Anybody here using AMSOIL 20W-50 in their V-Twin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run Rotella T6 5-40 in my 04 Harley Ultra 95ci. The top end is quieter that with any other oil I have used.(Mobile 1, Amsoil,Dino 20-50)Oil temp is the same as Mobile or Amsoil. I change at 5k and the two samples I sent in showed better than normal wear. I could go longer on oil changes.

I run Redline 20W-50 in my Harley RKC 103 and the motor sounds a lot less 'sewing machine' than it did with the Mobil 20W-50.

I also use the Redline MTL in the Primary and finding neutral and shifting is very smooth.

Redline Shockproof heavy in the tranny and there too, the shifting is smooth and the 'clunk' is minimized.

I used to run Amsoil in my Harley I had good results with it. But I run Valvoline Vr1 now I have run lots of oils in the bike they all worked..

I use Amzoil 20-50 MC oil in my Harley V-Rod and have since the first oil change. I use Castrol GTX 20-50 in my Kawasaki Vulcan with good results.?????????????????????

1. 75W-110 Gear oil is virtually the same viscosity as 20W-50 motor oil. Harley-Devidson Formula+ (the recommended transmission/primary chaincase lubricant) has a nearly identical viscosity.... without the temperature range.

2. Harley Davidson Formula+ is basically a mineral oil with little or no additives. Many Manual Transmission Lubes (MTLs)have a similar recipe except that MTLs are in the 20 weight range. Redline makes a "heavy" MTL that's in the 30 weight range.

3. The contents of the primary chaincase will have more effect on the shifting "feel" than what goes into the transmission. This has to do with the rate of clutch spin-down.

Amsoil MCV 20W-50 is absolutely fine for all three holes. Or, Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50. They're virtually identical. Many like this setup because of the convenience factor.

We like Mobil Delvac 15W-40 in the primary chaincases for the best shift "feel". Of course - you could use Rotella or... or.... or....

Run what ya want in the transmissions. Most anything will give excellent service and it doesn't need to be gear oil. In fact, doesn't Amsoil recomment MCV and then gear oil as their SECOND choice for Harley transmissions?

.... but don't run gear oil in the primary chaincase. GL-5 lubes are sometimes not kind to yellow metals (copper, brass, etc) and your stator is located behind the compensating sprocket at the front of the chaincase (copper windings).

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program.

Quote:
Run what ya want in the transmissions. Most anything will give excellent service and it doesn't need to be gear oil. In fact, doesn't Amsoil recomment MCV and then gear oil as their SECOND choice for Harley transmissions?

Amsoil recommends MCV in all three holes to keep in line with Harley recommendations. There was a paper or under FAQ's on Amsoil website a while back..:)

There are many motorcycle manufacturers that don't make oil, either. This is why I often feel they use a compromise as well, after all, they DO need you to come back to buy another bike....

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
When Amsoil makes a bike or a transmission then I'll listen to their recommendations.Until then, they just sell overpriced oil like all the others.,,

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
i agree
lol.gif

When Amsoil makes a bike or a transmission then I'll listen to their recommendations.Until then, they just sell overpriced oil like all the others.,,

So what bike manufacturer actually MAKES their own oil?

None that I know of. And I've never heard one spec an oil for something they DIDN't make, for that matter.,,

Right. But we see this all the time with car manufacturers. Look at Mobil 1 0w40. Factory fill in HOW MANY cars? covering HOW MANY brands?

But Mobil doesn't make cars
wink.gif

None that I know of. And I've never heard one spec an oil for something they DIDN't make, for that matter.,,

For the second time in the last 2 days - This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'm not trying to be cynical, just trying to decode your hidden message. I know it's in there somewhere.

Funny uoa's don't have a test for being overpriced. Although it should be obvious to anyone who uses the oil.,,
OK
confused.gif

Funny uoa's don't have a test for being overpriced. Although it should be obvious to anyone who uses the oil.,,

Wow..... 3 for 3. Shall we shoot for 4????

That is silly, unless you are paying the bills people can spend their money how they please.

What may be overpriced to you may not be to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back