Long Term Effect of gasoline additives (Lucas, Techron)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if any studies been done to see what the long term effects of gasoline additives might be? I'm specifically thinking of Techron and Lucas UCL. One is primarily for injector cleaning, while the Lucas seems to primarily lubricate the moving parts in valve/upper piston area. But what effect is there to the catalytic converter; what about the ring/skirt area? I've seen Bob's video regarding the Lucas UCL, and it did leave deposits, although minor. I'm looking for scientific results, not just "feel good" I'm doing my engine good by these additives!

I can't offer any scientific results or proof. I've used Chevron super 93 octane gas exclusively for quite a while now. They claim it has Techron in it, & I can only offer that in my recent oil analysis, Terry commented twice about how clean my fuel was burning, w/no traces in the oil. The Techron bottled fuel additive would only be used every 1 or 2 oil changes, I'd think. No idea about the Lucas. Don't forget Neutra from Schaeffer!
wink.gif

I've been using Lucas UCL and just finishing 1st tank with Redline S1-1. Lucas I like! Trialling a new product soon that is from the US as well, will report on that as well. Lucas made beter economy and I can feel engine smoother.

That's why I don't often add stuff to my gas. It's been my habit to only add injector cleaner
once per year. I think gas from the pumps is a lot less dirty now than it used to be.

Not a true scientific study but on my 92 Camry I have added a ounce or so of the Amsoil concentrate PI since the car was new and at every tankful. I keep it in the trunk and just a habit to add before filling up. So, car is 10 years old and 147000. Harmful, guess I would say no, useful, don't know. Have not had any injector or fuel system problems since new, change fuel filter around 30000 miles. I do the same on two other cars and on two others a shot of techron and now Schaeffers Neutra once in a while.

I've just started to use the Lucas UCL. While they do advertise that it will clean, it is not solvent based. I have noticed about 1MPG (or 7.5%)increase in gas mileage over 4 tanks.

There was another thread here talking about fuel additives. In it was a link (which is now dead) that showed several additives which ate up the nylon sock in the gas tank. The Redline was in the top 3 out of 10 which did this.

Here is the other thread:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000158

Only anecdotal here, but mysister's '01 Camry w/9k miles was running a littlre rough by her account. I put in a bottle of Regane combustion chamber cleaner by Gumout and she marveled at the difference. There is really no need to send the check out right away Johnny!
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back