Recommended tranny fluid for 25 yr old forklift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, what is the current spec replacement for a Lull telehandler? It has a Funk 4 speed tranny, the data sheet on the machine calls for Allison C3 or MIL-L-2104. I'm confused as to what the current preferred fluid would be. The TO-4/TES-389/Transynd/Dexron alphabet soup makes one's head spin.

This machine is now used very infrequently for personal use only. It will never see a true construction site again most likely, so the cost/performance scale tilts heavily towards cost.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I knew that I have not lost all my marbles yet. But I doubt you are going to find a CD rated HDEO at autozone.

nope

Why don't you get a bucket of cheap ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic oil and go with that?
It's a toss up, but that's definitely what I'd do. Heck, I'd probably go get some universal hydraulic fluid and toss that in there.

Or AW-32 if you think the trans needs the anti-wear additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JRed
Why don't you get a bucket of cheap ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic oil and go with that?
It's a toss up, but that's definitely what I'd do. Heck, I'd probably go get some universal hydraulic fluid and toss that in there.

Or AW-32 if you think the trans needs the anti-wear additives.

+1

The hydraulic system ( 50 gallons - separate from transmission itself) uses AW-46 oil. That's already been changed. Transmission, axles and planetaries still are due.

I'm surprised everyone is seemingly cavalier about the tranny fluid. I'd have expected more concern for something with a torque converter and a fair amount of complexity for a 25,000# machine. Perhaps the Allison C3 is such a decrepit spec that modern waste oil would suffice.

Shell Donax TA 10w-20 meets the Allison C3 spec. Might be the closest to the original spec.

Shell Donax TC 10W. Allison C3/C4 approved and it's very close to the physical specs (cst@100, cst@40).

Amsoil also makes a few fluids that are applicable (specifically a 10W Powershift fluid)

It doesn't have to be Shell Donax, it can be a cheap generic equivalent. It sounds like what you need is a 10w or 10w-20 fluid suitable for a Powershift transmission.

Most Dexron III fluids also appear to say that they meet Allison C3, and you can get Dexron III very cheaply.

Last edited:
Sounds like something like Mobil ATF D/M is the solution then. Specs say:
GM DEXRON® IIIH
Ford MERCON®
Allison C-4
It is also approved for Allison TES-389 (AA-32792008).

Price is very reasonable too, which is fine with me.

I had been eyeballing that fluid before my post but I didn't know if Allison C-4 had a backward compatability problem like Dexron 4 does to Dexron III.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
You can use Shell Rotella T1. Shell states that it meets MIL-L-2014 specs.

What do you know. Even comes in a 10W weight which should be just about perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back