'07 F250 6.0L Amsoil HDD 6,077 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know why I changed this oil, just felt the itch, shoulda left it in twice as long or more, hard to do sometimes.

Very stout oil that held up well in the Power Stroke.
07F250Amsoil5w30HDD.jpg

Fantastic oil!
thumbsup2.gif

Some more Moly would be nice, but surely not necessary.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Amazing results! What weight oil is this?

Amsoil HDD 5w30 CI-4+ oil, works great in my 6.0L minus the EGR valve.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Amazing results! What weight oil is this?

Amsoil HDD 5w30 CI-4+ oil, works great in my 6.0L minus the EGR valve.

Wow! Excellent

What a stout additive pack! Excellent engine, excellent oil and excellent report! I would not change a thing except to run at least 10k. That is ridiculous TBN retention. Almost seems like a possible mistake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
I believe the TBN would have been quite a bit lower if EGR were still in place.

Charlie

May be correct, but with the CI-4+ spec comes higher initial TBN too. Either way, I like this oil in my engine.

Please accept my apologies in advance, because this is going to sting a bit.

This UOA is an absolutely perfect example of ....
a total waste of money.

Yup - I said it and I meant it. I'm not trying to be rude, but I am surely intending to be frank, if unfortunately blunt.

Not that the results are bad; they're not. In fact, they are, quite literally, totally "average". Actually, they are "universally average". Almost EXACTLY average. And at a very normal OCI of 6k miles.

So why heap praise upon the oil for doing an "average" job? Some of the comments here are nearly glowing with praise, and yet this UOA is totally "average". There is nothing to indicate it's anything but normal. This synthetic did no better than a large host of dino oils. Allow me to quote some of the stunning comments: "excellent" and "amazing" and "fantastic". Really? Just what is so outstanding about this totally average UOA? (Again - "average" is not a bad thing here. But in no way is this UOA anything but normal; normal being based upon dino performance). Blackstone's oil "universal averages" are based upon their overall market submissions which are heavily based upon conventional oils. So, in effect, when we see "universal averages", we're seeing why typical dino oils can do.

Now, Amsoil didn't do a bad job here; not at all. Amsoil did a fine job of protecting the engine. But the OP did a lousy job of protecting his wallet. Seriously? OCI/UOA at 6k miles with Amsoil? There are plenty of UOA examples of dino 10w-30 HDEO doing every bit as well as this for far less money for 6k miles (and even more). This HDD fluid typically costs 2.5x or 3x more money than typical dino oils, and yet gave the same average results.

Allow me to be clear; I'm not picking on the oil. I'm challenging the OP to reconsider his maintenance plan.

And again, I apologize for being so rude, but I don't see any other way around the facts. If I have offended the OP or others, my sincere regrets for hurting anyone's feelings.

Last edited:
No feelings hurt here dnewton3, in fact I was waiting on your reply and could have almost written it myself. I appreciate your responses to many threads here, and read everyone. I suppose I am just a hardheaded, I like Amsoil and will continue to run it. For this OCI I had intended to do 10K miles, but got the "itch" to change the oil and did so. This was my first run on this oil and I wanted to get it out and analyzed, if nothing else than to satisfy my curiosity. I don't want to sound like a member of the 1%, I'm not, but the difference in price between an Amsoil oil change (PC pricing) and a Rotella, for example, oil change won't even take my family to dinner once; really not enough to sweat considering I only average 2 oil changes a year in this truck.

I'm happy with the results of the analysis, I conclude that I will run this oil again and longer next time.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
.... I'm happy with the results of the analysis, I conclude that I will run this oil again and longer next time.

There is nothing wrong with doing what you want to do. It's what allows us to enjoy the freedoms we have. As long as you recongize that you're running on emotion and not logic, I think anyone, including myself, can accept that. I do many, many things that satisfy my emotions as well. My point is that we should own up to the choice of emotion. Too many people (and I'm not including your example here) try to convince themselves, and others, that synthetics are the "best" for every application; clearly not the case.

The Amsoil did a fine job of protecting your engine. It did no better or worse than many other lesser-cost options. You're happy; that's what matters most. You have every reason to be happy with the results; the engine is in fine shape, and the oil is in great shape. I would predict the OCI could safely be extended out to 15-18k miles with another UOA, and then probably a lot further. In fact, Amsoil will warrant their product to 3x the OEM OCI with no UOA required.

Again, not my intent to offend, but to offer a sense of reality. Many folks chimed in initially about how "fantastic" and "excellent" the results are in your UOA. Yes - every thing looks good, except for the ROI. That's all.

Last edited:
I would be curious to know how many miles on your truck? I also have an 07 powerstroke, but use Amsoil ACD 10w30, it's maybe a tick thinner than the amsoil 5w30, the last time I did an oil analysis was last spring, had 69,000 on truck at the time with similar report. I currently have 81,000 miles, but since have changed the oil twice using the ACD 10w30. I typically run 8,000 OCI.

I guess what I am trying to get at is how the ACD 10w30 compares to the 5w30 HDD in the powerstrokes. I get the ACD for about $50 cheaper, and I think it may do just as good as the HDD.

Thoughts anyone?

If you don't burn any excessive oil, the 10w30 or 30w Amsoil(same product) is the way to go. You might think about buying a 30gal drum if you can get to a warehouse to save shipping.

In the old daze, I ran this oil with the cartridge Amsoil bypass for 25 to 30K driving back and forth each day to work (150 miles round trip) The UOA came back often in the 40w range, but the basic analysis of the oil were good to go!

The 5w30 won't be enough change to warrant the extra $$$$$'s.

You've made an excellent point, and assists in my evaluation of the two specific oils. Fortunately, my 6.0 doesn't burn any excess oil, and has no leaks.

Amsoil touts the Amsoil HDD 5w30 as king of their diesel oils and I just think the ACD 10w30 is just as good or possible provides a greater level of protection, for a considerable less cost.

I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people who buy the HDD 5w30, simply over look or unaware of the ACD 10w30. The ACD has been around much longer, but doesn't have the marketing hype of HDD 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back