Toyota 2GR-FE why not all 0W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Toyota Ow20 the lightest 0W20 easily available and is the lightest at start up which is more than a little beneficial at start-up and most operating conditions. Sure, it helps with EPA but that is not the sole reason for it's use. The Toyota 0W20 is an excellent oil.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
The Avalon is not powered by the 4 cylinder 2GR-FE It is powered by the V6.

LOL, what? Are we even talking about the same thing?

Originally Posted By: yonyon
In different vehicles air flows differently, cooling systems are different, weight is different, gear ratios and transmission shift strategy can be different, and the expected use of that model may also be different. It's also possible there may be a different "target market" for one model than for another and it is expected that one may more easily tolerate a different per event maintenance cost.

*THIS* Example: toyota states that, 0w20/5w20 is acceptable for the 2GR-FE Rav4 w/o the tow package.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
The Avalon is not powered by the 4 cylinder 2GR-FE It is powered by the V6.

4 th totally loopy post on BITOG tonight (different posters). Must be a blood moon or something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Maybe because the Toyota RAV4 V6 has an almost 5000 lb GVWR and over 7000 lb GCWR with a 3500 lb tow rating.

No, highlander is heavier and certified to tow more. It boils down to presence or absence of oil cooler that i posted about before.

Originally Posted By: Knox

*THIS* Example: toyota states that, 0w20/5w20 is acceptable for the 2GR-FE Rav4 w/o the tow package.

Where exactly toyota states that? I would like to see it.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Where exactly toyota states that? I would like to see it.

I'll have to get the chart from work and either take a pic or scan it. Also, rcy, posted some of the official toyota/lexus oil charts, that back this up.

frown.gif
I was wrong.

Turns out it was the 2010 highlander and not the rav4. It still servers to prove, the point, that toyota does specify oil based on operating conditions.

Toyota 2010-2012 oil recomendations PDF

Also hear is an owners manual exept.

"An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

2012 rav4 Owners manuals (specifications and capacity)

It basically boils down to size, load and expected usage.

interesting document, and so is this comment: "Flex fuel vehicles that have been operated with E85 must have engine oil changed every 2,500 miles"

It basically boils down to size, load and expected usage.

Yes, it boils down to expected oil temp like I said.

This is an interesting document. I haven't seen this before. Thanks for linking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back