably wouldn't do it in my house with my family there next to my other cars.

+1 But the real question is will they take the name from the Pinto and call them Fisker Habache?
crackmeup2.gif

The fire could've started due to a cigarette. Driver tosses it out the front window, it gets sucked back in the rear window, lands on the rear seat, smoulders till it catches the car on fire. Do you think the driver would admit that as a possibility?

It is the opinion of many electricians that many fires are blamed on electrical causes without sufficient evidence.

The evidence for fire elementals that materialise in your garage and set fire to stuff is even more sketchy.

What a circus. Let me get this straight:

Fire department official says to the media that it was the car's fault prior to the completion of formal investigation.

Fisker says that insurance adjusters are involved and fraud hasn't been ruled out, going so far as to say that the battery pack remained intact and did not contribute to the fire. That doesn't preclude anything else in the car from causing the first; it just wasn't the battery.

The owner of the car immediately lawyers up and releases a statement, accepting the conclusion of the town's fire investigation and painting Fisker as the bad guy.

I'd be willing to bet that court filings are already underway on behalf of the owner.

Face it guys....electric cars are fire traps....I realize lots of tree huggers like them but Toyota is really the only car manufacturer that has put significant development into hybrids.

The rush to market with this technology is dangerous.

Battery pack doesn't have to be damaged to say that it's the car's fault.

They've got to wires away from the battery pack that can short and create a fire without the battery pack being involved...it's a simple fact of using electricity...many people heat their houses with glowing red filaments

The fire could've started due to a cigarette. ....

Few problems with your scenario. How many folks do you know who actually throw cigarettes in their own driveway where they own a decent house and expensive car to boot.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The fire could've started due to a cigarette. ....

Few problems with your scenario. How many folks do you know who actually throw cigarettes in their own driveway where they own a decent house and expensive car to boot.

Plus the new interior materials are chosen with flamability in mind. I doubt that a simple cigarette butt would start a fire inside the car.

Whatever started it, the ridiculous rush to get a product that only appeals to a VERY SMALL segment of the buying public is just wacky.

No one has sweated the details much on these cars, new tech always has a learning curve.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

They don't, they throw them out the window on the highway. Problem is that if the rear window is open, it can end up right back in the car, and smoulder. It's not uncommon for this to happen, I know of a case where it did, fortunately the cigarette was discovered before it had done much beyond burning a small hole in the back seat.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

They've got to wires away from the battery pack that can short and create a fire without the battery pack being involved...it's a simple fact of using electricity...many people heat their houses with glowing red filaments

If the short pulled enough current, it would damage the battery pack. Especially if it's a lithium-ion pack--they really HATE to be shorted out.

IF it was big enough...the battery can supply whole numbers of KW without damage...it's made for it...throw a 1KW bar heater under a seat or somesuch, and see what happens.

Far more plausible than surmising that:
a) they are smokers;
b) they flicked it out the window;
c) it came back in the back window;
d) it then burned long enough to survive the trip home, and set fire to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back