Mobil 1 vs. Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on grade. For 5w-30, they're functionally identical thanks to both of them meeting dexos1. I'd run the Pennz. Plat. since it's usually a few dollars cheaper.

Oh boy...

35.gif

the usual responce-----> buy the one you can get cheaper, with these two it would be PP in my area by a few dollars. Both top shelf products.

they are both VERY good. you will find proponents of each here. I used to be a big M1 user, but now normally use Plat. (in my non-amsoil cars) you looking for normal driving? towing? really long OCI's?

Quaker State Ultimate Durability - usually a little cheaper than Pennzoil Platinum and a LOT cheaper than Mobil 1 (around here) and essentially the same thing in a clear bottle.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Quaker State Ultimate Durability - usually a little cheaper than Pennzoil Platinum and a LOT cheaper than Mobil 1 (around here) and essentially the same thing in a clear bottle.

I believe the 0w20 is the same between QSUD & PP but other grades are different.

So long as PP and M1 have the approvals (or meet the specs if you're trusting of what they tell you when they don't have an "approval"), then they are two of the best everyday synthetics out there and you're unlikely to see any difference between one or the other.

If you need a certain spec eg MB229.5 or and extended drain with M1 EP, then you've got to choose more carefully.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Both are fine oils but M1 has the superior base stock.

Since when?

Either would be fine in the correct grade in your vehicles.

Application is 2010 Nissan XTerra, Normal OCI, normal drive conditions, occasional towing. Grade is 5W30 Canadian Tire has PP on for half the price of M1. Been using M1 to date but when PP is on for $25 its pretty hard to beat. Don't think its going to make any difference in that engine anyways. Just checking to see what people thought

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Originally Posted By: tig1
Both are fine oils but M1 has the superior base stock.

Tig is one of the people I listen to.

I listen to tig through my eyes

Originally Posted By: speedypete212
Application is 2010 Nissan XTerra, Normal OCI, normal drive conditions, occasional towing. Grade is 5W30 Canadian Tire has PP on for half the price of M1. Been using M1 to date but when PP is on for $25 its pretty hard to beat. Don't think its going to make any difference in that engine anyways. Just checking to see what people thought

Thanks for the info. Yes you PP for half the price of M-1 your engine will never know the difference from a wear or cleanness stand point. Use that extra money for some Techron or another treat for your car.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Thanks for the info. Yes you PP for half the price of M-1 your engine will never know the difference from a wear or cleanness stand point. Use that extra money for some Techron or another treat for your car.

Dave that PP is 1/2 the price of M1 in your area says a lot about regional pricing diferences. In the Charlotte area, the price of PP is often the same as M1 and rarely more than 10% cheaper. As an economist, I would be really interested to learn why the regional differences are so great. However, it is for sure that neither company would tell you (especially not XOM).

At half the price, I wouldn't hesitate for a second about using PP. It's a very good oil and should serve your needs well. It has great starting TBN so long drains with this oil are also possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back