Pennzoil Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this oil at walmart tonight. It is not labelled as Pennzoil Gold but rather as "Pennzoil Synthetic Blend". Meets Dexos 1 spec. I couldnt find a price of it though , is this a new oil or simply Pennzoil Gold relabeled or has Pennzoil given up on Gold?

I think they just changed the bottle on a lackluster seller when it was reformulated for SN/dexos

Last edited:
This gets me very excited. I choose my oil on specs rather than base oil. Well specs and price is more accurate.

I read a while back that the "gold" was a dexos approved oil, but found it was cheaper to buy PP in Wal-mart 5qt containers. I'm hoping this stuff is cheaper than PP and that they also bring the dexos approved quaker state blend as well.

It would be nice to be able to find Quaker State Enhanced Durability somewhere.

It was at the walmart in fairfax. It wasnt "Gold" but was labelled as pennzoil synthetic blend. Clearly had Dexos 1 spec on the front label.

i found six quarts at my local walmart its 4.57 a quart no five quart jugs only pennzoil not the quaker state blend
also states it uses over 50% synthetic base stock on the bottle

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thax

We have it up here. Bright red bottle. Strange thing is, there's no starburst OR donut on it ANYWHERE. This was for all formulations...5w20, 5w30, 10w30...

That was enough for me to put it back on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: irocurpony
i found six quarts at my local walmart its 4.57 a quart no five quart jugs only pennzoil not the quaker state blend
also states it uses over 50% synthetic base stock on the bottle
Same here in Wyoming

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zerosoma

We have it up here. Bright red bottle. Strange thing is, there's no starburst OR donut on it ANYWHERE. This was for all formulations...5w20, 5w30, 10w30...

Duh, the whole idea of the oil is to have a higher level of zinc than allowed by API.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Originally Posted By: zerosoma

Duh, the whole idea of the oil is to have a higher level of zinc than allowed by API.
I believe he is talking about the new Quaker State Defy , that oil is SL rated due to its high zddp content. Both Pennzoil and Quaker State Synthetic Blend oils are API SN and ILSAC GF-5 as well as Dexos 1 approved.

This is pretty interesting - SOPUS is getting into the 'syn blend Dexos-1' market, trying to offer a cheaper Dex-1 option, to compete with the XOM-blended Dexos-1 syn-blend.

I'm really suprised SOPUS is competing in this market, but they haven't made a syn-blend 0W-20 oil to get into the low-cost 0W-20 market for Honda and Toyota vehicles.

It's $3.57 @ my local WM. Pennzoil's website has this listed separately than the Gold, & each list different specs. The Gold lists a few different Ford specs & the SB has the GM dexos 1 spec & they say it is for all GM vehicles, so they are not the same. The SB makes a point about having at least 50% synthetic base stock & seems it may be a higher % than the Gold. I think it is a newer & probably better oil than the Gold label stuff.

$3.57 a quart for a %50 or better synthetic base stock compared to the $7.17 a quart Platinum seems like a great deal imo! I'd LOVE to see a VOA of the synthetic blend, & Gold for that matter!

+1

Originally Posted By: thereed
This gets me very excited. I choose my oil on specs rather than base oil. Well specs and price is more accurate.

I read a while back that the "gold" was a dexos approved oil, but found it was cheaper to buy PP in Wal-mart 5qt containers. I'm hoping this stuff is cheaper than PP and that they also bring the dexos approved quaker state blend as well.

In my area $4.57 qt or $22.85 for 5 quarts. With QSUD about $2 less expensive at Walmart I don't see how SOPUS expects to sell a blend for more money than a full synthetic. Makes me wonder if they will drop dexos from QSUD in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back