Once a year oil change, when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering going to a once-per-year oil change on my 2006 Chevrolet Colorado (2.8 inline 4). Currently, I am averaging about 500 miles per month, so I do a lot of short driving. Considering using QSUD if I can find it in 0w/30, Mobil1 0W/30 if I can not.

Is there a better time to change the oil? Was thinking of changing late October or early November. Figuring that the fresh oil would fight fuel dilution better due to the colder temps.

Second option would be to run an 0w/30 full synthetic Oct-March followed by Motorcraft Syn Blend April-Sept.

I suggest the opposite. Change it around May 1, after the winter and the possible fuel and moisture dilution. So you get to drive at least six months of the year without the fuel and moisture dilution in there. If you change in November, you quickly get the fuel and moisture in there, and it stays there for another year.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Agreed, in the spring to get rid of the winter contaminates...

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I suggest the opposite. Change it around May 1, after the winter and the possible fuel and moisture dilution. So you get to drive at least six months of the year without the fuel and moisture dilution in there. If you change in November, you quickly get the fuel and moisture in there, and it stays there for another year.

+1. This is what i would do. You don't want that fuel in there during the summer.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Second option would be to run an 0w/30 full synthetic Oct-March followed by Motorcraft Syn Blend April-Sept.

That's what I'd do!

Does this beast have GM's OLM system?
If so, use it as your guide to OCIs.
It is a very sophisticated bit of kit, and it will tell you when you are due for a change based upon how you use the vehicle.

I do a once a year on my Ford Ranger 4.0, 2003.

Usually in the early spring.

Interesting. I was doing it before winter because the cars would tick less on startup. Guess the fuel contaminants are more concerning than cold startup wear from dirty oil that has thickened.

yes, it does have the OLM, but just the basic one that says "change oil" not the one with percentage of oil life.

I do it when convenient and roughly a year. If it goes to 1.5, I don't worry much... But I'm not terribly concerned because I'm careful with the short trips on my low use cars.

Originally Posted By: bigdawg74
Run conventional 5w30 in it and change it every 6 months. Get the crud out instead of keeping it in for a year.

Or better yet, change it out every 3 months, instead of keeping the crud in for 6 months. Lol.

Originally Posted By: tig1
There is no advantage when you change.

This. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back