auto-rx vs rislone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the auto-rx is most likely a better product and has proven to work very well, but rislone has been around for a long time and from the looks of the website it seems it would work very similar to auto-rx. Does it actually work as advertised?

Jason

I believe Rislone is just a very fine oil, like a gun oil. My sisters deceased husband use to put it in his car, back in the 50's, the motor would get sluded up and he put it in and drove it quite a while to clean it, and he didn't baby it either, he drove it, and it never hurt it. It seems to do a good job of cleaning the motor. But as I said, it just seems to be a very high grade of thin oil, reminded me of a good gun oil, thin, but lubed good.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Patman,

FWIW, Rislone says it can be added to oil and driven. It suggests putting in 500 miles before an oil change for cleaning. How that works, who knows?

I believe that's known as "extrusion honing."
smile.gif

Are you guys talking about their "Add anytime" or "add at oil change" product? The "oil change" product used to look & smell like a kerosene/oil mix. I wouldn't drive with it in anything I cared about. They may have changed it since I used it long ago. I've never touched the "add anytime" product but expect it would be somewhat tamer.

Tough to beat Neutra's sub-$1 cost per cleaning.

David

The site specifically says the stuff in both the 1 quart and add anytime bottle is not a flush and can be run in an engine just like auto-rx. For the 1 quart kind you're supposed to put it in in place of a quart of oil. The forumla has also been updated for less if any viscosity decreases as well.

Jason

Risoline is required by law to post a MSDS on
there product because it uses chemistry designated as hazardous by the US Goverment.
If you think you can put these products in your engine without changing the chemistry of the rest of your oil your wrong. These type oil additives don't blend with your oil, be careful.

To say something smells like its got kerosene/oil mix? I don't believe anyone has a nose that can tell what is in something. I have smelled things that did not smell good, but was. I have seen a lot of products come and go in my 70 years, most of them has long ago gone. But Rislone is still here, as it is a tried and proven product. It works and don't change the viscosity of the oil enough, if it does at all, to matter much. Ii is more than just an additive, it will mix with your oil. To say it won't just shows you don't know anything about the product. I would not hesitate putting it into my Towncar, and I take good care of it.

Here's the ingredients of Rislone's MSDS:
--oil
--compounds of calcium, zinc, sulfur, phosporus, and nitrogen
--copolymer viscosity index improver
http://www.rislone.com/msol127.htm

I think everything my engine needs in these categories is already in my oil...I'll save my money the next time I pass the snake oil counter in my local auto parts store.

Ken

Does Rislone claim to be able to be in the engine for longer time while driving, or only while idling? I'd be very wary of running any engine cleaner that warns you not to drive the car while it's in there, that's a telltale sign that it's a strong solvent that will thin out your oil.

I have a '93 Taurus SHO with the Yamaha V6 motor. I recently changed rod bearings and was appalled by the amount of black oil build up on the underside of the pistons and block.

I am now in the middle of a two bottle treatment of Auto-RX and used a bottle of Rislone and 4 quarts of oil for the in between oil change.

FWIW my oil usage has been cut in half from 500-600 miles per quart to 1200 miles per quart at least for the first 2000k miles.

Notice some of the declared ingredients:

"Severely Hydrotreated 64742-53-6
Light or Heavy or
Napthenic Distillates 64742-52-5 "

So at any one time, you may get heaviy oils or light mineral oils or a mix......

"of Ca, Zn, S, P, N"

This appears to be more of a Gear Lube additive package than an engine lube mix.

"Olefin Copolymer- Viscosity Improver"

OK, since we used the light oil for the wierd additive package, we will add a polymer (a thickener) that will thicken up your oil to at least one more SAE grade, etc.

Also notice on the MSDS, and this is what I have been trying to emphasize, is that the MSDS only lists hazardous substances required by law, and it MAY contain substances that you would not know existed unless you did an NMR.

Bottom Line, it's an oil thickener with some additives of unknown quality and concentration.

[ January 26, 2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

The attack on Rislone (a possible low priced alternative to prodcts being sold on this board) has begun. LOL

As I have posted before, although I have always used top quality synthetic oils (Redline, Synergyn, Mobil 1), I always add Rislone "add anytime" formula about 500 miles or so before oil change.

My oldest vehicles Ford Aerostar 3.0 (whose duties inclucded boat towing) had over 300,000 miles and the engine was still running strong when it was sold (pan was pulled and was clean!).

My other applications are in a 4.O L. Ford V6 AWD Aerostar, 4.6 Ford V-8 as well as my sons 2.0 Zetec Focus. The Aerostar is driven in heavy use. It has nearly 180,000 and running like new.

Whether it is the synthetic oils or help from the Rislone, I am one happy puppy. For $3.00 per use, Rislone is a great product and IMO is more than just simple "snake oil" crud. I know too many people who use it regularly and are happy with it.

Try it out and you will see it cleans SAFELY!

BTW they do update their products as technology improves. Just because it isn't one of the favorite no name "name" products that are talked about on this board, doesn't mean it's junk.

[ January 26, 2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

Tender,
I'm a sceptic. I've tried several of the additive products and usually found that they make no difference. Many of these products have lost cases before the FTC (not Rislone), and I believe that just about everything I need in oil is already present in good oil.

You've been using the best of the best oils. Your engines probably would have been equally clean inside without using Rislone.

Ken

[ January 26, 2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

I believe that just about everything I need in oil is already present in good oil.

I agree with you there.

BTW I live in Southern California, but my son attends Whitworth College in Spokane. What a change of climates, but it is a great school!

[ January 26, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

As I have already stated, I believe in Rislone, and wouldn't hesitate to use it in any of my cars or truck. But I'm not sure the man who uses it every time he changes oil, needs to. Because syntheic oil will keep it pretty clean. I would say once in a while, even with the syntheic it will gets some dirt, or sludge. So I would use it after a fairly long time, only to clean up any that has built up. Other wise no, let the oil do its job. If one is not useing syntheic, then probably more often, but still not every time, maybe every 6 to 8 oil changes. I believe that would keep the engine real clean and long lasting. I think you can over do just about anything. The engine oil is made to do a job and it does a pretty good job. There is times when it can use a little help, but doesn't need it all the time.

I would think that a motor that was that sludged up. That anything that would clean it, could break off sludge big enough to plug the oil pump inlet. Because it has to go somewhere, if it is being cleaned. Of course it wouldn't happen with a lot of cleaners as they wouldn't clean it enough to break anything but you bank acount buying it and doing nothing. I read where they are saying I used one bottle, then two, then three. Who knows how many it would take as it don't clean much. Rislone does clean and gets the job done. If you have a heavy sluded engine, then you probably should take some things apart and clean it by hand, for if its that bad, anything that will clean it is taking a chance of pluging something while its cleaning. Of course the best thing to do is don't let it get that bad. Put in a quart of Rislone at an oil change and leave it in till the next oil change every so often, and you will keep a clean engine.

Hello, I have just joined the forum after visiting for about 8 months. I have also used Rislone occasionally over the years with good results. Even though I change oil frequently, from time to time I have had a lifter to start ticking and the detergent oil is not enough to stop it. Adding Rislone has always worked to eliminate the lifter tick. However, I would not try to use it to clean a sludged engine for it is too aggressive a cleaner. My son recently purchased a 1995 Honda Accord with 140,000 miles. I was surprised to find the engine sludged even though it had a sticker on the windshied that indicated the oli had been changed 4000 miles and 8 mo. ago. I used Shell formula 10w30 motor oil with a Motorcraft oil filter and it removed 95% of the sludge in 3000 miles. The Shell motor oil has very good detergency.

Just a couple questions for you guys...

I've read the labels for both the "engine clean" and "engine clean concentrate". Both say "add any time" or "at oil change". This would stipulate to use the product at an oil change and then have it in there for the full 5k mi. interval. Is this correct? Who came up with the "use it for 500 mi." instruction?

How different is this product compared to CD-2?

Secondly, to AlJames...couldn't figure it out from your post, but did you/your son use Rislone on the Honda or did just the Shell perform 95% of the sludge removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back