Auro-RX in synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently(last week) switched to a shell synthetic oil(Rotella Full Synth). I've noticed my oil leak has returned. Is there any downside to using auto-rx in a synthetic oil like the rotella?

--Matt

Synthetic Oil is not designed to work with all seals. To stop your leak, drain this oil and go to a non-synthetic oil and run it for 3000 miles. The petrol chemistry of the non-synthetic oil will cause seal to make firm bond and leak will stop. You had this leak and just did not stay long enough with Auto-Rx Program for seal leaks. I am assuming you have just cleaned your engine with Auto-Rx in the above information. If incorrect, you will have to start over. Once Auto-Rx and non-synthetic oil has stopped leak, it makes no difference if you use synthetic, leak won't start again.

no, I've not used the auto-rx yet. it just came thursday. I was planning on putting it off till it warmed up. I am talking about using the treatment in synthetic oil.

--Matt

the only reason I ask is because it mentions that for saturn twin cam engines non-synthetic oil should be used for the treatment whereas the regular engines specift whatever oil is in there. I have a single cam saturn engine.

--Matt

The Rotella Synthetic 5W40 is a GRP III oil. You will not have a problem with this oil. Auto-Rx should work just fine in it.

[ November 24, 2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

is it just the PAO oils that are problematic with auto-rx?

oh, This oil/filter has only like 200 miles on it. Do I really need to chnge it before putting in the auto-rx?

--Mat

I would not change out the oil or filter but you may need to let a bit of oil out to make room for the Auto-RX.
wink.gif

I asked the same question of Auto-Rx:

quote:

Dear sir,

My name is Rich Eklund. I do a little bit of consulting for Frank and
Auto-Rx. Auto-Rx will work with synthetic oils, disters, triesters, ect.
However what we have found is that the product works slower when combined
with other esters. It will help clean in snythetic oils, its just slower or
needs to run longer. I speak just from experience of Auto-Rx use. It seems
that Auto-Rx being polar and same for the synthetic oil, they in some respect
compete for space on the contamination. Auto-Rx in dino oil does not have to
compete for metal surfaces.

I hope this is helpful. The synthetic oil will eventually clean out
contamination over many, many, scheduled oil changes. Auto-Rx in the
synthetic of choice will speed that up dramatically. Dino and Auto-Rx seems
to be the fastest.

Frank was traveling today. I hope this helps you.

Sincerely,

Rich Eklund

excellent, I guess I will just drain the synthetic oil and throw in some cheap dino oil(shell, valvoline, havoline, penzoil?). That's really not a big deal. Although changing the filter on a saturn is kind of a pain. Should the small amount of synthetic oil in the filter pose a problem with the dino oil I dump into the crankcase? Thanks for your help.

--Matt

ok, I put the ARX in earlier this evening and just went for a drive now. After letting the engine warm up with a little drive I started driving my car like I stole it, making sure to get in the upper RPM's and downshifting to accelerate ALL THE TIME. I thought I heard from someone that this was a good methooldolgy for letting the auto-rx do it's job; Is that correct?

--Matt

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
The Rotella Synthetic 5W40 is a GRP III oil. You will not have a problem with this oil. Auto-Rx should work just fine in it.[/QUOT

mksoem,

The Rotella Synthetic is a DINO oil (GRP III), don't dump it, just add Auto-Rx to your existing oil and filter.

so it's just a very well refined dino oil? The properties that make PAO oils not work as well in this situation are not present in the hydrocracked(sp?) DINO oils?

I apreciate your help Vetteman, I am low about a third quart so I'm just gonna dump the bottle of ARX in there.

--Matt

mksoem,
I am sure that is not the recommendation from Frank at Auto-Rx. But that is the way that I did it on my 350 GM engine and the results were excellent. I think that a good 30-50 mile drive after installation of the Auto-Rx is a good thing to do to start a good cleaning process. I admit, I did drive like I was a Moonshiner with a load of fresh brew in the vehicle with the Feds after me when I first installed the Auto-Rx.

indeed. I actually think my car prefers to see WOT every now and then. I'm noticing already that the engine is running more smoothly at idle, not to mention quieter.

--Matt

hehe, I figure the ARX is more likely to get in between those ring packs with a bit more power going by. WOT seems to fix things on occasion anyways.

--Matt

mksoem,
You had mentioned on another post that after the Auto-Rx you were going to change oil to some dino brand. You can use the Rotella Synthetic because it is still a dino. No problems with this oil during the Auto-Rx clean and after the clean.

so I can put rotella synthetic right when I drain out the stuff with the auto-rx in it? This will be fine rather than going to a regular ol cheap dino oil? I''m getting close to the 1000 mile mark on the auto-rx.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back