paging BOBISTHEOILGUY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way you could do one of those bearing tests on Restore? Many people including me have had good results with it and it is also listed as an extreme pressure lubricant as well. Also what about testing it on an engine and how well it raises compression and smooths out the cylinder head walls? Any way you could pull this off as well? thanks
Jason

If I get my hands on some Restore, I'll be more than happy to put it on the machine. As for putting it in an engine and doing compression checks and such, that I'll leave up to someone else.

Bob,

thanks it'll be interesting to see how this stuff fares on the machine

Do alot of places where you live not carry Restore or something? Around here, just about everyone including Wally World carry the stuff.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I can't wait to see how well Restore does on this test. should be interesting
smile.gif

Jason

I have received the restore sample and immediately put it on the timken machine. The first thing I noticed looking at how this was reacting to the bearing was it was clinging extremely well to the bearing. Good if you want a solid strong coating, bad as it can reduce oil flow actually touching the metal surface. Now that isn't the main reason for doing the timken on this, so once I spun it up, and applied the pressure, it had excellent results as for a barrier additive. It appeared to withstand all I could put on it. On clean up, it was seem to stick to the parts more than any of the others I have seen. This test was done without putting any other oils in with this sample.

I know a lot of people think that these additives should be tested on this with a carrier oil as if it was to be in the engine. I don't agree. This test is designed to test for the last line of defense which is a barrier additive. Barrier additives normally are already in some sort of carrier motor oil so addition to this will not help. Also, Heat is one of the primary things that "activate" barrier additives. This is true with the zddp and moly. In the case of moly, the hotter it gets, the faster it plates up.

So testing an additive in its raw form should demonstrate it's ability to lay a barrier additive down on the surface. One last point on this is that if you are to put an additive in an oil and test it, how would you know what is laying down the barrier, the motor oils additive package or the additive you applied? All good oils will resist shearing with the use of barrier additives so to truly test just the item on this machine you want to verify, it must be done by itself.

Interesting I was thinking that it would do well on that machine since its an EP but wasn't sure. I do have a question. On a high mileage engine (126k) such as the 318 in my Grand Cherokee, which additive would you prefer? Restore, Lucas, Shaeffers, STP, or Slick 50 strictly from extra protection from friction and wear? I know the main purpose of Restore is to improve compression in worn engnies, but it also seems to be a good lubricant as well in terms of a barrier lubricant.

Jason

quite honestly I myself do not promote the use of any additives in respect to helping oils. The 132 was / is designed as a additive to help worn old engines, unfortunately / fortunately, people are using this as a way to increase wear protection with existing oil which evidently appears many are not quite satisfied with the current design so by adding the 132 it appears to be reducing the wear #s , this being the fortunate side. Myself, I'll stick with the schaeffers oil that imo has all the benefits of the 132 already incorporated into it.

FWIW, I just took another sample of the 15w40 dino schaeffers moly bond oil, giving it a total of 6845 miles on this oil, with the same fram filter. Will be looking to see how this holds up soon as I get it sent off.

Many of you had a difficult time finding relative information on Auto-Rx web site. Please revisit
www,auto-rx.com think you will find your answers quickly. On another subject if friction reducers sold as stand alone products had actual benefit
Every major oil company would have an aftermarket friction reducer. Bob's right the additive package in a quality oil is sufficent to reduce friction.

Yeah I would agree that a good oil alone is enough. But I used Restore in my last truck I had and it actually made it run smoother and have a little more power. So I guess theres other benefits to using it as well. Other than motor flushes and auto-rx it's about the only engine additive that I think really works.

Jason

Well Bob you answered my question about Restore. Thank you for taking the time to do this test for me and the rest of the forum.

I've recommended this site to several people on other forums I'm a member. Not sure if any have come here but I'm sure some will eventually. It's how I found out about this site ( thanks Patman).

Jason

You must Patman, everytime I log on, which is quite often, your name is at the bottom of the screen. You oil junky you!
gr_stretch.gif

I think I have oil in my veins instead of blood!
smile.gif

Last night while watching TV I said to my wife "I know what you can get me for Christmas" and the first thing that came out of her mouth was "what, some oil?"
grin.gif

My dad has used "restore" at every oil change in one of his cars, 1990 Sentra, since he bought the car in 1991. The sentra still runs very good, he changes his oil every three months, so that might be the real secret, not the restore. I have a 1989 Sentra that I recently tried "restore" in, I used it with 10W-30 Chevron supreme, I've only put a couple hundred miles on it since the oil change, the only difference I've noticed is a smoother idle in neutral, at first I thought it was just me, but my wife even mentioned it (which blew my mind) she didn't even know I changed the oil or added restore to the car, good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back