Auto-RX and extended drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone see a problem with using Auto-RX in the 3oz "maintenance dosage" in a vehicle that will be running 10K mile drain intervals?

The oil I'll be using is Mobil-1 5W-30 along with 16oz of Schaeffers #123.

It seems this would be a lot more convenient than doing the Auto-RX treatment every 25-30K miles. What's the downside to this?

If I don't hear any "OMG, DON'T DO IT!!" comments I'll try it and post the UOA when I get done with my next 10K...

[ July 30, 2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

I can't speak for Frank and Nick, but I don't forsee any problems with a maintenance dose of Auto-RX.

I would, however, reduce the #132 to 8 0z. or 250 mL.

'Kule,

From the UOAs you've seen are you comfortable with his intent to go 10K? I'm not, but all flattery aside, you're the expert chemist!
bowdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I can't speak for Frank and Nick, but I don't forsee any problems with a maintenance dose of Auto-RX.

I would, however, reduce the #132 to 8 0z. or 250 mL.

It's no problem at all to reduce it but out of curiosity, why? The suggestions that have been made of adding #132 to Mobil-1 got my interest up enough to purchase some. I'd never thought of using it before. The vehicle holds 6 1/2 quarts by the way...

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
'Kule,

From the UOAs you've seen are you comfortable with his intent to go 10K? I'm not, but all flattery aside, you're the expert chemist!
bowdown.gif

The last change interval was 10K and the UOA seemed good from what everyone said. It was just Mobil-1 5W-30 that time though.

Hey, no guts, no glory...
tongue.gif

[ July 30, 2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

I used Auto-Rx maint doses for a 9,300 mile run w/BobZoil(Schaeffer Supreme 7000 10w30). Look some months back on the UOA board. I'd think it would improve *any* bare-nekkid oil.
grin.gif

Ahhh, I was assuming about a 4-5 quart capacity, but if the sump holds 6 1/2 quarts, then you're close to a pint already.
fruit.gif

As for 10k intervals, do a UOA every 3-5k to make sure the mix is performing ok.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Ahhh, I was assuming about a 4-5 quart capacity, but if the sump holds 6 1/2 quarts, then you're close to a pint already.
fruit.gif

As for 10k intervals, do a UOA every 3-5k to make sure the mix is performing ok.

Sounds like your thinking is to use 2oz #132 per quart of sump capacity?

Too bad I added the whole 16oz of #132 before I started this Auto-RX thread. I added 3oz of Auto-RX today, even though I already have 2K miles on the oil and about 1K miles after adding the #132. I'll get a UOA done after about 5K with this mix and see what I get.

And to make it even better, this is in a Toyota 3.4L V-6...
shocked.gif

[ August 01, 2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back