longest lasting spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Hyundai Sonata with the 2.7 Delta V6 that is due for new plugs. This thing looks to be a pain in the rear to do the work so I was looking to replace them with high quality plugs. I'm not looking for performance plugs, just ones that will last the full 100k miles of service the manual calls for. What brands/product lines do you all recommend?

Thanks

NGK are some of the longest lasting ones out there.

Routinely installed on new cars and 100k miles factory specified service interval.

I have the original platinum plugs in my 2000 Intrepid 2.7 sludger. 138,000 miles. I have cleaned and gapped them twice. re-installed with anti-seize on the threads. Runs very well.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
NGK are some of the longest lasting ones out there.

+1

The AC Delco plugs for my GMC are made by NGK. I have heard that some have lasted for 200,000 miles without a problem in a Toyota.

I think NGK and Denso are the best plugs now days.

Iridium will be the slowest to degrade in most applications.

I think it's silly to say that "NGKs last longer" than some other brand.

FWIW I have read that it's best to change spark plugs at 50k even if the manufacturer recommends every 100k because after 100k they can be very difficult to remove.

Originally Posted By: 2James1
FWIW I have read that it's best to change spark plugs at 50k even if the manufacturer recommends every 100k because after 100k they can be very difficult to remove.

I just had one of my sons change the plugs in my 1999 Nissan Maxima at 86,000 miles and 13 years. He used NGKs, same as the originals. He had no difficulty with the removal, and the rear bank of plugs presented no problem with accessability. No removal of any components was necessary.

The last set of Double Platinum's that I used on my Taurus were a little discolored after 90,000 miles. Which is totally normal.

I decided to change them out as the solenoid pack went and it is better just to do the whole plugs-wires-power pack at the same time then wait for something else to fail.

BTW, a little dab of anti-sieze on a spark plug will ensure easier extraction after 90,000 miles.

With a modern motor I almost wouldn't bother changing the plugs anymore.

I changed the AC Delco original plugs in my Silverado last fall at 85k and they looked perfect. I don't plan on ever changing them again.

I'd just run them until one fails, and I bet that's north of 200k.

I swapped out my Denso Iridium plugs in my 2008 xB last week. All the plugs looked decent except one which had quite a larger gap. This is at 70K miles of use.

Replaced with NGK Laser Iridiums and plan to leave those in until 140K Miles.

If your talking about spark plugs from years back .. yes , but new plugs often have anti seize coatings on the threads .

So I take it I should get iridium plugs. I'll have to look in then manual but I'm assuming that's what it came with due to the 105k suggested mileage.

What are the general feeling on the Autolite XP's? They have a rebate now that makes them a good price for an iridium plug.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Denso does not make a VERY high mileage Iridium plug like NGK's Laser.

Last I checked they only made the higher performance, 0.4 diameter center electrode deal which supposedly only lasts for ~ 30K miles (at least that's when Denso suggests they be changed out).
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I have the original platinum plugs in my 2000 Intrepid 2.7 sludger. 138,000 miles. I have cleaned and gapped them twice. re-installed with anti-seize on the threads. Runs very well.

Why even bother reusing them 2x? The price of plugs is cheap enough to replace - especially considering the labor involved in some vehicles. But - they are working for you and I cannot fault you for that!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: dparm

Denso does not make a VERY high mileage Iridium plug like NGK's Laser.

Last I checked they only made the higher performance, 0.4 diameter center electrode deal which supposedly only lasts for ~ 30K miles (at least that's when Denso suggests they be changed out).
wink.gif

Denso makes two Iridium plugs, the Iridium Power (for high performance cars) and Iridium Long Life (for 100k miles lifespan). The Iridium Power plugs are scheduled to be replaced much under 100k miles, something like 30K IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back