When to replace a clay bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done 4 complete cars with my clay. When do I need to replace it? It is still large and had not worn away, but in my opinion I think it is scratching the cars more now, or maybe I forgot from last year how they looked after using.

Clay bars should only be used once.

I typically tear a bar in half and that way I can do two cars.

Until you feel its just too full of contaminants.

I typically do 3-4 cars and then just use the old dirty clay to so the lower portions of the car, inside the door jams, under the trunk, etc, etc AND THEN finally just trash it after its REALLY dirty.

You use a clay bar to remove surface contaminants before polishing so if it scratches the paint a little, its gonna get polished anyway, so it doesn't really matter, IMO.

I cut the bar into 3rds in case a piece of it drops on the ground. Plus you can compare the old clay to the color of the old clay side by side. When you see the difference side by side its an easier decision. Then use the old stuff on the wheels. Pick out contaminates as you go from the clay. Microwave clay for 20 seconds to make more pliable. Much easier to work with.

Looks like I need to throw away my clay then...
wink.gif

you reuse the clay by kneading it until a clean surface appears. Throwing it away after one use is ridiculous and expensive. That would have cost me $100+ a week for clay alone. 3-4 cars is likely the limit, or it was mine when I detailed for a living. That same clay will now do windows and outer glass just fine. Unless it it completely contaminated or you dropped it on the ground it still has use left just not on paint.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
you reuse the clay by kneading it until a clean surface appears. Throwing it away after one use is ridiculous and expensive. That would have cost me $100+ a week for clay alone. 3-4 cars is likely the limit, or it was mine when I detailed for a living. That same clay will now do windows and outer glass just fine. Unless it it completely contaminated or you dropped it on the ground it still has use left just not on paint.

+2

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

+3 definitely reuse it. Just knead it after each panel/section. A 100 gram clay bar should do multiple cars, depending on their contamination but I have used the same bar on my vehicles 6 times already. Of course, I wash very frequently and so very litte contamination was lifted off my vehicles.

....if you drop it, or use it ~ 4x. I dropped both mine this spring (on cement). They were both demoted to wheels or windshields.

Don't knead it, carefully fold it over so the contaminants are kept inside, it'll last longer and keep contaminants better contained so you can use the clay longer. Out of one clay bar I easily did 20 lightly contaminated cars or 3 heavily contaminated bars, you know it's contaminated when you swipe one time across the hood and the clay is blackish-red from rust and contaminants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back