Best ATF for Aisin Warner transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little confused.

Amsoil says:

Quote:

2006 VOLVO XC90 4.4L 8-cyl Engine Code B8444S
Automatic Transmission,AWF21......TIV [2]
Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)
[2] Use JWS3309, Volvo P/N 1161 540

As for the OP Amsoil only shows:

Quote:
2005 CHEVROLET TRUCKS EQUINOX 3.4L 6-cyl Engine Code [F]
Automatic Transmission,AF33......TIV [3]
[3] Use GM part no. 88900925, or equivalent.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm a little confused.

Amsoil says:

Quote:

2006 VOLVO XC90 4.4L 8-cyl Engine Code B8444S
Automatic Transmission,AWF21......TIV [2]
[2] Use JWS3309, Volvo P/N 1161 540

As for the OP Amsoil only shows:

Quote:
2005 CHEVROLET TRUCKS EQUINOX 3.4L 6-cyl Engine Code [F]
Automatic Transmission,AF33......TIV [3]
[3] Use GM part no. 88900925, or equivalent.

Pablo, look up the Saab 9-3 SS V6 from 06'-09'. That has the 6 speed. The 4 cyl. has the 5 speed with a similar statement.

Originally Posted By: dmk
Originally Posted By: wiswind
Asin Warner AWTF-80 SC aka AWF21 and other numbers
This is a 6 speed Transverse mounted AT....not to be confused with the 5 speed that DOES specify the 3309 fluid.

A coworker just went through this for his 2006 Volvo XC90 with the 6 speed auto.
FIRST, he found that there was a TSB for a re-program of the computer.....which helped his shifting issue.

Then, he tried the 3309 fluid.....was not happy with the shifting.

The Amsoil website refers him to VOLVO fluid, though it does mention JWS-3309.

The Mobil website states that their 3309 fluid DOES meet Toyota T-IV specification and is for his vehicle with the 5 speed, but does NOT list the 6 speed.

The fluid mentioned for the AWF21 transmission is a "AW-1" fluid.
This is a "mineral base" fluid.
I believe that the Mobil ATF 3309 is also "Mineral base" fluid.

I read some posts where people state that they had success with the 3309 fluid in this application (same tranny, different vehicle), but it is NOT what is specified for this application.

I'm also trusting Mobil and Amsoil for not listing this application for their fluids.

He had not yet put the Volvo fluid in, so I don't have any follow-up on that.
I'm just trying to be clear on the OEM specification....which I stress as the starting point in seeking a fluid.
Folks success with using various brands/fluids for the T-IV and 3309 specified applications may not be applicable to this application (I'm not one to state either way...only that I did not see a manufacturers statement or the several fluids that I looked up listing this application for their fluid)

Exactly right. Pablo note here as well. Your Amsoil specifically says only mineral so no app for them.

The Aisin 5 speed is JS3309, or some people have used the T-IV with success but I'm skeptical.

And I also have the Aisin 6 speed TF 80, AF20, AF21, etc. in my Saab. The requirement is an "AW 1" spec. Seems only the Saab oem fluid meets that spec and that Saab fluid is different from the 5 speed fluid.
Pretty strange scenario with this 6 speed. These Aisin 6 speeds had valve body issues their first couple of years--unfortunately I know this first hand

So in the Volvo use on the oem fluid.
The AF21 in my Fusion has T-IV fluid stamped right on the dipstick. We've been over this several times in several threads.

I was more confused about the process of changing the fluid given the near impossible location of the fill tube (and subsequent damage that can occur from doing it wrong.)

I currently have Mobil 3309 (a t-iv equivalent) and the shifting still stinks. I know what should be going in there it is more trying to find the best to go in there. I am between amsoil or valvoline maxlife (both with a bottle of lubeguard.)

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Exactly right. Pablo note here as well. Your Amsoil specifically says only mineral so no app for them.

The Aisin 5 speed is JS3309, or some people have used the T-IV with success but I'm skeptical.

And I also have the Aisin 6 speed TF 80, AF20, AF21, etc. in my Saab. The requirement is an "AW 1" spec. Seems only the Saab oem fluid meets that spec and that Saab fluid is different from the 5 speed fluid.
Pretty strange scenario with this 6 speed. These Aisin 6 speeds had valve body issues their first couple of years--unfortunately I know this first hand

So in the Volvo use on the oem fluid.
The AF21 in my Fusion has T-IV fluid stamped right on the dipstick. We've been over this several times in several threads.

I don't think we have.

First off there isn't a dipstick on the TF 80 so I can't imagine there would be on the AF21. If it is you might have something else.
The 5 speed Aisin in the Saabs to say T-IV fluid yet the spec is JS3309. I think Aisin just made millions of these dipsticks and didn't change the specs.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Mobil 3309 (a t-iv equivalent)
bingo.

I have an AW F21 6 speed trans in my Fusion. The 3.0L V6's got 'em. We have dipsticks in the trans. It IS stamped T-IV.

I don't think we have.

First off there isn't a dipstick on the TF 80 so I can't imagine there would be on the AF21. If it is you might have something else.
The 5 speed Aisin in the Saabs to say T-IV fluid yet the spec is JS3309. I think Aisin just made millions of these dipsticks and didn't change the specs.

If you look on the mobil website and check out the specs it is easy to see that T IV and 3309 are one in the same.

Mobile supplies the 3309 spec ATF to ALL of the auto manufacturers using the Aisin transmissions that require it, regardless of who's name is on the outside of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Mobile supplies the 3309 spec ATF to ALL of the auto manufacturers using the Aisin transmissions that require it, regardless of who's name is on the outside of the bottle.

How do you figure that?

The Saab 3309 fluid is made in Germany. Does Mobil make it there then ship to the states?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Do it yourself via cooler line method and you can afford Amsoil ATF. Its easier than you think. And no additives needed. Your mechanic has to pay for his flush machine. Your "flush machine" is 3 feet of clear 3/8" tubing, under $1.00 at Home depot. And reusable. Look on YouTube.

Did 3 flush and fills the same way with my 07 Fusion which uses the Aisin tranny . Amsoil works great in it
smile.gif

Toyota T-IV = JWS3309. Period.

This is well documented, and the written proof I have readily on hand is the owner's manual of my van, a Toyota with an AW tranny.

Mobil is by far the largest producer of this spec fluid. The only other one I am aware of is Idemitsu.

Originally Posted By: wog
manufacturer probably does not want diy changing fluid,be careful .warranty problem with non spec fluid?

I think you are right with the non-DIY method. My car is 7 years old and has almost 100k on it, warranty wont be an issue. I am more concerned about putting in the best possible fluid for my car, does not have to be spec necessarily (example, Valvoline maxlife isnt "spec" for anything just recommended but people rave about the results maxlife has on transmissions.)

Bgallagher, I had a similar experience in my '05 Volvo S60. First did a drain-and-fill with the 3309 fluid. Didn't like the shift feel at all. Then did a drain-and-fill with the Amsoil ATF. World of difference. It was very smooth. I did a few more drain-and-fills with Amsoil for around 60k when we sold the car. Currently running the Amsoil in my Tundra. I'm thinking about putting it in the Civic as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back