MAF cleaner on IACV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see why not, maf is supposed to be gentler.

Some don't recommend cleaning ICvs though.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Don't see why not, maf is supposed to be gentler.

Some don't recommend cleaning ICvs though.

Agreed and probably safe. I've used carb/intake cleaner before.

Always a good idea to use an IAC cleaner that leaves some sort of barrier/lube shield vs a product (brake clean/MAF cleaner) that leaves it dry.

I don't think there is a specialty IACV cleaner (yet!) A throttle body cleaner is OK on IACV. I would much rather use TB cleaner than anything else on IACV. Incidentally, I just did that yesterday on Camry.

That reminds me; Do MAP sensors need cleaning? I have never come across any procedure on it.

- Vikas

Quote:
Do MAP sensors need cleaning

Only hot wire or hot film MAF sensors need cleaning even then it can be risky even with MAF cleaner e.g. GM units bolted in the top of the throttle body have the durability of a wet noodle.
These need to be removed to clean the TB or they may die shortly thereafter.

Sea Foam Deep Creep might work, cleans and leaves oil residue.
21.gif

Cleaned out my IACV with some harsh cleaner recently, got initially improvements but may go back with deep creep. Then again, I've got a good idea the IACV is bad anyway...

I saw Paul Danner's video and he unstuck a fully stuck IACV (on a Lexus) by removing the electrical connector and moving the shaft by hand. He claimed that there was no need to use any cleaner and un-stucking was good enough for next 100K miles on that Lexus. And he does know his stuff well.

My experience with Deep Creep for cleaning Toyota IACV was NOT good. After cleaning it with Deep Creep, the car would not idle at all until I cleaned it with regular throttle body. This was repeatable on that Toyota for at least two consecutive years. The IACV needs cleaning every year almost like clock work, so I have had to clean it about 4 times so far.

- Vikas

So I just found something online where it was suggested to use engine cleaner (e.g. Seafoam) by pouring directly into the air inlet on the valve with the engine running. Supposedly came from the service manual. Has anyone tried this?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Sea Foam Deep Creep might work, cleans and leaves oil residue.
21.gif

Cleaned out my IACV with some harsh cleaner recently, got initially improvements but may go back with deep creep. Then again, I've got a good idea the IACV is bad anyway...

Sea Foam Deep Creep is what I always use with great results.

Something else that I wanted to mention...what about the rubber gaskets that are sealing the IACV to the TB..if a car is older perhaps a decade old is it a likelyhood that the TB solvent cleaner will damage the old rubber gaskets?

I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX with the 2.2L and I can easily spray tb cleaner directly into the IACV and FIT ports right inside the TB bore. Any opinions on whether or not to do this. After 18 years it has to be very dirty and my car the IACV has a metal mesh screen on it that clogs even easier. It could be removed but I think you chance damaging the bolts and gaskets by removing it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I saw Paul Danner's video and he unstuck a fully stuck IACV (on a Lexus) by removing the electrical connector and moving the shaft by hand. He claimed that there was no need to use any cleaner and un-stucking was good enough for next 100K miles on that Lexus. And he does know his stuff well.

My experience with Deep Creep for cleaning Toyota IACV was NOT good. After cleaning it with Deep Creep, the car would not idle at all until I cleaned it with regular throttle body. This was repeatable on that Toyota for at least two consecutive years. The IACV needs cleaning every year almost like clock work, so I have had to clean it about 4 times so far.

- Vikas

I've actually considered doing that...might go for it.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Something else that I wanted to mention...what about the rubber gaskets that are sealing the IACV to the TB..if a car is older perhaps a decade old is it a likelyhood that the TB solvent cleaner will damage the old rubber gaskets?

It depends on what's in your TB cleaner. Read the ingredients list. I'd be most concerned about acetone or other ketones. A touch of toluene or benzene might actually be good for them. Avoid anything with lutefisk in it. Ideally, keep the exposure time to a minimum. That means spraying with engine running, or clean with engine off, then start engine as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back