List of group 4 synthetic oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the newbie question but remember every time a senior member here answers a question, they help someone. I searched but cannot get to my question. I have been using Mobil One forever, but I don't know if it is group 3 or 4. From what I gather it is high quality group 3? Anyhow, using Mobil 1 has taught me and reinforced how good synthetics are even if it isn't the absolute top grade. Can anyone point me in the direction of a couple true group 4 synthetics. Currently I am considering Amsoil but I'm completely open for suggestions.

The reason I want the best oil I can find regardless of cost is because I just purchased a 400HP Hemi and I want to take the best care possible of it. So thanks for everyone who responds in advance, I can use the help!!

M1 is a blend, as are most others, and it really depends on the specific viscosity. It could contain mostly group 4 and 5 oils.

The best place to look for advice for your Hemi would be what the manufacturer/builder specs.

I just purchased a $30,000.00 Harley Davidson FLHX & I run only AMSOIL 20W-50 V-Twin in the motor & Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 in the 6-speed cruise drive transmision since AMSOIL is a true synthetic! Same for my Harley Davidson F-150. I run the AMSOIL Signature Series 5w-20! Another true Synthetic! The best deserves the best!

As a rule, European syn. oils are grp 4. However if you have a new Hemi requiring 5w-20 viscosity due to the operation of the VVT, your selection possibilities are limited. IMO don't worry about the base oils as much as the adpac that provides the results you are looking for. FWIW---Oldtommy

The common perception is -

Mobil 1 (Standard) has a high percentage of Group III with the possible exception of 0W40.

M1 EP has a higher percentage of GIV.

Without ponying up the bucks for testing its hard to say if the common perception is correct.

Amsoil OE and XL are GIII. All Amsoil lines above that should be GIV.

Redline is GIV/GV.

G-Oil is a GV (Beef Tallow based).

That said with todays technology you can make outstanding oils with GIII. Just ask the Ferrari Formula 1 Team.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
As a rule, European syn. oils are grp 4. However if you have a new Hemi requiring 5w-20 viscosity due to the operation of the VVT, your selection possibilities are limited. IMO don't worry about the base oils as much as the adpac that provides the results you are looking for. FWIW---Oldtommy

I thought the M1 0W-40 was the factory fill for the SRT8's for awhile, not a 5W-20 like in most run of the mill Mopar's? So any high quality 0W-40/5W-40 should be fine I would think. Pennzoil is now the factory fill btw.

Last edited:
A lot of oils will have small percentages of PAO. It's hard to call one single oil a "group IV". Even an oil that is a higher percentage of PAO will likely contain group III to carry the additives and maybe even some group V.

Originally Posted By: sammy
Can anyone point me in the direction of a couple true group 4 synthetics.....The reason I want the best oil I can find regardless of cost...

You have three choices:

1. Ask the manufacturer (assuming they will tell you, and assuming they don't lie or mislead)
2. Run a Gas Chromatogram.
3. Forget it - it's really not that important.

Tom NJ

PS - There is very good evidence that the Mobil 1 oils are based on a blend of Group III+, Group IV, and Group V base oils, the ratios depending on the grade.

Sorry for the newbie question but remember every time a senior member here answers a question, they help someone. I searched but cannot get to my question. I have been using Mobil One forever, but I don't know if it is group 3 or 4. From what I gather it is high quality group 3? Anyhow, using Mobil 1 has taught me and reinforced how good synthetics are even if it isn't the absolute top grade. Can anyone point me in the direction of a couple true group 4 synthetics. Currently I am considering Amsoil but I'm completely open for suggestions.

The reason I want the best oil I can find regardless of cost is because I just purchased a 400HP Hemi and I want to take the best care possible of it. So thanks for everyone who responds in advance, I can use the help!!

If you want to take the best care use a approved Chrysler oil and change at the factory recommendation. At this interval a brand name conventional will protect just as well as a group IV based synthetic.

I realize during the warranty period I need to change the oil every six months, but I don't mind spending extra to give my Truck better protection because I want to own it for the next twenty years. Any known group 4's for sure, I thought this would be easier? Does anyone market their product as group 4? Thanks again, and thanks for the replies so far.

Last edited:
For one thing you probably won't keep this truck for 20 years. Another is I doubt even Amsoil(it is a fine product) is a PAO only oil. Also it is my understanding that a blend of various grps(3+,4,5) actually makes for a higher quality base stock than straight 4-5.

Thanks Tig, it sounds like I have a couple votes for Amsoil and one for RP. Maybe it's not 100% group 4 but I never heard any issues with it. I had a Ford for 11 years and the biggest mistake I ever made was selling it. I regret it everyday and I have bought 6 brand new vehicles since and never held on to them. However, this Dodge is the 2010 truck of the year and is amazing on every level. Comfort, crazy power, and decent gas mileage. I'm shooting for owning it for twenty years, but who knows if I even have twenty left in me. I will take care of this baby and if I don't get twenty, my nephew will inherit a sweet truck!

Originally Posted By: tig1
For one thing you probably won't keep this truck for 20 years. Another is I doubt even Amsoil(it is a fine product) is a PAO only oil. Also it is my understanding that a blend of various grps(3+,4,5) actually makes for a higher quality base stock than straight 4-5.

My understanding is the same as Tig's (ie. combinations of grp III, IV and V make the best oil).

Most of the "true synthetic" argument is garbage. Give me a well formulated, robust oil at a superior price point than some feel good basestock argument. So many other things are critical.

Remember, your "true" synthetic can still have a terrible NOACK.

Any value proposition argument is pretty weak.

Or are you routinely starting up at -50?

No I'm in warm Cali, but I am wide WIDE open to suggestions. So what do you use JHZR2? What I will be looking for is something I can get true extended OCI's. Like 15k or better.

Last edited:
No I'm in warm Cali, but I am wide WIDE open to suggestions. So what do you use JHZR2? What I will be looking for is something I can get true extended OCI's. Like 15k or better.

NOACK would be important to you

Depends on the engine, the specs that it requires, and YOUR use profile and YOUR driving style. I wouldnt go for a 15k OCI willy nilly without UOA to back it up.

But keep in mind that oils like M1 EP, Amsoil SSO, and even M1 0w-40 are designed with 15k mile OCIs in mind.

Its performance, not basestock that is key. This means a well-balanced blend of the right oils and basestocks, modifiers, etc.

What is the application and what is your typical drive? I got the 400hp hemi part. Keep in mind also that depending upon usage and design, 15k mile OCIs may not be the best possible care...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back