Raptor 125 Yamalube Racing 15w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experimenting with this oil in one of our race quads. Looking to go thin on viscosity and see if that has any effect on throttle responce...and wear metals. Shocked at the high top end wear metals. Gonna run it some more and look for trends with this oil. Topend on this engine is only 12 hours old, may still be breaking in. We run a leaded race gas in this engine for the compression.

Find virgin sample Here.

11Raptor125YamalubeRacing15w30.jpg

3hrs??? OUCH!

please tell me you are running leaded fuel.

alum 30 - ouch! pray this is clutch basket and not piston!
chromium 7 - are the bearings grinding? ouch!
iron 51 - houston this is NOT GOOD! trans gears?
copper 4 - bushings?
tin,manganese,silver,titanium had all *better* be scatter or else ouch!
silicon of 33 is either poor air filtration or sealants. but...for 3hrs im thinking filtration. consider filter filters!!!

had to look up the specs on your pod --- 124cc air-cooled 4-stroke: SOHC; single

air cooled???!!! in 2012? jezz! i had the first water cooled dirtbike -> 1981 yz125. yes, 31 years ago. i'm so glad we went backwards in time on tech.

your susvis IS a 30wt, and the flash is very good. no fuel.

my take on it is this -> this oil simply cannot provide proper protection of the gearbox under your racing conditions. you did the right thing in testing this oil. gonna guess that since you are in LA, you race in a lot of sand and that causes a lot of load too. would love to see a uoa of same oci with SRT or ST 15w40. but would really really like to see you run filter filters even more so!

steve

Agree with all of your conclusions. Yes, leaded fuel.

This engine has a centrifugal oil filter inside the clutch cover, I'd say it isn't very effective.

I contacted the engine builder, he mentioned quite heavy valve springs, that may be the origin of the high top end wear. I will run this oil one more race and check again. I have a couple oil in mind (that I have on hand) if this one doesn't settle down.

The filter is a two layer UNI, which usually does a good job, but I'll have to check the rim for a good seal.

This is basically a TTR125 motorcycle engine that got slightly modified for quad use. Yes, the last race was very sandy, we ran at Red River Motorcycle Trails up in Bulcher, nice place, hard on quads. Took 3 quads to race, one came home undamaged, the other two required work because the track was very abusive.

ok i used to own a ttr125l (wifes), so i know that motor.

you may want to look real close at cam and cam journals.
and by may i mean DO IT!

i can promise that unless the filter cage is not fitting it will NOT be a rim seal issue. your airfilter alone is not enough.

get these -> http://www.drillspot.com/products/655018/cellucap_bi-400hsd_blue_bouffant_cap_sz_21_in_blue?s=1

and oil it and put it OVER the air filter.

ah red river. yep raced their a few times. the "elevator shaft" section is nasty. loved the rest.
have you ever raced at barnwell mt in gilmer?

steve

Never seen the hair net solution, I'll give it a try, thanks.

My oldest daughter, 15, rolled her KFX450R on the elevator shaft, tricky.

I've raced at Barnwell Mtn twice, fun place, can be tough on equipment. It's full of iron ore rocks that break easily, but don't cut tires. The red dust is bad, gets into everything, engine included. Can be steep in places with tough rocky elevation changes and sandy bottoms.

What am I looking for on the cam and journals? My daughter floated a valve on this motor last fall, broke the valve head off, punched 4 holes in the top of the piston before the engine locked up...over rev. Sent the engine to a shop in Pa that had some experience with these engines in quads. Very happy with the power, was told it was built to very tight tolerances on the piston to bore and titanium valve springs with much higher tension. Valve springs may be eating my Hot Cams cam.

No one else, engine builder included, has done any UOAs on this engine when built and raced. I'm gonna hold the course for now, but through the summer I'll use some other oils to see. I want to stay thin if I can, I have some Maxima 530MX on deck for this engine.

been using the hair nets for ..... um, hang on i'm trying to remember when i started its been a while....i think it was '00.
i know it was before i got my new bike in dec of '00. so must have been spring or summer of '00.

yeah i was remembering back to the shaft section and went "on a quad? that could be ugly!!" i guess it was. sorry to hear that.

yeah i dont know if the cdi in the ttr motor has a rev limiter or not. of course a downshift near the limiter just says munch me all over it.

look for excessive wear on the cam journals in the head and cam cap. also any odd wear on the cam lobes. make sure to run the proper torque on those cam cap bolts do NOT over tighten. its like 10nm (verify in manual). not much at all. i've seen lots of motors sieze the cam with too much on the bolts.
what valve lash are you running?

530mx might be a better choice. so far i have really liked the maxima products. but on this motor especially with summer coming i would tend to go with the 15w40 hdeos. and keep it fresh, but you already know this.

i have done 2 gncc's at barnwell and 1 national enduro there. did very well at the 2nd gncc and enduro.

Seems like the last GNCC at Barnwell Mtn was '04? I wasn't racing then, started in '06. I used to offroad Jeeps at Barnwell Mtn before I started racing quads. It's a nice place and La Finca Mexican Restaurant in Gilmer is very nice for a small town place. haven't been there in a couple years now, last time I was there the erosion had changed much of what I remembered. Looked like it would take a rock buggy to get to many places of the park that I used to go in a beat up on Grand Cherokee.

yep gncc's were 03 and 04 and national enduro was '07.

the 03 gncc was the toughest of them. it's the one where shane watts said it was too tough to race. i did more laps than he did that day.
laugh.gif

Don't recognize the name, but can vouch for the tough terrain at Barnwell Mtn. Never been on all the bike trails there, too narrow for a quad. We're limited to mostly the 4x4 trails and they are mostly too "big" for a quad to make it through.

shane watts:
Six Time Australian Enduro Champion
Australian 500cc Motocross Champion
1997 World Enduro Champion
1998 International Six Day Enduro Overall Champion
2000 Grand National Cross Country Champion

oh one more nit pick about your uoa:

barium of 19? really? where the heck did that come from?

that is a lot for just scatter

Originally Posted By: sunruh

oh one more nit pick about your uoa:

barium of 19? really? where the heck did that come from?

that is a lot for just scatter

I agree, beats me, it's not in the VOA, but what sheds barium? I'm thinking it may have been missed in the VOA.

Last edited:
Filtered or not , if you run leaded race fuel, it will be in your oil,I run it all the time.

You might gain 1/8 horse with thin oil, but my experience with oils like 5w40 and 30 weights, pure synthetic PAO mc oils, they dont quelch enough cam lobe wear, especially with an offroad racing motor. Add in shear an fuel dilution reduces film strength for the tranny too, IMO dont waste your time, unless after accelerated wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back