Traded in the Fusion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
on a 2012 Kia Optima SX Turbo! It was hard for me to trade in the Fusion, I really do love that car.

My reasons for trading it in were concerns of longtime longevity. The car started experience the dreaded transmission 2-3 "flare" AND the waterfall noise from the dash came back on strong. Both of these issues are relatively common on the Fusion. Mileage at trade in was 44,205. Ford attempted to fix both issues to no avail. As far as my research goes, they don't seem to have a permanent fix either.

A year ago, I wouldn't have considered Kia(boring I thought). However, the Optima is awesome; with good looks, quality, 274hp, 100K warranty, and 22/34mpg, it wasn't a hard choice.

I will miss the Fusion, it was a great riding car and I loved the front end styling on it, as well as the color. We got a great deal on the Optima with a 10yr/100K bumper to bumper warranty. The car runs very strong and is definately optioned better than the Fusion.

This is the only pic for now; out with the old and in with the new:

IMG_20120430_141903.jpg

Both cars look nice. congradulations.. Glad you didnt buy the Turbo Dodge Caliber. Buddys had some trouble out of his. Enuff to turn me off to it.

A turbo engine with that specific output isn't what I'd buy if longevity was a concern.

To put it in perspective, my 135i makes 100 HP/L, yours is 137 HP/L. 37% greater specific output is really awesome, considering that 100 is fairly high. But I have my doubts on longevity, especially with the brand being associated with folks who don't maintain their cars (not you).

But enough poo-pooing, I've seen a few of these and really like the lines. I assume it is AT, but is there an MT version you can get?

34 mpg is really good, can't wait for more reviews as you get some miles on it!

Good luck on a nice looking awesome car!

I think its funny that a person looking for longevity would look toward Kia. I realize they are miles better than ever before but seems to me if longevity is a concern I would look at a Malibu or accord or even Camry. Call me crazy but all of those are tried and true. But I wish you luck!!

The first time I had an Optima SX turbo in my shop, other clients kept getting out of their car to look at it.

We had a Rolls Royce, a Lamborghini, SL-AMG, etc... but everyone checks out the Kia.

"This is a Kia?"

"Are they all like this?"

"How much are these cars?"

It was very well received.

Thanks for the comments, JHZR2; I'd be lying if I didn't want more power than the Fusion had, but I can see your point.

The Optima is the same as the Sonata underneath mostly, and Hyundai has a good reputation.

BUT - Behind the looks, it's still a Kia. They had to grab the 'eyeballs' and keep them there long enough to build enough interest to get someone in the driver seat.

We testdrove one a month or so back when they had the $25 test drive offer, the same model as yours. Hardest riding, roughest car I think I've ever been in. I sat there for 5 minutes and pointed out problems and poor fit to the salesman.

SHould have just traded towards the 2013 Fusion.

Last edited:
Nice looking car Mike!

Those are selling well in my area. My closest Kia dealer is a Subaru/Kia dealership (where I bought my Legacy).

They probably sell 3 Kias for every 1 Suby.

How's the insurance compared to the Fusion given the Kia is a turbo?

You probably did well on the trade-in given the crazy cost of used cars these days.

Joel

I think the Kia is a better looking car than the Sonata sibling.

I find it interesting that the Ford has so many issues?! I often wonder if its simply a matter of more people (the internet gives EVERYONE a voice, after all) getting their complaints heard or if there are truly a high number of issues.
The actual incident data would be interesting.

Food for thought.

congratulations! I imagine there is quite a difference in the handling, as well as quite a few extra ponies under the hood!

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Jusy wait when it comes time for trade in or resale! Thats where these vehicles fail!

Not any worse than the Fusion! A similarly equipped/same mileage '10 Sonata(prior to new model), books for $400 more than our Fusion.

I think the past two generations of Kias and Hyundais have gone a long way toward convincing people on the fence they're legitimate brands, and not just a low cost alternative to the mainstream players.

I'd guess a big reason they're becoming better cars is because they're not all that inexpensive anymore. Used to be a similarly optioned Kia or Hyundai would undercut the competition by 2-3 grand. I just "built my own" Optima SX with one option package and it rang up at $30k. Same money as a comparable Fusion, Malibu, Camry, Passat, and other mid-sizers.

I personally can't get the cheap, 2nd tier image they deservingly had years ago out of my mind. I know it's not fair and is like holding a grudge against Chevy years later because of the Chevette. Maybe I'll get over it someday.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Jusy wait when it comes time for trade in or resale! Thats where these vehicles fail!

Not any worse than the Fusion! A similarly equipped/same mileage '10 Sonata(prior to new model), books for $400 more than our Fusion.
You'd find far more people interested in your Fusion than that Sonata though.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
I think the Kia is a better looking car than the Sonata sibling.
+1
If I was looking now, the Optima would be on my list ahead of the Sonata.

Very nice Mike!

Enjoy the new ride and be safe. Keep us informed with your findings.

Just got back from Florida and was BLOWN away from all the Kias and Hyundais around there. More than I've ever seen in any other state.

Went through 3 cars before I got something to rent. Ended up with a new Impala that I'll write up soon.

Take care, Bill

PS: Love the color! I'd pick the Kia over the Hyundai too!

I agree - The Optima looks about 10x better than the bulbous sonata.
Hope the new car serves you well. Kia and hyundai have become serious cars these days, and if someone's opting out due to past image, i think they're missing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back