auto-rx vs rislone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be ok and would it help if I used Castrol gtx and the small bottle of rislone engine cleaner for 1000k.

a few years back i had a real beater 85 eldorado that smoked a medium amount.....using 20w-50 helped, but this stuff in a black bottle "rislone ring seal" helped a good amount with the smoking.. it reminded me of a straight 30 weight oil, not super thick like motor honey.

Yes but would it be ok and would it help if I used Castrol gtx and the small bottle of rislone engine cleaner for 1000k.

Rick, it would be absolutely fine. You can either use the quart sized bottle substituting for 1 qt. of the GTX and drive 3,4, or 5k mi....whatever your oil change interval. Or you can put in the "Add anytime" 450ml bottle to whatever the current oil level is at and drive until the next oil change...whenever that is.

Can someone comment on what Auto-rx smells like? Rislone smells like "acetone" and is green in color. So I was wondering what auto-rx smells like and what color it is by comparison...

Patman?

Dr. T

I just looked at a bottle of Auto-Rx that I had opened that I use for Maint doses and it is a light brown sugar color when spread out and dark brown in the bottle. The smell is a very faint sweet smell to me. Nothing distinctive that I can place. In fact it is a very pleasant smell. I think this can be attributed to the fact that Auto-Rx uses naturally occurring esters.

[ February 04, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Here's the ingredients of Rislone...
I think everything my engine needs in these categories is already in my oil...I'll save my money the next time

See also MoleKule's Jan 26 posting. And I read all the postings I could until I did them all.
So I'm wondering about an oil change in between extended-drain changes, like putting in plain, 'who cares' type oil and running it under 1000 miles. Would that not act like a flush, get rid of sludge and varnish?
On one hand I have heard the rule of 'don't add anything to the oil' but there is no clear consensus. Some say add nothing, some say add this. I for one can't wait for MoleKule's tests to come back!

The samples for Rislone and CD-2 are being sent in for additive analysis and I am currently
doing some other testing apart from this.

SHould have the component analysis in about 2 weeks.

I am wondering what the "Rislone in used oil" analysis would tell you. If there are lots of metals and contaminants in the oil with Rislone, would that indicate that Risone caused the problem, or simply cleaned them from the engine? If there are no metals or contaminants, would you conclude that Rislone did not clean them out, or that there were none there to start with?

Is there any kind of practical comparative test we could do between Rislone and Auto Rx (using OA or any other approach)? I may be willing to do this if anyone has a practical suggestion.

Posted as a public service. Does anybody read the MSDS ? of these so called engine restore additives.? do you want this blowing out your exhaust where do you think these hydrocarbons go ? Think about it.

addi15. REGULATORY INFORMATION:
SUPERFUND AMENDMENTS AND REAUTHORIZATION ACT OF 1986 (SARA), TITLE III:
Section 311/312 Hazard Categories: Immediate (Acute) and delayed (chronic) Health Hazards.

Section 313: This product contains an organic zinc compound(s) which is reportable under SARA TITLE III AND 40 372. (8% wt. typical, LT 0.1% Zinc)

TOXIC SUBSTANCES CONTROL ACT (TSCA):
All components of this product are listed on the TSCA inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back