Cleaners and Diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which cleaner would be better for a 174000 mile 7.3 Ford Diesel? 131 or RX?

Currently uses about 1 quart of oil every 3-400 miles, there is a lot of idling during use.

Guidance on procedure given high crankcase capacity?

Wimpy01,
I use the Auto-Rx in both of my PSD's. No problems and good oil analysis results on both using Delo 400 in one and Schaeffer's in the other.
Larry, a poster on this site used Auto-Rx in his PSD and had 187K miles on it when he did. He changed the FF 500 miles prior to putting in the Auto-Rx and added 2 bottles. (15 Qt. capacity). He then ran it the 500 miles, changed oil and FF and went with Amsoil oil and an Amsoil bypass filter. He was really impressed with the results of the Auto-Rx cleaning.
You can e-mail Auto-Rx and they will give you more specifics. Great Customer service.

wimpy01,
One thing that you might check on your engine is the CCV system and make sure it is clean. If it is plugged up it will cause pressure in the crankcase and cause excessive blow-by.

I routed mine from the turbo intake pipe, using heater hose, to underneath the rear of the truck. Then I used a 5/16" heater nipple block-off on the intake where I remove the CCV hose.

Another item, with excessive idling you will get cylinder wash down. You need to install an AIC (automatic idle controller) and get the RPM above 1200. Cut a mop handle and wedge it between the seat and accel. pedal if you don't want to spend on an AIC.

I have a high idle device on my Cummins that gives it a 1500 rpm idle. Its a great feature for warming up a diesel in the winter. I have never had bad oil analysis #'s from this practice and have never had fuel in the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back