Pirelli P4 4 Seasons vs. Yokohama AVID Ascend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, looking for the best between these two. I can get $100 off plus ad matching from my nearest Ford dealer. I've heard both are great tires, the Pirelli being great in all weather and the Yokohama sticking like glue to the road and has the LRR technology.

Both are 85,000 tires. Pirelli has unlimited warranty, Yoko has 5 years.

This is for my Prius. The things I'm looking for in my tire are :

• Smooth ride quality over bumps
  • Quiet ride
  • Great or Improved MPG
  • Very slow tredwear for a long tire life
  • Good to great snow and ice traction
  • A great looking tire cosmetically (sporty)

any help would be appreciated! Are the Pirelli's good for MPG? What about the Yokohama's in bad weather? looking to choose between these two tires but if any other choices are offered here they have to be from Continental, Dunlop, Hankook, Pirelli, Goodyear, or Yokohama (rebate covers these tires only). Thanks!

I have driven two cars now with the Avid Ascend - a 2012 Prius and a 2009 Honda Fit. The Avid Ascends showed no obvious loss in fuel economy compared to the OE Avid S33d and the grip was very comparable to the Primacy MXV4 I used to have. Between the two, I would definitely choose the Ascend.

Hybrids NEED to have LRR tires in order for you to extract the full benefits of their drivetrain. For some reason, they are impacted more by tire choice than most other cars. We have one guy on Priuschat who rents many Prii for travel, and notices that the ones with generic, non-LRR tires rarely get more than low 40s, while the ones with the originals reach upper 40s without much trouble.

I have the Michelin Energy Saver A/S on my 2011 Prius, and have been getting 8% more than the OE tires. I highly recommend these tires. Take a look at these tests:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=121

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=155

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Yes, looking for the best between these two. I can get $100 off plus ad matching from my nearest Ford dealer. I've heard both are great tires, the Pirelli being great in all weather and the Yokohama sticking like glue to the road and has the LRR technology.

Any price quotes from the Ford dealer yet? I'm thinking of going there also for 16 inchers for a Matrix. Thanks!

If I'm honest I don't know any tire that has all of those qualities. If you can run a summer and winter set you can get exactly what you want, but a hard compound long lasting tire will never be as good in cold wintery conditions as a proper snow tire.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Any price quotes from the Ford dealer yet? I'm thinking of going there also for 16 inchers for a Matrix. Thanks!

My nearest Ford dealership quoted me $120 per tire for the Ascends (I checked on these last Saturday) and then the $100 rebate so it would be $380 total... I would like to do price matching however to get a better deal before MIR - and the website guarantees it so they had better match it!
grin2.gif

Not one to bang the drum, but according to TR the Avid Ascend is made in the US.

Fwiw, been satisfied with the Yoko Avid Touring S(US) and Geolander H T/S.

I have a set of P4s on my 97 4 cylinder Camry. The tires come round and with proper care they stay round. The ride is comfortable and they're reasonably quiet. I didn't notice any change in gas mileage one way or another, but suspect that there are probably better tires for fuel efficiency. The P4s are very good in the rain; we haven't had snow to speak of since they've been on the car.

The P4s have around 30K on them and the tread depth is between 7-8/32nds. That's somewhat disappointing as the Michelin Primacys on my volvo s60 show 8/32nd with just under 40k. Realize that the Primacy is H rated as compared to the P4 T rated. I would have expected the Pirelli to wear better than the Michelin, not the other way around. I tend to pull tires at around 5/32nds so I'm never going to get the advertised mileage. I would like to get 60K out of the Pirellis, but even that looks a bit doubtful right now.

Originally Posted By: Dupree
the pirelli p4's are absolutely amazing in the snow and ice. I have 25k on mine so far minimal wear, I will own them again

Dupree, what vehicle are you using them on?

I mimic your statement for my '04 Altima 2.5S 4 cyl/FWD.
The P4's make this car very enjoyable to drive every day and great in foul weather, deep snow and ice even with only FWD.

I don't really notice any MPG penality with them. I would buy them again for this particular car.

Ordered the Yokohamas. I'll keep everyone posted how they feel when I get them on tomorrow! I'm sure they'll be great!

Ordered the Yokohamas. I'll keep everyone posted how they feel when I get them on tomorrow! I'm sure they'll be great!

Excellent.

Now be sure to replace the struts and give the car a thrust-angle alignment, and let us know how it feels.

I just wanted to follow up on this post.

After 1200 miles the Yokohamas feel firm in nice weather but unstable in windy weather. Forget about using them in wet weather. As long as it does not rain we are okay. Almost got hydroplaned off the road in a rainstorm last month. Not fun.

Gas mileage is a big plus for these tires. If I go 55 on a nice day I can see 63 mpg. Not bad at all. This is about a 5-10 mpg increase.

On a windy day and I go 55, I see 51 mpg.

65 mph on a nice day gets me 48 mpg, and 65 mph on a windy day gets me 41. All depends on where I'm going and how fast I want to get there. Leisure drives with a large time margin are $$$ savers.

I just wanted to follow up on this post.

After 1200 miles the Yokohamas feel firm in nice weather but unstable in windy weather. Forget about using them in wet weather. As long as it does not rain we are okay. Almost got hydroplaned off the road in a rainstorm last month. Not fun.

Gas mileage is a big plus for these tires. If I go 55 on a nice day I can see 63 mpg. Not bad at all. This is about a 5-10 mpg increase.

On a windy day and I go 55, I see 51 mpg.

65 mph on a nice day gets me 48 mpg, and 65 mph on a windy day gets me 41. All depends on where I'm going and how fast I want to get there. Leisure drives with a large time margin are $$$ savers.

That is interesting. I have over 10,000 miles on the Ascend (T) on my 2012 Prius and I felt they work excellent in wet weather. Taking sharply curved on-ramps in the rain for testing purposes showed tremendous grip for a 15" LRR tire (195/65/15). I only went through a handful of rain storms with them and hydroplane resistance was good. Yokohama rates them very high for winter weather. Maybe your tires are under-inflated? The Ascend 195/65/15 has a max psi rating of 51psi compared to 44psi for similar sized tires. Under-inflation decreases hydroplaning resistance quite dramatically.

Just installed a set of P4s on my dad's van. They are quiet, grip well, and deliver a relatively taut ride. For $79/tire, they seem to be an acceptable cheap tire.

I love my P4's!

On CR Mag rating of tires, they show the P4's to be a bit high in the Rolling Resistance Catigory. I haven't noticed poorer fuel economy but, they didn't increase the MPG either.

They work well on the car that I use'em on. Can't answer for other vehicles.

I rotated regularly, but my P4s only made it about 55k before requiring replacement. Wore even, but they were shot. No effect on fuel economy while I had them, and they handled well enough in rain and wintry conditions.

I replaced them with Michelin Harmonys though.

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
I rotated regularly, but my P4s only made it about 55k before requiring replacement. Wore even, but they were shot. No effect on fuel economy while I had them, and they handled well enough in rain and wintry conditions.

I replaced them with Michelin Harmonys though.

It'd be nice if we could all get the MFG's warranty rating out of their tires but, I realize that not everyone can get the MFG's 80K mile warranty rating. I also think that these 80K mile ratings are a bit optimistic on the side of the TIRE MFG's themselves.

Also, they rate the tire down to 2/32nds, as we all know! And some folks may get to 80K and others will only get to 50K. Everything has to be perfect with proper balance, rotations and alignments. I haven't often gotten the rated miles from tires but, I was just thinking that, "it is what it is!"

Only when we as a family, traveled more hiwy miles, could we get close to the MFG's rating on tires. But then, we were often traveling >25K miles/year on just one of our vehicles. The other vehicles got their share of miles as well.

Don't know where I'm goin with this but...

We got every bit of 60K miles on a set of OE G/Y Integrity's from my wifes Lexus. We could have gone a bit further as the tread depth was still at least, 3/32nds but, the tires only did a few things well(ride/quiet/longevity). All of the "MORE" important features were subpar(wet traction, dry/wet handling, snow/ice travel, hydroplaning resistance and STOPPING). The G/Y Integ's would be fine, I guess, if we only drove in nice weather!

I have gotten high miles our of poor tires and low miles out of great tires. So far, I am getting decent miles out of the P4's, a great tire and am very happy thus far.

I had a car years ago that had 195-60-14 tiers and they(no matter the brand of tire) could only best ~25-30K miles out of the tires but, I love the Kelley Chargers/Dunlop GT Qualifires.
IMHO, Great Tires/Low Miles. I love these 2 brands of tires for this particular vehicle.

And this vehicle had lots of tires from...OE G/Y Eagle GT's to many private label brands such as Cordovin, GrandPrix, ElDorado, MasterCraft etc. The car fell apart one day with ~190K/17 yrs.

I always say..."If you find a good tire for your particular vehicle, stick with it, even if it's OE!"

I have this one friend that stays with BFG Traction or Touring T/A's(I can't quite remember which one) cause they work well on his particular vehicle and he doesn't want to experiment with other tires even though other tires may be rated higher and may be less expensive. These work for him and his comfort level, price range, miles traveled etc...And they just work!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back