Jeep Cherokee Leaking A LOT of oil - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with the last oil change, my Cherokee has really turned into quite the leaker. It is doing an excellent job of marking its territory wherever I park.

I let it idle in the parking lot for about 10 minutes yesterday, and it started to puddle and run down the driveway!

The oil filter housing is leaking. From what I've heard on these 4.0 Cherokees is the motor mount has to come out.

Once the motor mount has to come out, there's a couple of torx-headed bolts going right into the block (go Chrysler!).

There is a seal on the oil filter housing that kind of looks like below. THe middle seal starts to leak
.__ __.
|__|__|

What I'm thinking of doing is degreasing the entire area, wrapping it tightly with duct tape, then using a few zip ties to seal and keep the duct tape tight.

The area doesn't get insanely hot as it's not the engine.

What does everyone think?

Last edited:
Don't bother. Fix it right. Last one I did, I managed to do it with out removing the mount, but that was on a 1995 I think...

Don't bother trying to put a band aid on it. Just fix it correctly.

I didn't have to remove the motor mount on mine (but it is an '88), and mine also did not have a Torx bolt, though some do. Just stop by the Jeep dealership, tell them you need the Oil Filter adaptor o-rings, and watch the parts guys pull them by memory (they've sold a few...)

Even if you have to pull the engine mount, it isn't that hard, (jack up on the oil pan with a large wood block to spread out the load, and only lift high enough to pull the bolts) and if the mounts are due, it makes a good time to replace them anyways (because you will eventually - they all fail down the line...).

Remember, its a Jeep - Just Empty Every Pocket
smile.gif

Sometimes when the old filter is removed...the old gasket sticks to the housing and it will leak. Check that first.

I just replaced the o-rings on my Jeep last weekend, no need to remove the motor mount. All you need is a T-60 Torx bit and a 12mm wrench. Took me about 30 minutes.

IMG_0385.jpg

Last edited:
Took another look at it ... I can't ziptie it. Looks like I'm going to have to try it

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Sometimes when the old filter is removed...the old gasket sticks to the housing and it will leak. Check that first.

I can see the oil visibly pouring out of the filter housing

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I just replaced the o-rings on my Jeep last weekend, no need to remove the motor mount. All you need is a T-60 Torx bit and a 12mm wrench. Took me about 30 minutes.

IMG_0385.jpg

Did you do it with the engine hot/warm?

Where did you get the torx bit? All of the ones I found go on a 1/2'' drive rachet

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Did you do it with the engine hot/warm?

Where did you get the torx bit? All of the ones I found go on a 1/2'' drive rachet

Sorry, I suppose I should have explained that further. Not wanting to destroy one of my good Torx bits, I went to Autozone and picked up a 3/8 drive T60 and tapped the bit out of the socket so it could be used with a wrench.

The engine was cold when I did the work.

T60.jpg

You don't have to drain the oil, but I would. The adapter/housing is higher than the oil pan, so you can keep all that oil. I'd change it just in case some debris comes loose when the gaskets are changed.

Drain the oil into a clean container and re-use it if you're worried.
I'm with the others. Fix everything properly and you only have to do it once.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
Check and make sure the filter is not double gasketed.

Checked and it isn't. Took a look at it while running and I can see it pumping the oil out of the bad seal.

Note to self: This is the downside to running a filter that is much larger than stock.

The time it takes is to change the gasket is going to be less than the time it takes to try using tape and zip ties and dead chickens or whatever enough to convince yourself that doesn't work. It doesn't take long for an nasty leak like that to cost a lot more than a gasket and a socket.

I would recommend you fix the gasket first and reinstall the old filter, check that the leak is fixed, then let it idle for a few minutes before changing the oil and filter. If you're running some fancy oil that's in the over $15/qt. range, well, maybe just run it 100 miles then change the filter and top off.

Well this is odd ... it's stopped leaking oil now???

I think I'm going to end up taking the easy route and have a dealer do it.

Jeeps don't leak, they just mark their territory
smile.gif

Agree - something sounds odd here for a leak to be huge and then mysteriously stop. Sure your oversized filter isn't hanging up on something when the engine moves in its mounts? Speaking of that, how are the engine mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back