First pistol recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
9x18 MAK is a good round

Nothing wrong with it but it's a TERRIBLE recommendation for a "First pistol".

Why? you can get a cz82 plus 500 rounds of ammo for under 300 bucks. Graf and Sons has 9x18 FMJ for 9 bucks a box with free shipping. cheaper than any 9mm Ive seen lately..

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford

Why? you can get a cz82 plus 500 rounds of ammo for under 300 bucks. Graf and Sons has 9x18 FMJ for 9 bucks a box with free shipping. cheaper than any 9mm Ive seen lately..

That is a great price on 9x18! I know the pistols are cheap. But I was mainly thinking finding the ammo locally. If that's not a problem, then have at it.

BTW the same set-up is on my bucket list!

The brick and mortar prices are about 20-50% more... Needless to say, I only buy my ammunition online.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Hey all,

I am hoping you can recommend a pistol to a newbie. I have never owned a pistol, however have shot a few semi-automatics.

I am specifically interested in a semi-automatic. It will be used for home defense and target. I definitely want a full-size pistol as smaller pistols feel cramped in my hand and I want something that will help me be more accurate.

I know one of the primary questions some will have is what caliber? This is also where I am looking for suggestions. What is a good caliber for a new pistol owner? My NRA instructor suggested a .22 if I am on a budget or a .40 if money is not as much as a concern.

My fear is buying a .22, learning how to shoot accurately and then wishing I got a larger caliber. However, I am also not the type who would go to a range and fire off a box in 15 minutes. I'd shoot slowly and accuracy would be my main focus. I'd spend a lot of time dry-firing before wasting money learning. I am not interested in a glock.

I appreciate any suggestions.

edit: Budget ~$500

You know I am still not getting the fascination with the 40 S&W cartridge from everyone? Please enlighten me.

Originally Posted By: troyh

You know I am still not getting the fascination with the 40 S&W cartridge from everyone? Please enlighten me.

Me too.

I can really only think of one or two pluses..

I have no .40 S&W guns, just an extra .40S&W barrel for my Sig P229.

1) It's a weak 10mm. Original intent. Fine.
2) It's close to small enough, that some gun like a S&W Shield in .40S&W carrying six would be a good small carry gun, but practicing would be too much for many folks.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Me too.

I can really only think of one or two pluses..

I have no .40 S&W guns, just an extra .40S&W barrel for my Sig P229.

1) It's a weak 10mm. Original intent. Fine.
2) It's close to small enough, that some gun like a S&W Shield in .40S&W carrying six would be a good small carry gun, but practicing would be too much for many folks.

What are the pluses you are thinking of.

I have shot one, seems snappy to me. I would much rather shoot my 45 than a 40, and much better as well.

If I had the desire to get a 40, I'd just get a 9mm.

What are the pluses you are thinking of.

I have shot one, seems snappy to me. I would much rather shoot my 45 than a 40, and much better as well.

If I had the desire to get a 40, I'd just get a 9mm.

See 1) and 2) above. It's original intended purpose (downsized 10mm) and more power than a 9mm in the same (or very close) sized package.

I agree, for whatever reason Glock G27 .40 S&W Subcompact is about the worst firing and handling handgun ever devised.

Pluses of 40 S&W: Same, or nearly same energy levels as 45 ACP, bigger bullet dia than 9 mm, shorter case that allows chambering in smaller frame guns. Very accurate, when loaded right. Wide bullet range, from 125gr to 200 gr.
Different guns fit different people. I am more accurate with a G27 than a full-size G22.

Recoil does not bother me. My all -time favorite caliber is 454 Casull. I loved my Raging Bull.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Pluses of 40 S&W: Same, or nearly same energy levels as 45 ACP, bigger bullet dia than 9 mm, shorter case that allows chambering in smaller frame guns. Very accurate, when loaded right. Wide bullet range, from 125gr to 200 gr.
Different guns fit different people. I am more accurate with a G27 than a full-size G22.

Recoil does not bother me. My all -time favorite caliber is 454 Casull. I loved my Raging Bull.

Agree on the 454 Casull. I have 2 revolvers, a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan and a Freedom Arms revolver I rarely shoot that was given to me by my grandfather.

That little Alaskan gives the same reaction when we all go shooting. It recoils so bad that we end up laughing.

Have not shot the 460 or 500 S&W's, but would like to.

Recoil doesn't bother me either. I shot a S&W .500. It frankly was not that bad - it's a large revolver and behaves predictably and well. The Glock 27 I shot had those stupid Glock slipslab stock grips. The harder you squeeze, the more it slipped out of your hand like a lubed cucumber - terrible experience. My Glock 20 has Falcon grips. Nice.

I have two .40s, both Springfield XDs. Most other guns that I have shot in .40 are not fun to shoot and have a lot of snap. I don't plan on getting anymore .40s and was even thinking about selling my XDs awhile back.

Sticking with 9 or .45 from now on.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I have two .40s, both Springfield XDs. Most other guns that I have shot in .40 are not fun to shoot and have a lot of snap. I don't plan on getting anymore .40s and was even thinking about selling my XDs awhile back.

Sticking with 9 or .45 from now on.

+1. I had an XD and sold it. Outgrew it I guess. I could not shoot it very accurately. I suppose shot well enough for intended purpose.

I then caught the 1911 bug and bought a Les Baer and a few months later an Ed Brown for carry. It wasn't until then that I actually learned how good of shot I truly was. Magnificent weapons.

To me the absolute best pistol to learn the basics on is a Ruger 22 revolver. My son is learning on this. Prior to that I bought him a Sig 22 semiauto for his birthday. Biggest POS I ever had, jammed every magazine.. literally. A pistol that jams all the time no use to anyone and very dangerous having to clear all the time.

I've got a bunch of .40's, it's an OK caliber, I guess. I'd like to have a 10mm to compare it with.

All guns seem to have a snappy recoil to me. I don't find anything unusual about .40 S&W in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back