Slick50 story (opinions wanted)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Subaru 4X4 wagon that I used as a ski vehicle. I bought it used and put a JDM twin carb H.O. engine in it soon after purchasing the car. I added a quart of Slick50 from the start and a half a quart at every oil change. I ran the car for a year and a half and changed the oil twice in that time. In the summer of 1991 I loaned the car to an acquaintance and on a very hot (100F-105F) summer day a heater hose broke and he ran the car until it ran out of compression.

My friend Brian Challender and I fixed the broken heater hose were the car sat, filled it with water and started the engine. It had very little compression left but it ran well enough to limp home.

When the heater hose blew the engine got very hot. Anything plastic that touched the outside of the engine was melted. I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge inside the car and the 600F rated oil line was half way melted through were it touched the engine. Every rubber hose that was attached to or touched the engine had melted or was brittle enough to break with your hands.

We did a leak down test and discovered that the heads were leaking so we popped them off and found they were both approximately eighty-thousandths out.
We hand lapped the heads (figure eights on a sheet of laminated glass using 200-400 grade) and got them within ten thousandths before putting it all back together with new gaskets.

The engine started right up with good cranking compression and we let it warm up while doing all the normal checks. Everything seemed tip-top so we took it on a short road test and it seemed to run perfect. After driving it back in the garage we did oil and filter change and checked the compression. The engine lost about ten PSI even on all cylinders and was still on the high side of spec (for a U.S. engine).

That evening I drove the car to town (13 miles from 1500` to 2700`) on the highway and it started cutting out at three-quarter to full throttle and got worse to the point of cutting out under any load above forty percent within five minutes after the problem first started.
The car ran well with no other symptoms and would rev out fine as long as you didn’t exceed forty percent load (low vacuum).

What the problem ended up being was that the plastic anti-friction device inside the distributor had melted and was so distorted that under low vacuum the ignition sensor pulled away from the shaft causing the loss of spark. I made a new anti-friction device out if a brass key blank and was back to running perfect.

I have never heard of an engine getting that hot and not losing ring tension. I think it is very possible that Slick50 saved the engine.

My friend Brian (a professional mechanic I think since birth till 1995) does not believe that Slick50 has anything to do with the engine not being slag.

Opinions?

Vince Russell

I just don't know. Everyone goes after the more outlandish claims (by the additive makers) and proves them misleading or false and throws out the product with that information alone. Kind of like the CR oil test. More interesting data would have come from a teardown after two hundred thousand (or more) miles. I'm still a user but I'm also not totally convinced and would like to see some long-term data.
Vince

Engine rebuilders know that the main cause of premature engine wear or sudden failure is cooling system neglect. Hardly any engines wear out due to
the friction and wear caused by using dino oil and
ordinary paper oil and air filters.

But there's no profit to be made on heater and radiator hoses or OEM antifreeze or distilled water or thermostats so no car care websites - not even this one - emphasive the extreme importance of cooling system care - far more important that what brand, type or weight of engine oil is used or whether or not a K&N or Amsoil filter was used.

But how boring...
Vince

quote:

Originally posted by monarch:
Engine rebuilders know that the main cause of premature engine wear or sudden failure is cooling system neglect. Hardly any engines wear out due to
the friction and wear caused by using dino oil and
ordinary paper oil and air filters.

But there's no profit to be made on heater and radiator hoses or OEM antifreeze or distilled water or thermostats so no car care websites - not even this one - emphasive the extreme importance of cooling system care - far more important that what brand, type or weight of engine oil is used or whether or not a K&N or Amsoil filter was used.

quote:

Originally posted by compaddict:
I just don't know. Everyone goes after the more outlandish claims (by the additive makers) and proves them misleading or false and throws out the product with that information alone. Kind of like the CR oil test. More interesting data would have come from a teardown after two hundred thousand (or more) miles. I'm still a user but I'm also not totally convinced and would like to see some long-term data.
Vince

Here ya go, maybe you might find this less boring..

Snake Oil Additives

[ November 24, 2002, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Teflon(PTFE) of other brand names of the same solid lubricant pellets are effective at sliding friction lubrication if you can get the PTFE to adhere to the point of contact.

What Slick 50 does is inhibits sound because of its density, then you think (placebo) that the engine is running more smoothly. IF the pellets are not machined small enough they have an affinity to "stack or pool" at oil journal entry points and block off up to 50% of the lower area of the journal, disrupting oil flow rate and causing localized heating. This can starve a critical area of lubrication and because of localized heating create a temprorary increase in performance ( thinner oil sheared or thinned by heat) until the oil starved component is destroyed.

Finally the solids have an affinity at resting in the oil pan/sump and collecting and holding sludge precursers that eventually collect into full blown black sludge creating more problems.

The Physicist (DR. Harold Shaub) who helped develop Slick 50 is currently working on another PTFE derived additive called "Techrobond" to replace ZDDP. The compound uses a catalyst and modified PTFE to alter surfaces and bind low friction compounds at room temp.

The only benefit you would have gained in your Subaru would be the PAO base oil with ZDDP that help your oil dissipate the heat to save the little horizontally opposed 4 banger.

Just my opinion.

quote:

Originally posted by monarch:
no car care websites - not even this one - emphasize the extreme importance of cooling system care -

Monarch,
I started a post a long time ago on the PH levels in anti-freeze etc. I had to add vinegar to my truck to bring it in spec. I check it 4 times a year along with the SCA. If the interest is not there, it is hard to get a topic going on any subject. I would love to see you post on cooling system problems, additives etc. I have a lot to learn on cooling system filters, additives, hose types etc. I posed a question on Evans Waterless Coolant and only had one reply.
Please ask away, but start a new topic, and thanks for your concern as I personally learn alot on this site.

And Dr. F.G. Reick, who first patented the colloidal dispersion of PTFE (Pat. 4,224,173), never did prove that his dispersion of PTFE bonded to metal and if so, how it did not shear from metal, supposing it ever did bond to it.

Not to disagree with my esteemed physicist collegue, but researching non-PTFE films that react with the metal's surface layers, would be a better path to follow, IMHO.

[ November 24, 2002, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

What I joked about being boring is the reference to cooling systems being a larger cause of catastrophic wear than oil.
Vince

I have a couple of relatives that swear by
Slick 50, both have cars that have reached 200,000+ miles (1983 T-bird and 1988 Ranger), however, both change their oil on a regular basis (every 3,000 miles), so I think the "magic" wasn't Slick 50 rather good car care i.e. change your oil!

why waste time and money. every single oil and engine company will have nothing to do with oil additives, especially slick 50. this should say something.

Two years ago my wife drove our 85 Volvo wagon home with no drive belt (thought the alternator light only meant the car was not charging). That was at 215,000mi....doing just fine at 236,000mi. I think it was luck you stopped short of cooking the engine.

Only diesel engines with wet liners need the supplemental coolant additives (SCAs) to prevent cavitation damage on the liners, and in pickups, this is only the International/Navistar engines in the Fords. I don't believe either the Cummins nor the Isuzu Duramax have wet liners, so ordinary coolant maintenance should be adequate.

Ken

Ken,

The 5.9 Cummins in a Dodge and the Power Stroke Diesel engines are both parent-bore designs, neither has wet liners.

The International (formerly Navistar) 7.3 PSD cast block does need the SCA additive, while the Cummins does not. Go figure, I get 2 trucks that require this maintenance.

While a super engine, I have no idea on the Duramax.

Quote by vetteman:
"I had to add vinegar to my truck to bring it in spec."
That is a neat apparently effective and obviously inexpensive trick to use.

Where does a guy/gal buy PH strips ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back