Ok to use 5w30 in place of 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy 1 case of oil for both cars. Nissan takes 5w30. My Ranger calls for 5w20 and has 12k miles on it. Any worries to be expected?

thanks

My 11 ranger 4DOHC 4 didnt want 5w30 - it felt like it was pulling a trailer through mud. Of course it didnt like the 20 either given all the really bad clacking knocking and clatter. Another "Made in Spain" mazda junk engine.

Buy a case of each.
Two different grades shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Register the two new cars for one of the SOPUS rebates, and pick up a jug of QSUD or Ultra for each in the speced grade for nearly FAR.

I can't comment on how the Ranger will like 5W-30, but I'm currently running it in our VUE which has a Honda V6 that specs 5W-20 and it likes it just fine. I have not noticed any difference in feel or performance. However, I'm running G-OIL 5W-30 and most UOAs show quite a bit of shearing in that oil, so operating viscosity may be down to the 5W-20 range anyway.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My 11 ranger 4DOHC 4 didnt want 5w30 - it felt like it was pulling a trailer through mud. Of course it didnt like the 20 either given all the really bad clacking knocking and clatter. Another "Made in Spain" mazda junk engine.

Kinda hard to believe, if you ask me. I put 5w30 in my 07 Civic 1.8L (it specs 5w20) and didn't notice a single negative side effect - minus like .5 less MPGs average per tank.

I also ran "supposedly" thick 5w30 Redline and Amsoil Euro in my 07 Civic Si and didn't notice a single difference. Some say those oils are as thick as 10w40 in reality based on the HTHS.

OP, the engine will be just fine on the slightly thicker 5w30. Besides, it specs 5w20 for emission purposes anyway. If it was up to Ford, they'd recommend a thicker oil for it.

Since those cars are under warranty, buy the correct oil for each.

Once the warranty is up feel free to run Xw30 in both.

Originally Posted By: Artem
ARCOgraphite said:
OP, the engine will be just fine on the slightly thicker 5w30. Besides, it specs 5w20 for emission purposes anyway. If it was up to Ford, they'd recommend a thicker oil for it.

No, it's 100% up to Ford and Ford spec's a 20wt oil because it is a more efficient lubricant than the heavier more shear prone 5W-30 grade. CAFE may have been the motivation to develop more fuel efficient motor oils but as one Ford engineer told me at the recent Toronto International Auto Show no sacrifices have been made in terms of engine durability. The 20wt oils used today are no lighter at operating temp's after extended service than the multi-grade 30wt oils of years past.
That said even the spec' 20wt oil is still too thick ever time the engine is started until the oil temp's get up to at least 80C.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Kinda hard to believe, if you ask me. I put 5w30 in my 07 Civic 1.8L (it specs 5w20) and didn't notice a single negative side effect - minus like .5 less MPGs average per tank.
Kinda hard to believe how you might equate the performance of 5w30 in your Honda Civic to how a Ford will run. My Honda fit doesnt seem to be oil weight sensitive either, whereas the 08 Yaris was. I DO know the HONDA is MUCH smoother and quieter NOT using ILSAC oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back