Engine pics--97k Miles on 2.2 Ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to start of and say that this site is great. I can spend hours on here at a time.

Anyways. 2006 Chevy Malibu 2.2L Ecotec: So I had a small oil leak that seemed to be coming from my valve cover. I pulled it off today and decided to take a picture of it. I'm satisfied with how it looks! The engine itself has 97k miles, with about 2500 miles on the oil itself. I have only used Mobil 1 and now switching to Castrol Edge. Take a look for yourself.

IMAG0294.jpg

Not bad, eh?

But I was poking around and saw something I didn't like. I wiggled the timing chain and noticed a lot of slack/play in it. A buddy of mine told me SOME slack is okay, but not a lot. The engine runs quietly, no problems whatsoever. Video of the loose chain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7XdkFbKLZM

It is common on the older model ecotecs but I don't think my 2006 model year was affected. Guess it is?

Any opinions on anything would be great! Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go chase this oil leak and try to find out where its coming from. Thanks for reading!

I'm not an expert on that engine but, that amount of slack seems acceptable based on other engines I'm familiar with. Does the Ecotec engine use oil pressure to snug up the chain while running? Some engines do. Ed

With an engine that clean at 97,000 miles, I have to ask: Why are you changing from Mobil 1 to Castrol?

Have you seen the Edge PDS lately? Little info other than OK.
They can keep it, i would stay with Mobil 1 if i were you, the stuff obviously keeps the engine clean.

Your 2.2. has the improved design and nozzle fix. It does use a tensioner that operates with engine oil pressure, nothing to worry about if its quiet when running.

That amount of slack between the cams can be normal. Depending on where the engine rests when stopped, the valve springs can cause the cams to turn towards each other making the slack seem worse than it is. If it rattles at start up, then I would change the tensioner. Keep up the good work!

Originally Posted By: Boomer
With an engine that clean at 97,000 miles, I have to ask: Why are you changing from Mobil 1 to Castrol?

^^2nd. Stay with M1.

What compelling reason is there to change? The M1 is doing an excellent job. I would not change a thing.

Originally Posted By: Mark_S

What compelling reason is there to change? The M1 is doing an excellent job. I would not change a thing.

+1

DEFINITELY a +3 one on that question!

Last edited:
I have been impressed with Mobil 1 pictures. It does not seem to leave any varnish at all. I recall Overkill and Bill's pictures which show no color tint at all.

+1

The timing chain may be loose without the oil pressurized tensioner in operation.[if it has one]

Clean engines are normal nowadays. This is not 1970.

+7

+8. My engines only see M1 oils and are as clean as yours.Also if there is no noise then your chain guids are still in good condition. It's the guides that are prone to failure due to poor oil conditions.

Last edited:
Stick w/ the M1. It's a known quantity in ur engine w/ ur driving now. It has obviously kicked butt in this car. Plus there's something really cool about saying it has had M1 its whole life. Keep the pattern going. It's tradition now!
smile.gif

Not a fan of the new Edge anyhow. LOVED the old stuff that was pretty thin & was so smooth & quiet.

I don't care for Mobil but I must concede it consistently produces very clean, even varnish free engine pics.

Thanks for the comments. Reason why I was going to change was because I got a killer deal on the Castrol oil but you guys do make a good point. And I do believe it is a hydraulic tensioner so the chain slack is normal i'm guessing. I'm still trying to find where this oil leak is coming from. It looked like it was coming from the valve cover gasket but upon further inspection, it seems as its coming an area lower than that. PITA lol

Why do the cams left of the third intake port look so much cleaner than the right side of the third (from the left) port? Is this a lighting situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back