Best Seal Conditioners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too would like to know what the Proffessionals are calling a seal conditioner . I read that Polyol Esters and Diesters are rough on seals without other agents put in the oil so should these be called seal protectors ?

We call them "mediating" chemicals, although not a purely technical term. I guess one other term that might apply is "neutralizing" additives.

Parker Hannifan (SP?), a seal manufacturer, has some definitions but when I read them, they didn't seem very instructive.

Here are some definitions from THE text on seals: "Handbook on Fluid Sealing," Ed. R. V. Brink, McGraw-Hill, Inc. ISBN 0-07-007827-0 (this book describes how seals are manufactured, seal materials, and properties of seals, gasket design, and the proper seal/application),
and from the Parker Seals "Gasket-O-Seals Handbook." Dragboat has the contact numbers for the Parker Company if anyone else is interested.

Here are some definitions that may apply to our discussion, although NO one defines seal conditioning!!!

Durometer - Numerical scale of seal hardness,
Absorption - the physical mechanism by which one substance attracts or takes up another substance (liquid, gas, or vapor) into its INTERIOR,
Compression Set - the amount by which a rubber specimen fails to return to original shape after release of compressive load,
Memory - tendency of a material to return to original shape after deformation,
Oil Swell - the change in the volume of a rubber article due to absorption of oil or other fluid,
Oil Resistant - ability of a vulcanized rubber to resist swelling and deteriorating effects of oil or other fluid,
Resilient - capable of returning to original size and shape after deformation,
Volume Swell - increase in physical size caused by the swelling action of a liquid,
Shrinkage - loss of volume after curing, or the decrease in volume of the elastomer usually caused by immersion in fluid and subsequent air drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back