Overfilling a half qt. in a 3.5 Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
This is the first time Ive changed the oil in my wifes 07 Vue, it has the Honda 3.5 engine. It calls for 4.5 qts. Is it alright if I dump in the whole 5 qt jug? My Blazer calls for 4.5 qts, and I dump in the whole 5qts, never a problem. But the 4.3 Chevy engine is an old school beast, that is forgiving. I just dont want to do anything stupid with her Vue, and im sure the 3.5 Honda is allot more refined, and perhaps not as tolerant to a lil extra oil?
Thank You for your opinions

I would put in 4.5 quarts and save the half quart for the next oil change. To answer your question, it will probably be ok but I would not do it.

I wouldn't either. I would just save it for when you have to add oil or just add in the last half a quart to the old oil you drained out and bring it to the recycler like usual. Wasteful, maybe but they should have thought about that when making a 4.5qt sump.

Last edited by a moderator:
"never a problem" means one serious enough that you notice. It will normally cause foaming from hitting the rod caps or counter balances of the crank. foam then gets sucked into the system, causing less lubrication, cavitation, etc. the damage is slow, but real.
1/2 qt is 14% high.

When I was letting the Honda dealer do some initial oil changes on my 07 3.0L, they always put in ~5 qts., when it calls for 4.5. I know because it was always above the top fill line after oc.

Very doubtful 1/2 qt. will hurt a thing.

When I drain my oil, I usually leave it for quite a while, and it's dripping at a pretty good rate for most of that. When I used to get my oil changed, they don't let it drain very long at all. Then they put in the recommended amount. I always overfill a bit. I'm pretty sure it equals out the same and a 1/2 qt isn't going to hurt anything...

IMO.....see if you can find an "oversized" spin on Oil filter for her Vue. I bet if you can find an oversized filter for her application....the Vue might take all 5 quarts of the 5 quart jug with no left over oil.

Again most owners manuals will put a WARNING: DO not overfill as it may cause severe engine damage. FORD says any overfill must be removed IMMEDIATELY. The real question is: how much is the true overfill before you get foaming and bearing damage. I feel a CUP is OK but thats about it. I hear cold knocking on any car i accidentally overfilled a pint.

If you had already put it in (accidental or not), I would say don't worry about it. But since you haven't put it in yet, I would suggest to just fill it as recommended by Honda. Keep the extra oil as make-up oil, if needed.

I try to be as exact as possible with the 5 quart jugs but sometimes if I go a little over, it's no big deal.

I've always put in the extra .5 quart of oil. No problems. I don't like having having half quarts laying around especially with 4 cars in the family that use different stuff. 5 quart jugs take up a lot of space when you have 3-4 of them with just .5 qt in each.

Originally Posted By: widman
"never a problem" means one serious enough that you notice. It will normally cause foaming from hitting the rod caps or counter balances of the crank. foam then gets sucked into the system, causing less lubrication, cavitation, etc. the damage is slow, but real.
1/2 qt is 14% high.

Never had a problem.
How often that is said!
And how often Widman's perspective is actually true!

For the OP, fill it with the correct amount if you have a choice.

I normally under-filled by 10-15%. Capacity of LS400 and S2000 are 5-5.2 quarts and I filled with 4.5 quarts, I filled 7.5 quarts in the E430 with capacity of 8.5 quarts. As long as the oil level is at the middle of the min and max on the dipstick, I'm okay with it.

I've added a full five quarts to the 3.5L in our 2008 Honda Odyssey every oil change since new. No issues.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back