AMSOIL PI injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Just got three bottles of this for all the cars.

So far I've put one in my car, and one in my wife's. I don't expect much there to be cleaned out of the M5, but my wife's car I'm quite interested in seeing what it does.

Third bottle is for the Expedition, but with the warm weather, it isn't being driven much at this point so I'm not going to bother to put it in until it is going to get some decent use.

Quote:
Third bottle is for the Expedition, but with the warm weather, it isn't being driven much at this point so I'm not going to bother to put it in until it is going to get some decent use.

The Amsoil stuff is good but the conditions your Expedition is seeing now is exactly when i put the stuff in.
I read an article posted by someone a few months back about PEA and it appears it works best just sitting in the injectors or carboned parts that are soaked with it over time.
PEA does not seem to need heat or hot parts to work properly.

It makes sense to me that if the engine runs only once in a while the cleaner laden fuel gets into the injector and has a few days or more to just sit there dissolving contaminates.

Hmmmm, you bring up a good point Trav!
thumbsup2.gif

Perhaps I'll go throw 20 bucks in the tank along with the bottle then.

Originally Posted By: dparm
What's the PEA content on this?

Good question! It isn't on the site, perhaps Pablo knows?

I had decent results throwing a bottle of Gumout Regane into our Fit before we didn't use it for 10 days. I threw it in, we drove to the airport 3 hours away, let it sit for 10 days, and drove back. We saw a nice increase in fuel economy on the way back.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:

The Amsoil stuff is good but the conditions your Expedition is seeing now is exactly when i put the stuff in.
I read an article posted by someone a few months back about PEA and it appears it works best just sitting in the injectors or carboned parts that are soaked with it over time.

It makes sense to me that if the engine runs only once in a while the cleaner laden fuel gets into the injector and has a few days or more to just sit there dissolving contaminates.

^^ABSOLUTELY!!
BUT, he must drive it enough after putting it in the tank to make sure it gets up to said injectors, before letting it sit for a while.
wink.gif

^Indeed, a good C.O.A. there.

PS: I believe Pi has at least 30% PEA, off the top of my head. I'd imagine closer to 40%...

I've used Pi lots of times over the past year or two and as much as i wanna say that it helped with gas mileage a bit, its hard to say because my driving conditions vary so much from tank to tank.

Performance wise... same thing, hard to say because even if it did clean things up and the engine is running better, it's nearly impossible to be able to feel a 2-3hp gain in overall performance unless the car is strapped down to a dyno before / after and even then, as accurate as dyno's are, they're not exactly consistent and its very easy to vary the power numbers +/- 5hp.

That said, i still use it because i choose to believe that it actually does what's written on the bottle and just hope for the best. I usually bump a bottle in about 1,000 miles before my OCI is due to run it through the system and then follow it up with a tank of clean gas to flush everything out before new oil goes in.

Trav-you are right on about the casual use and sitting. I use Techron but your response fits any decent cleaner. I have added and filled up and driven the tank down low on a highway trip and was disapointed at my results. Next time I added and just let MS. Daisy piddle here and there taking several weeks to run the tank out-much better results-no question for me.

There are some fuel system cleaners which specifically warn against leaving in the tank for longer than a week.

Icing was a common problem on some bike engines not just light aircraft.
I had an old ZX10 that iced a lot even with the carb heat kit installed.

That's interesting. It's something I've certainly never come across. I'm not dumb enough to believe that carb icing is due to cold weather (general aviation will verify that). What was the issue with bikes, a lot of WOT operation?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:

OK, I put it, and $50.00 of gas in the truck, drove it around for a bit then parked it
smile.gif

Quote:
What was the issue with bikes, a lot of WOT operation?

Yes. It didn't need cold ambient temps to ice.

Originally Posted By: Overkill
drove it around for a bit then parked it

Thats what i did with my winter vehicles and will do the same for the summer cars when they get put away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
There are some fuel system cleaners which specifically warn against leaving in the tank for longer than a week.
I'm curious which ones
wink.gif

I do recall though, a couple years back, someone posted on these forums a "DIY" science experiment with various additives, and how they reacted with various fuel system parts.....and the STP products actually destroyed (there was no pics.....) the "Fuel Strainer Sock" in said test.....now, I don't know what they meany by destroyed....but perhaps "disintegrated" it? :p

And everyone says STP is garbage
wink.gif

Curious how bad the B-12 CHEMTOOL is.......

I remember reading some guy used Acetone in 1 of those hybrid cars.....I think a Prius it was......and apparantly their fuel tank is lined with a plastic bladder, and the acetone disintegrated the plastic bladder :X

But yea, I never have seen any "warnings" of not keeping the additive in the tank.....but I know this is asked quite often on other forums.....best time to add the additive(s).....in the peak season (say, on a road trip where you'll be filling up constantly), or during the off season when the car will be sitting.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back