Just ordered ultra-gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 model year is most likely using older protocol.

I find MAF, G/S, and timing advance to be the most important parameters to watch on the primary screen. And, yes, it is pain to program. You really need to read and understand the written manual thoroughly before trying to tailor UG to your needs. I have never found UG to be much useful for mileage tracking. I believe that ability is vastly improved in the new version but I do not have it. I suspect SG handles mileage tracking lot better as it was designed specifically that in mind. I use UG as full time real time scanner.

F = (9/5)c + 32

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
2002 model year is most likely using older protocol.

I find MAF, G/S, and timing advance to be the most important parameters to watch on the primary screen. And, yes, it is pain to program. You really need to read and understand the written manual thoroughly before trying to tailor UG to your needs. I have never found UG to be much useful for mileage tracking. I believe that ability is vastly improved in the new version but I do not have it. I suspect SG handles mileage tracking lot better as it was designed specifically that in mind. I use UG as full time real time scanner.

F = (9/5)c + 32

Interesting that you had poor luck with UG and mileage. I've got mine set up and it's within 0.1-0.3 gallons in most cases over the course of a 7-8 gallon fill-up.

Still good but since I swapped the car with my son in January, I need to reinstall it on the other car. Since the UG is not longer connected, it is good time to ship it for the new firmware which has more goodies.

- Vikas

You sent the UG to factory for upgrading firmware ? Do they charge any for new firmware ?

I hated the UG gas fill user interface. There was no easy way for me to iteratively correct the fuel usage. For example, I expected UG to guess how much I filled in and then allow me to adjust it via up/down keys and after few tankfuls, it would become exact.

But the actual procedure is utterly counter-intuitive and I ended up just not bothering anymore.

They charge for new firmware and shipping back to you plus I have to pay shipping to get the product to them. I will be taking the plunge.

- Vikas

But the actual procedure is utterly counter-intuitive and I ended up just not bothering anymore.

I found the best way was to do just what you describe. For example.

Tank 1 actual = 5.4 gallons, UG reports 6.1 gallons, I enter in 5.4 in calibration screen.

Tank 2 actual = 7.3 gallons, UG reports 7.1 gallons, I enter in 7.2 in calibration screen.

Tank 3 actual = 3.1 gallons, UG reports 3.12 gallons, I enter in 3.11 in calibration screen.

After several tanks of hitting the halfway point, it's as accurate as the variation in pump shut-off points.

is this too old to revive?
i plan on getting an UltraGauge EM in the next couple of weeks. price now is 60.00 with rebate. is rebate still a pain to fill out? any major cons? i have a 5 speed vw so trans temp is not a concern.

As far as I know the rebate is designed to be a pain to fill out. But it is NOT that he wants to stiff you but to get all of the engine parameters to his website so that he can build the database of all the models on which UltraGauge is running.

As there is no electronic path from UltraGauge to their website, you the buyer have to do the hard and dirty job of hand carrying the information bits of 1s and 0s to their website :-( If only he had allowed microusb connector, he would have avoided this headache to his consumers and he could have had an easy upgrade path and could have come up with even more tricks later. But alas, he chose not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back