Brake and Fuel Line Replacement Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, my MIL has a 2001 honda accord. She lives in Ohio, so she emailed. Says her mechanic says that her brake lines and fuel lines are all corroded from the winter salt. Im assuming these arent the rubber lines in the wheel well but the lines that run through the car. She also needs a new fuel line as per the mechanic.

Shes got 2 quotes- Indy mechanics. $2200 and $1800. I FELL out of the chair when I read that. What should this job cost her?

i think she needs a third opinion

get an inspection and dont mention anything else.

The fuel lines will probably be available only from a dealership. They're made of stainless steel to factory specs. They aren't cheap. On some vehicles they can be in nasty spots as far as access goes, but I'm thinking not so much on an '01 Accord so labor isn't that bad.

Typically if a car is more than 3 to 5 years old the replacement brake lines will have to be made up by the repair shop. This means that for parts they'll need bulk steel tubing and a few nuts for parts. This is very inexpensive for parts, but bending and flaring the lines, then putting them into place is very time consuming. It can be done more quickly by feeding the line into place like a wire, then flaring the ends in place and tying everything down if one is willing to deal with a reasonable life expectency of 2 to 5 years rather than the 10 to 20 years of a carefully fitted brake line. I've had brake line jobs range between 30 minutes and 23 hours. There's bleeding on top of that (easy on a Honda) and a road test and final inspection as well, but that's minor. Multiply that by typical shop rates of $90 to $140 per hour (that's here but may be different in your locale) and the labor can be very expensive. It all depends on what needs to be replaced on what vehicle and what level of quality is expected. An extra half hour for good cleanup can save you from having a structural failure and junked car just a few years down the road. You can probably get better or cheaper than the default as suits your needs if you discuss the matter with someone at the shop instead of just saying yes or calling for a tow.

You could call them up and ask for an explanation and pictures. You could also get a second opinion. If they're far off (yours don't seem to be) then a third would be in order.

With quotes like that, well, maybe you need to decide if the car is worth keeping. This could be a good time for her to get out of it and into something newer. If you're handy with these things and have a little time on your hands it might also be worth having them do the cheapest possible patch-up job and let her drive it to you for the full repair.

Yonyon- Thanks for the perfect explanation!

I am in no way handy enough to run SS lines throughout the car, bending them as I go... I will recommend that she take it to another place for a 3rd opinion. The car is 11 years old, so sinking $2k into it may not be worth it. If I remember correctly, its got 90+k miles on it. Ill keep you all posted.

I really doubt they are corroded to the point of replacement, my civic has seen every MN winter since it was new, my lines show very little to no signs of corrosion after 15 years...

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Hi guys, my MIL has a 2001 honda accord. She lives in Ohio, so she emailed. Says her mechanic says that her brake lines and fuel lines are all corroded from the winter salt. Im assuming these arent the rubber lines in the wheel well but the lines that run through the car. She also needs a new fuel line as per the mechanic.

Shes got 2 quotes- Indy mechanics. $2200 and $1800. I FELL out of the chair when I read that. What should this job cost her?

Is the Brake pedal going to the floor when she uses the brakes or is she losing fluid? I would also question if there is a smell of gas. Maybe they are coroded, but not eaten through. Sounds like shops trying to take advantage of a lady.

Stainless lines wouldnt rust away like that.They are usually plain steel,coated steel(those green lines) or tin plated.My guess is they are rusted very visibly and should be replaced eventually (especially brake lines),but who ever replaces them until they rust thru???? Thats not normal habits for most owners.

Clearly a second opinion is in order.

Did the two indy's inspect this or did she call for a quote based on assessment of first one?

It is a very expensive job, my sister in law got a free car VW Quantum Syncro with 70k miles in perfect shape but old due to this. Her dad did the work and the parts were still $500-$800.

That sounds like a lot of $$$. I would look for a 2nd opinion as well. If you keep cars a long time. Spray the lines with some sort of oil.e.g Fluid Film. That will prevent this type of problem from occurring.

I've relined a number of cars. With the right tools and about four evenings of work, it can be done for about $50 in parts.

Wow, I can't believe they are that bad either. On my 16 year old Honda - up here in Salt Land, Wisconsin even - they look like new. No rusting at all that I can see. Same goes for my two Toyotas, and even the old BMW is no where near needing to be replaced. And another thing, 90K on a Honda is nothing in terms of miles.

Bottom line I would have someone else look at it. I smell something fishy, maybe not, but no way I would plunk down that kind of money for brake lines until I saw the damage myself.

Same here - our 2003 Accord lines look like they just came off the assembly line. That said, it's not inconceivable they need to be replaced.

Like everyone else, I'd suggest having someone else look.

Thanks for all the advice! My MIL lives in Ohio. I briefly spoke to her today, her brake pedal is "squishy" and as per the mechanic, theres brake fluid all over the brake lines. The car is still drivable though.

I think this is one of those times, someone trying to ripoff a older lady. Shes in small-town Ohio. Ill tell her to take it to Cleveland/Columbus for a 3rd opinion.

Originally Posted By: JC1

Is the Brake pedal going to the floor when she uses the brakes or is she losing fluid? I would also question if there is a smell of gas. Maybe they are coroded, but not eaten through. Sounds like shops trying to take advantage of a lady.
[/quote]

This is kind of a sketchy way to check. If a brake line is almost rusted through it will hold fluid until you stomp on the pedal and then the pressure will blow out. NOT FUN. I've had this happen a couple times, blessedly in a parking lot every time.

If you think the dual independent hydraulics will save you, take note the pedal will sink to about half an inch from the carpet.

The job probably SHOULD get done. At least brakes. Fuel lines, you can wait until they start spraying. You'll smell it. Fuel pressure doesn't suddenly spike at the worst possible moment blowing out the lines. And the fire danger is modest.

As for fuel lines, there are nifty kits now to refit nylon line and splice it all together with either barbed fittings where you heat the nylon in boiling water to soften it, or use a compression fitting connected to your old, cut off steel line.

For a thousand bucks they might be thinking of dropping the tank and doing all new from the sending unit. Pricey! Usually there's enough good line coming off the tank that you can cut it then splice in your new line that runs along the rocker panel/ frame up into the engine compartment.

I've had to do new fuel line a few times now on vehicles 10-18 years old here in the rust belt. The parts are EXPENSIVE. 5/16 nylon fuel line is about a buck a foot. A universal "goes-into" metal fuel line nipple, that I spliced one end onto the nylon line, and the other end clicks into the fuel filter, is $15. The job is full of this sort of "goctha". But still for $100 in parts and an afternoon in labor (4 hours) I was back on the road with all new front brake lines and mostly new underneath fuel lines.

This is a job a redneck independent should do. Look for a shop that has a bunch of junky cars lined up outside.

leaking brake fluid all over and still drive-able? I guess our definition of drive-able is not the same :-(

The 2 brake lines to the rear were replaced on my old beater '97 Civic. They were seeping brake fluid due to rust. I had the job done by a trusted shop. Parts and materials were cheap (around $50), but the labor was $600 (6 hours). Not cheap, but it was necessary. Had to pay because I didn't have time to do it myself and didn't want the car on the road until it was fixed.

The $2200 and $1800 quotes sound very high to me, but maybe the job is much more labor on a 2000 Accord.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
I really doubt they are corroded to the point of replacement, my civic has seen every MN winter since it was new, my lines show very little to no signs of corrosion after 15 years...

My two Chevy S-10s had very rotted brake lines after 12-15 years of Iowa winters. I had to replace most of the lines on both of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back