Coolant Suggestion for Chrysler Town and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 98 Chrysler Town and Country AWD. It has the notoriously [censored] transmission. The original radiator was a 1 row with 2 transmission coolers. My radiator plastic end tank popped a hole in it so the one I am getting is a 2 row with 2 transmission coolers. Apparently the original wasn't good enough (heated up too much)and Chrysler went with a 1 internal transmission 1 external transmission cooler setup.

I prefer to work with my old setup and make the most of it since it is a bolt in affair.

Any suggestions on which coolant to use and what percent water/coolant in this case. Is there anything that won't destroy the plastic end tanks? I couldn't find an all aluminum radiator or I would have bought that.

Don't want to get too exotic with coolant. If I can't get it locally then I don't want it.

Thanks

Anything come close to it at Walmart? I can't stand the stealer, I really can't. Don't really like driving there either. 50/50 huh?

If I just bite the bullet and overpay for 50/50 premix I am guessing that would contain distilled water?

Thanks

Zerex G-05 at NAPA. Your vehicle most likely has the "ole green". But you can upgrade to G-05. It has some silicates which are needed to protect the engine and will mix fine with the "ole green". I upgraded my 93 Suburban to it.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Prestone, the green stuff, is fine. 50/50 mix.

Prestone no longer makes a "green" antifreeze, nor do they make a conventional silicate antifreeze. The only thing they do make is their "all makes all models" yellow, and its one of the LAST things I'd recommend for a 98 Chrysler product since its a DexClone with 2EHA.

Go with a conventional inorganic (Zerex Original, Peak Blue Bottle, most "store brand" coolants) or else G-05.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Prestone no longer makes a "green" antifreeze, nor do they make a conventional silicate antifreeze. The only thing they do make is their "all makes all models" yellow, and its one of the LAST things I'd recommend for a 98 Chrysler product since its a DexClone with 2EHA.

Go with a conventional inorganic (Zerex Original, Peak Blue Bottle, most "store brand" coolants) or else G-05.

I stand corrected.

Just having spent an hour researching antifreeze types, and finding Prestone not mentioning anything about 2-EHA in its products, I'll be changing brands this year.

Thanks 440.

Guys...back from the grave....head was cracked on this minivan. Gonna put some new coolant in there after replacing the head. Is the Blue Long Life ok? Great deals over at Autozone on it...cheaper than regular in this case so was just curious.

Last edited:
hmmm peak global good, peak extended "bad"? Looks like the sale is on Peak Extended.

I thought those 2 were "deathcool" clones.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
No. Peak Extended or Long Life is not bad. Not even close.

Mopar coolant is best and is what I would use in my Chrysler but you can also get the equivalent called Zerex G-05.

I highly recommend factory coolants. I use Honda Type 2 antifreeze in my parent's Hondas.

Factory coolant may cost a little more, but at least you won't have to worry about it causing damage to water pumps and other metals in the cooling system.

I was just reading through the other comments. If your vehicle origionally came with green antifreeze, you can just buy the regular conventional antifreeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back