Stop Leak oil additives VS. High Mileage oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RollerRocker
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: FamilyBuggy
I may give one of HM oils a try along with one of the sealers and see what happens.

In terms of the seal conditioners, do you feel there is a difference between the HM M1 and the HM Castrol?

I tried both, M1 HM 5w30 the M1 HM was far more effective for my issues and its Mobil 1!

I would never use a Mobil 1 product, not anymore anyway. can't trust them. Best to go with Valv HM full synthetic type.
I think you have fallen off your Roller rocker. Mobil-1 is some of the best oil in the world..get a clue ..
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I've had good results from Supertech HM 10W30 and most recently QS HM 5W30.

Me too, my 89 Integra calls for motor oil in the manual trans and the input shaft seal (complete breakdown required to replace it) started leaking so I changed to supertech WPP 10w-40 and it took about 2k miles but it quit leaking onto the clutch and no more slip.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: RollerRocker
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I may give one of HM oils a try along with one of the sealers and see what happens.

In terms of the seal conditioners, do you feel there is a difference between the HM M1 and the HM Castrol?

I tried both, M1 HM 5w30 the M1 HM was far more effective for my issues and its Mobil 1!

I would never use a Mobil 1 product, not anymore anyway. can't trust them. Best to go with Valv HM full synthetic type.

I am not a fan of Mobil products and I will go out of my way not use them. But I would not worry about it one bit if I did. XOM is one if not the most respected brands in lubricants.

Ok...thanks everyone. I'll just go with M1 HM along with some snake-oil sealer.

Didn't mean to start a fight though.
eek.gif

Let the M1 HM do its thing first, may not need the snake oil seal. If its no better after 3k with M1 HM then try that seal stuff

Ok...just an update on things. It's been a few weeks since I switched to M1 HM 10w-40 and some Bar's oil stop leak. The leaks have certainly slow down quite a bit....enough, in fact, for me to park in the driveway some. It's hard to say just which product has helped the most...so I'll just assume it's a team effort between the 2.

As things warm up this spring I plan to switch over to HM 20w-50 and another bottle of the Bar's (it does say it can require 2 treatments sometimes). I'll post up again in a few weeks.

Just another update. I switched to Castrol HM 20w-50 about 3 weeks ago. The Castrol HM in that weight was easier to find than the M1. I decided to not add another bottle of the Bar's treatment just yet...to see how it would do. So far, the leaks have slowed even more. Now whether that's the additives in the Castrol HM or the thicker oil I can't say. Given what a leaker she was a few months ago...I'm pretty happy though.

Just another update. I switched to Castrol HM 20w-50 about 3 weeks ago. The Castrol HM in that weight was easier to find than the M1. I decided to not add another bottle of the Bar's treatment just yet...to see how it would do. So far, the leaks have slowed even more. Now whether that's the additives in the Castrol HM or the thicker oil I can't say. Given what a leaker she was a few months ago...I'm pretty happy though.

Castrol HM 20w50 Dino is more than double the thickness of Mobil 1 10w40 full synthetic. Will tick like crazy on startup with that, so dont add motor honey, may starve it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back