Bosh New Bern NC manufacturing facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
This is a pretty neat video about Bosch's New Bern, North Carolina manufacturing facility.

German engineered, US made
thumbsup2.gif

Good to know.

Whirlpool/Maytag just laid off 3,000 workers to move their manufacturing plant overseas.

That is why I just dropped a little over a grand on a new GE oven!

Looks like I need to do some research to see what Bosh is building here and see if I need one.
I plan on buying a 2nd fridge for the garage pretty soon!

The Bosch side by side that I bought for our lake house is a POS.

The high ish end washer / dryer combo I bought for the same house impresses me less each time I use them.

I bought them because I was specifically looking for U.S. manufactured appliances and was willing to pay more for it.

After my expericence with the Bosch, I probably won't feel that way the next time I applicance shop.

Originally Posted By: Win

The high ish end washer / dryer combo I bought for the same house impresses me less each time I use them.

I bought them because I was specifically looking for U.S. manufactured appliances and was willing to pay more for it.

After my expericence with the Bosch, I probably won't feel that way the next time I applicance shop.

Interesting, we bought a Bosch Vision 300 washer back in December and we couldn't be more happy with it. I also have a number of their power tools and they are excellent.

My reasoning was the same as yours: I wanted something US-made and most of the US brands have sold out and make all their stuff in China now.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Good to know.

Whirlpool/Maytag just laid off 3,000 workers to move their manufacturing plant overseas.

Looks like I need to do some research to see what Bosh is building here and see if I need one.
That is too bad about the layoffs. We had a Maytag washer for awhile. It was a piece of junk. Both of those makes built fine products once upon a time.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Good to know.

That is too bad about the layoffs. We had a Maytag washer for awhile. It was a piece of junk. Both of those makes built fine products once upon a time.

They sure did. My mom's Maytag washer is 38 years old this year and works perfectly. I bought a Maytag set for our new house and the washer broke just out of warranty. Ill not be buying any more Maytag anyways so the fact that they are now built overseas is just the cherry on top...

Kind of the same deal I had with my Maytag washer. I needed a new one and the Maytag dealer had a sale on. Thought that even though it was higher it was a Maytag and they offered an extended warranty for free. About a week after the factory warranty went out the machine started leaking. Found out that the dealer had sold out and my extended warranty was dealer only. Maytag said sorry about that. Finally got them to agree with paying for the parts if I paid for the labor. They came out and fixed it and I never recieved a bill so I ended up coming out good. Been about 4 years now and it is starting to sound like a garbage disposal. If it is made by Maytag/Whirlpool I ain't buying it.

Nice to see big-ticket stuff still made in the US. Too bad most appliances made these days are utter garbage. Our $$$$ Electrolux washer failed after 1.5 years. It had a 2 year parts warranty. Electrolux told me to pound sand. No more Electrolux/Frigidaire for me! They don't stand behind their products, just take your money and laugh all the way to the bank.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Win

Interesting, we bought a Bosch Vision 300 washer back in December and we couldn't be more happy with it. I also have a number of their power tools and they are excellent.

My reasoning was the same as yours: I wanted something US-made and most of the US brands have sold out and make all their stuff in China now.

Yeah, I went out of my way to equip the entire house with U.S./Canada manufactured products and except for some of the electronics, was able to do so.

I expected more of the Bosch because of the European / German lineage and price tag (about $1K/each), so maybe I'm unduly hard on them. There's no way to sugar coat the side by side though, it's a true POS.

Good north american made furniture was harder to get than I expected - a lot of it is from Viet Nam and other third world places.

No, the refrigerator / freezer is a side by side.

The washer and dryer are front loaders, but are full size, and stand on an overpriced pedestal / cabinet. I think part of my dissatisfaction with them is the front load design. These are our first front loaders, and I now think top loaders are a better machine.

But props to Bosch for making stuff here. Whirlpool seems to be moving to Mexico as fast as it can.

What model washer dryer do you have? The Vision 300 like I got or a different one? I know they had a few for a while, though they've moved away from making the full-sized ones and are just making the smaller "euro" sized ones now
frown.gif

I had a top loader before this, and while the top loader is easier to load, the Bosch uses a fraction of the water and hydro, is about a million times quieter, doesn't tear the clothing to shreds (I have a lint trap in the drain) like the Maytag did, and on top of that, the cloths come out cleaner. I'm very happy with it
smile.gif

I was thinking about getting one of their fridges/freezers, what do you dislike about yours?

You get what you pay for....usually.

Having worked for a major appliance retailer years ago, I can assure you that the low-end stuff was often very reliable because there wasn't much to break. The high-end stuff was also very reliable; it was the middle-of-the-road stuff that we really stressed warranties on. The moderately-priced items often employed lots of cost-cutting measures to try and be competitive and appear as a good value.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What model washer dryer do you have? The Vision 300 like I got or a different one? I know they had a few for a while, though they've moved away from making the full-sized ones and are just making the smaller "euro" sized ones now
frown.gif

I had a top loader before this, and while the top loader is easier to load, the Bosch uses a fraction of the water and hydro, is about a million times quieter, doesn't tear the clothing to shreds (I have a lint trap in the drain) like the Maytag did, and on top of that, the cloths come out cleaner. I'm very happy with it
smile.gif

I was thinking about getting one of their fridges/freezers, what do you dislike about yours?

I don't know the model #'s on the washer or dryer.

The refrigerator / freezer simply does not work properly. The system in the refrigerator that senses the door being open or closed does not work and it has poor temperature regulation as a consequence. The freezer won't stay frozen. As often as not, i'll get to the lake house and find a puddle in front of the Bosch where it defrosted itself, and then sorta refroze. A lot of times it feels like the refrigerator is colder than the freezer. You'd think this would be easy enough to fix, but the guys that fix appliances can't seem to fix it.

I've given up on it. It needs to be hauled to the curb, but I hate to just throw that kind of $$ away. It's less than three years old.

No, Sears sold and delivered / installed that appliance, and all the service calls were by, or arranged by, them, AFAIK.

Being ninety miles away, someone has to rearrange their schedule to go up during the week to meet a repairman. We only use the house on holidays, and some weekends.

Since refrigerators are hardly rocket science, I just fixed the silly thing myself.

Got up to the house for memorial day weekend to find the usual: freezer above freezing, refrigerator cooler than the freezer, and evidence of water all over the floor in front of the freezer.

So, long story short, tired of these shenanigans, I took it apart, and found massive ice accumulation on the lower evaporator coil and defroster. After cleaning all the ice out, I powered the machine back up, watched it frost and defrost the evap coils, and deduced the obvious: the evaporator fan was defective and switch on the refrigerator door was likewise defective.

Bosch parts are unobtanium at the appliance supply houses around here, so I had to order the parts from Sears Direct, paid highway robbery for expedited shipping (3rd day delivery), and went back up last weekend and put the machine back in service. My wife went up there tonight and reported to me that the freezer is frozen, the fridge is cold, and the machine seems to be working properly for the first time in a long time.

The "technicians" that previously had come out to fix the machine were clearly incompetent - all they ever did, according to my wife, was swap out the control board on top of the machine. The replacement parts were reasonably priced.

Considering the machine had a couple of parts fail early, the abysmal and useless warranty service, non existent local availability of common parts most likely to fail, and relatively high price, I probably won't touch another Bosch refrigeration product with a ten foot pole.

And I won't lose any sleep over Sears going down like the Titanic, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back